Weekend of May 9-10

You all need to send some rain our way, it hasn't rained here in months and our grass is all brown, we are having some bad brush fires and the water shortage is so bad they won't barely let us water the lawn.

I live in Rockledge, near Melbourne. It really needs to rain here, too. My BIL lives in Orlando (west side-Windermere) and he said it rained some at his house the other night.

Golf plans: My husband, Darren, and I have a lesson on Saturday morning. Our girls usually come and get some hints, too, but one is at a sleepover party and the other one is going on a field trip/performance with her school.

We would usually play after the lesson, but then we have to pick up child 2 from sleepover and I need my hair done. Badly. (Roots and gray hair=bad combo)

We may squeeze in 9 on Sat afternoon (or practice), and we are playing 18 early on Sunday. The family is taking me to the Mother's Day brunch at our golf club after Sunday golf.

I LOVE weekends!

Playing golf tomorrow. Maybe hang out with my friend afterwards. Sunday spending all day with my grandma for mothers day.

I've decided to just stay in the house this weekend...

Why? I thought you had two rounds scheduled . . . and made a lot of us in rainville jealous as heck.

Im going to walk on solo early tomorrow and maybe Sunday too. Ive had a streak of bad luck lately when playing solo. They have been making me share carts with strangers so I will be walking tomorrow.

Why? I thought you had two rounds scheduled . . . and made a lot of us in rainville jealous as heck.

I wish it would rain here, it's been between 90-105 here. I may still try and play Sunday but some stuff came up so tomorrow is off the table for sure.

Nike Demo Day tomorrow. I thought I'd go hit some stuff just for the heck of it.

Had some heavy rain last night but it finally passed & looks to be a nice day in the upper 50's. Headed out for my rd at The Bull in a few hrs, will probably shoot a 110+ but don't care.

Well I took a Sat off work for the first Time since 3/28 8 hours PTO won't be golfing looks like thunderstorms and rainy here today but tomorrow 57 windy and cloudy will definitely get 18 holes in Sue wants to golf for mothers day, and as long as it is not raining I'm out there anytime no matter what the temp is so maybe I hit 100 tomorrow? hopefully.

Gonna try to play 9 on Saturday and another 9 on Sunday. I really have nothing going on this weekend and I got most of the yard work done yesterday afternoon, so its not as if I have anything better to do.

Gonna try to play 9 on Saturday and another 9 on Sunday. I really have nothing going on this weekend and I got most of the yard work done yesterday afternoon, so its not as if I have anything better to do.

You know that I could possibly be persuaded to play a rd tomorrow:D Edgerton is only about 40 minutes away.

Went out and played the other local municipal today, first time I've been able to sneak out as a single, played with 3 nice older gentlemen. Usually they don't have an opening since they run a scramble on Saturday mornings. :confused2:

I played pretty decent, kept most of my drives at least in playable locations. My short game was a bit off today and gave up some strokes there. I was at a 75 with 4 holes left, but then fell apart at the end with a quadruple, triple, double, double and came out with a 102 for the round. Still had a good time, and played 18 while chasing the last 4some of the scramble in about 4 hours or so.

Weather sucked (imo) thanks to about 90 degrees and no clouds.

I just got back from TPC. It was awesome!

Weather sucked (imo) thanks to about 90 degrees and no clouds.

Yeah. That would suck. I'll trade you a buttload of rain and clouds! (I know you guys are going through a drought there, it's just funny that we could use a break and would love the weather you guys are having, at least for a while).

We really do need to make a trade Smallville. Our grass is so brown and dead we need some rain badly!

I am finally home from work, I feel like I just wasted my saturday sitting in an office staring at a computer screen. I HATE working Saturdays!!!

I went to the Nike demo day at my local range today. It was the first sunny weekend day this spring and the place was PACKED.

Nike was the only company present and they only had two stalls. Fortunately, most people were more interested in hitting balls, so I didn't have to wait long.

I was only interested in trying one club: the VR Full Cavity irons. I am (typically) +1/2" and 3* upright. I had hit the VR at my local store in standard length and lie, and it just wasn't a good fit or a good indicator if the club would work in the correct specifications.

When I arrived, I was disappointed at the lack of non-standard clubs available for demo. There were two bags of 6 irons in miscellaneous models/shafts and when I asked for a +1/2, regular flex, upright lie, I was told they didn't have it. Not in stiff flex either. So I hit the standard length/lie again (but in stiff, because they didn't have regular flex.) Still not good - hitting on the toe and slicing.

Finally, I walked over to the Nike 360* fitting cart and noticed that there was a "VR Irons" compartment for heads. So I asked the Nike rep if he could build me a +1/2", upright club in regular flex. No again. No +1/2 steel shaft, No +1" regular flex shaft. Best match was +1" stiff flex. Best head match was 4* upright.

Still not perfect, but much better. I choked down on the shaft to try to mimmick +1/2" (it's not an acceptable substitute) and my ball flight changed from slice to high straight or draw. Head was too upright and I was hitting a little off-center (closer to the hosel now with the longer shaft.) But at least I was catching a portion of the sweet-spot now, and the club felt completely different.

