Tiger's tantrums are starting to get tiresome...

Pinged

In Search of Bagger Vance
Reaction score
Handicap
I KNOW there are lots of Tiger fans, and I have NO hesitation agreeing that he is the greatest golfer of all time. He is the Michael Jordan of golf- unparalleled.

That said- I'm frankly getting a little tired of his tantrums as he struggles a bit to regain his pre-surgery form. Slamming the driver down after a bad drive, all of the F-bombs and other cussing, the frequent snot-rockets and loogies as he stomps off in disgust after an errant shot. It's really getting old.

I WANT to like Tiger- whether he's winning or losing. I WANT to respect him not only for how he PLAYS, but for WHO HE IS. But he's making it difficult.

Feel free to flame away if you want. I understand.

I actually agree with you Pinged. I like that he has some personality as many golfers have ZERO emotion, but his whining is getting old.

i agree with you completely Pinged. I find myself rooting against him these days. i cant stand the club throwing, the pouting after he misses a putt...

I agree with you too Pinged. I know it is all about winning for him but it sure would be nice to see him have just a little bit of fun out there. I know people knock Phil, but he sure seems to enjoy himself more out there than Tiger does. Just my opinion.

It seems as if it is the same in every sport. Have you ever watched Kobe Bryant play? He whines all game long. So do most of the NBA players. I too get tired of Tigers antics out there, but I am glad to see him show emotion. Guys like Ells and others have great swings and are okay to watch, but they are just plain boring.

It's the swearing that gets to me. First off, there are a zillion young kids who adore Tiger, and he owes them better than that. Part of his job is to be a role model, and he needs to understand that. Plus, swearing is just plain unimaginative. There are many, many words you can use to express frustration, anger, disgust, whatever--why limit yourself to seven?

I understand all your points above, and I am an admitted Tiger-apologist. I like that he cares enough about winning that he shows the passion and frustration. I agree that he could show it in some more constructive ways that cursing and club slamming.

I like Phil too, but he seems too many weeks like he takes the attitude of "Oh well, my game isn't here this week, there's always another tournament next week." Where Tiger is figuring out how he can shoot a 54 on the last day to come back from last.

Just an opinion :act-up:

Im with AD, but im not a Tiger fan. I like seeing the players show emotion. Everyone handles competition differently. It does suck for the people who watch it with children, but I think F bombs slip through to TV in every sport.

They do, and I must say Claire, I do not agree with the fact that it is his job to be a role model. It is his job to play golf. Yes being an athlete it comes with the territory, however if the swearing is the worst thing he does, than thank the lucky stars. Have you looked at other athletes recently?

MLB - Two of the best hitters, cheated and used drugs.
NBA - Best player went through rape trial
NFL - Where do I begin.

If the worst we see is the swearing, than that is okay in my book. Some will say that the other stuff is "off the field", however in todays age of information everywhere, it is just not the case anymore.

Huh! Just noticed that my Tiger-Rant was my 200th post! :confused2:

I don't know that that MEANS anything- but just noticed.

And yes, I DO like his passion for the game- just not his tantrums. I'll be glad to see Tiger win big again- and of course he will. But I find I'm having NO trouble rooting for whoever is beating him on any given weekend these days because he's acting like a spoiled brat.

I guess it feels like he has a sense of entitlement. Yes, he has revived the game of golf. Yes, he is the first golfer in history who will earm 1 Billion dollars in winnings and endorsements. Yes, he is arguably the best the game has ever produced- so far. Yes, he has a marvelous work ethic toward the game, to go along with his natural gifting.

But he also has a responsibility toward his fans, the kids who idolize him and toward the legacy of the great game of golf. It's been handed down to him because of the likes of Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer and dozens of others before him. And there will be others after Tiger. Likely there will be several better than Tiger in the next 100 years or so.

But for now he is "it" and I just feel like he could be gracious in losing and demonstrate a little more self-control when his game is faltering.

Sometime I'd love to hear, "So-and-so is a WONDERFUL golfer and he played a fantastic game all week. He really focused in the final round and I'm delighted to see him win this week" instead of, "Well, my game just isn't working this week and so I came up with too little too late."

While that MAY be true, it would be wonderful to hear him heap praise on other players when they win. It's not like anybody's going to think Tiger's a terrible golfer. We all *KNOW* he's the best the sport has ever produced so far. He doesn't need to remind us that the ONLY REASON ANYONE ELSE won is because his driver wasn't reliable this week, or because his putts just weren't falling this week.

OK... rant mode off. Tiger is AMAZING to watch and I'll likely not see a better golfer in my lifetime- though many of you 20-somethings probably will.

his tantrums are fine with me. its quite entertaining. but the swearing and spitting is very unprofessional considering the assumed etiquette of the game. with that said...I swear like a dirty pirate the entire round.

I really don't care what he does. Plenty of other guys do the same thing, you just don't see it because they aren't near the lead and no one cares if they hit a bad shot. If Ryan Palmer hits a drive into the trees, slams his club, and breaks out an f-bomb, does anyone ever know? Heck no they don't, because who wants to see Ryan Palmer hit a drive into the trees so it will never be on TV. If Tiger sneezes people want to see it. If he was you or me, there wouldn't be TV cameras everywhere and no one would ever see.