I was in the middle of testing and I was hitting a smooth 6 when the swingweight went from factory specs to A0. I saw a reflection fly across my field of vision and looked down to find no head on the shaft. Of course, I immediatley replayed the swing in my head to try to figure out if I hit the mat fat and hard. But then I noticed that the shaft wasn't broken. The hosel sleeve had simply slipped off. The epoxy let loose and the club head went flying (about 65 yards, pulled, to be specific.) So, my day was over.

Here is the moral of my story to consumers: Do not buy clubs based on how they feel "standard" if you are not standard. They can feel wildly different when they are fit to you.

Here is the moral of my story to manufacturers (because this issue is absolutely NOT limited to Nike - in fact, it is most companies. Nike has actually gotten much better recently, even bringing a launch monitor to all their demo days.): If you think I am going to spend $600+ on a set of irons without having actually hit the exact club I need (i.e., length, loft, lie, flex, shaft, head) you are crazy. Show up to demo days with more options. By the way, I don't think +1/2", upright is that unusual. Also, why are irons always a stiff flex? Most amateurs don't have the swing speed for stiff flex in their irons.

I'm really glad I got to hit the VR Full Cavity in a configuration somewhat close to my specs because it's a nice feeling iron. If I had only hit it in standard specs, I would have completely dismissed it. I'm not sure yet whether the VR is for me, but definitely check it out if you are in the market for a game-improvement club that leans slightly toward a players club. (Better yet, just go read JB's review of the Nike VR Full Cavity irons. It's much better than anything I could say.)

And???

Saw your writeup--looks fabulous!

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I'll post it here as well, seeing how that's the only thing I've done/will be doing this weekend.

Just got back from Sawgrass.

Got up at 7:45, left at 8. Got there around 9-ish - had to stop to get a Monster, lol, I was so tired.

Started out by going to 9, where we followed Weir and Austin for 9 and 10. We then stayed at 10 and watched ~5 groups go through until Mickelson, and then we followed Mickelson from 10-14(or 15, can't remember). Saw Mickelson eagle one of the holes, and then birdie. We then followed Perez for two holes (see below). After that, we then went over to the first tee to see Tiger Woods from holes 1-4. After we watched Tiger, we went over to 17 and saw Zach Johnson and Cink play 17...then we left.

After Mickelson's approach shot on 13, we skipped ahead to 14 to get a good spot by the tee to watch him. Just then, Pat Perez was teeing off and after he hit the drive...he threw 2 of his golf balls to me and my brother - was pretty cool, so we followed him for two holes, and I guess I'm a fan of his now lol.
And I got pretty close to Tiger Woods, lol. First time ever seeing him in person, so it was like surreal. After his tee shot on 4, he was walking and I said "Nice shot, Tiger." and he looked at me and nodded. I thought it was pretty cool haha.

Is the TPC being replayed at all today? (3rd round) I guarantee I could see myself on there! I was RIGHT next to Karlsson's 2nd shot on 10, right next to Mickelson's tee shot on 11, and 12...and I was right next to Tiger on 2 and 4.

Overall, it was a lot of fun!

And I was shocked at how many players are playing the R9!

Yeah. That would suck. I'll trade you a buttload of rain and clouds! (I know you guys are going through a drought there, it's just funny that we could use a break and would love the weather you guys are having, at least for a while).

Done! Although it is nice that all the water hazards are at about half their normal depth/size right now. Makes for some pretty pathetic ponds!

Well, I'm home now...

We got to the Farm last night, and the power was out. A series of violent storms passed through the area, knocking out power. It was hot and muggy. I sat on the tailgate and smoked a cigar while the skies cleared. It was a full moon, one of those nights where it was so bright, you cast a shadow.

I finally fell asleep around 1:00. Woke up at 4:30 to the dog whimpering, needing to go out, and power was back on. The girls woke me back up at 7:30, and Twerpy had a violent whooping cough. We made the decision to pack up and head home this morning, to get her into the doctor before it turned into something even more nasty. It's just the croup, she tested negative for the flu; she'll be fine in a few days.

I spent the afternoon mowing the yard, and I built a club for Mom for Mother's Day. We went over to my folks' place for dinner and a movie, and I gave Mom her new club.

Tomorrow, I'm going to sleep in, and if she feels up to it, take Twerpy fishing for a little bit. I had a tee time for tomorrow afternoon, but I was guilted into cancelling it.

Harry, now I'm not looking forward to the Ping//Cleveland demo day coming up quite so much...

Harry, now I'm not looking forward to the Ping//Cleveland demo day coming up quite so much...

No, you should go. Just educate yourself before you go so you know what you need and can ask for it.

Nike is relatively new to the "fitting" game, but PING has been doing fitting for years and has the procedure down.

It also has can change drastically depending on what reps are in your area. Here, Nike Demo Days are freaking great. So are Callaway and others. While Titleist is a little poor for the ones they do at our club.

No, you should go. Just educate yourself before you go so you know what you need and can ask for it.

Nike is relatively new to the "fitting" game, but PING has been doing fitting for years and has the procedure down.

I know what I want with the Clevelands. Not so sure with the PINGs. I have a lesson scheduled between now and then, so that may help clarify things.

Hubby and I got The Kid out on the muni with us this afternoon. He hasn't played in two years, refuses to take (desperately needed) lessons, and has outgrown his junior clubs. So I had him playing with the Square Two women's starter set SIL handed down to Boo a few years ago. He had a few good shots and seemed to enjoy it. I thought I did horrible--two real blowup holes--but my final score wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

Back