Is he supposed to not show emotion? Everyone loves the fist pump and when he gets excited. Well, he gets frustrated too, and he shows it. It is just part of being a professional athlete. In just about every other sport, showing emotion is expected. Does anyone get upset when Ray Lewis does his thing? He is the most emotional guy in the NFL and no one cares. Ray just wants to win, and he will do anything he can to win. Tiger is the same way. I think golfers just aren't supposed to show it. Problem is, millions of people see it when he does it.

They do, and I must say Claire, I do not agree with the fact that it is his job to be a role model. It is his job to play golf. Yes being an athlete it comes with the territory, however if the swearing is the worst thing he does, than thank the lucky stars. Have you looked at other athletes recently?

MLB - Two of the best hitters, cheated and used drugs.
NBA - Best player went through rape trial
NFL - Where do I begin.

If the worst we see is the swearing, than that is okay in my book. Some will say that the other stuff is "off the field", however in todays age of information everywhere, it is just not the case anymore.

Just because he's not as bad at the other guys doesn't make it okay. And part of the job IS to be a role model. Part of it is to yuck up the paying guests on pro-am day. Part of it is to fulfill the sponsor contracts. It isn't just about the golf.

I'm getting tired of it too. These guys are in the entertainment business. Most of them manage to keep their sentiments on the acceptable side. But Tiger doesn't even try. I don't mind an occasional club slam, but the obscenities are unacceptable.

Just because he's not as bad at the other guys doesn't make it okay. And part of the job IS to be a role model. Part of it is to yuck up the paying guests on pro-am day. Part of it is to fulfill the sponsor contracts. It isn't just about the golf.

Claire next time you see him throw a club or swear during the Pro-Ams I will agree. He does that part just fine and the sponsors keep coming around. WHile he is playing to win tournies it is not his job to be a role model. I disagree. Should he behave? Yes, but he is not obligated to. He is an independent contractor at those courses there for one reason, and that is to win. He gets paid based on his performance.

I really don't care what he does. Plenty of other guys do the same thing, you just don't see it because they aren't near the lead and no one cares if they hit a bad shot. If Ryan Palmer hits a drive into the trees, slams his club, and breaks out an f-bomb, does anyone ever know? Heck no they don't, because who wants to see Ryan Palmer hit a drive into the trees so it will never be on TV. If Tiger sneezes people want to see it. If he was you or me, there wouldn't be TV cameras everywhere and no one would ever see.

Is he supposed to not show emotion? Everyone loves the fist pump and when he gets excited. Well, he gets frustrated too, and he shows it. It is just part of being a professional athlete. In just about every other sport, showing emotion is expected. Does anyone get upset when Ray Lewis does his thing? He is the most emotional guy in the NFL and no one cares. Ray just wants to win, and he will do anything he can to win. Tiger is the same way. I think golfers just aren't supposed to show it. Problem is, millions of people see it when he does it.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. It doesn't surprise me he shows so much emotion considering his level of play and his highly competitive nature. I mean just because his fans can be as close as 5 feet from him and can hear is obscenities shouldn't make any difference. As SCF mentioned all professional sports act as such and nobody makes mention of it.

I'm definately guilty of this myself on the course and even shouting it out on occasion.

Now if a pirate already has a dirty mouth to begin with, how bad would a dirty pirates mouth be?

play a round with me and you will know...definitely not pg-13...haha

It's the swearing that gets to me. First off, there are a zillion young kids who adore Tiger, and he owes them better than that. Part of his job is to be a role model, and he needs to understand that. Plus, swearing is just plain unimaginative. There are many, many words you can use to express frustration, anger, disgust, whatever--why limit yourself to seven?
Seven ...I've been through basic training...that bumped my repertoire to at lease 3 or 4 dozen
But I agree about Tiger...I liked him better when he could smile and recover from adversity.How he's becoming a primadonna.And the bitching about camera clicks from cellphones and digital cameras on the tee box is a little old for me.I'm a hacker and I can hit a tee shot with someone heckling me in the background.

But we all agree that snipers should be able to take out the "Get in the hole!" and "You da' man!" guys, right?

Spoiler
Okay, maybe tranq guns instead of live ammo. But still...

But I agree about Tiger...I liked him better when he could smile and recover from adversity.How he's becoming a primadonna. And the bitching about camera clicks from cellphones and digital cameras on the tee box is a little old for me.I'm a hacker and I can hit a tee shot with someone heckling me in the background.

Well said! :clapp:

...And the bitching about camera clicks from cellphones and digital cameras on the tee box is a little old for me.I'm a hacker and I can hit a tee shot with someone heckling me in the background.

I can hit with people talking also, it doesn't bother me. No noise will bother me as long as it is constant. The problem is when it is quiet and then you get one single sudden noise. That will disrupt anyone. If it was a constant camera click, it wouldn't be noticed, but when it is one on the downswing it will be noticed.

But we all agree that snipers should be able to take out the "Get in the hole!" and "You da' man!" guys, right?

Spoiler
Okay, maybe tranq guns instead of live ammo. But still...

live ammo...hollow points

STL,
Keep in mind, that none of you guys are hitting with the same pressure as him with this many people and the fact that every shot is recorded and shown to the world. And your career counts with each shot as well. A little different courses and when one of us is hitting with that much pressure and puts it right down the middle they will know what he is feeling like.

good point JB. Its very easy to sit at home watching on tv and say make comments but the pros's are on a different playing field than we are when playing a round with friends.

Back