Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind from my recent difficulties that it is possible to swap out LCDs (if it is your screen and not your computer) -- and you can do it yourself for $300 or less depending on what sort of LCD you decide to buy.

I am going to add on to my rant.

I went to the Gateway website and sent them a support request email. My laptop is well out of warranty. Purchased 4 years ago, but running strong with RAM upgrades. I've done this before (when it was out of warranty) and got a very helpful response. At worst, I figured they could tell me what replacement parts I needed to buy and how much it would cost.

Uhh, no. (Because this is your life Harry, what made you think anything about it would work out...)

I got an automated response saying that Gateway's business machines department (my laptop was a "business machine"?) was sold to MPC (formerly Micron PC) in 2007 and I have to contact them. Here are some links . . .

(Except this is your life Harry, what made you think the links would be helpful . . .)

None of the links worked. Guess what? MPC filed bankruptcy and liquidated.

I know my computer is 4 years old. I was planning on saving my pennies and upgrading when Windows 7 and N-standard wireless were released. Now I can either be tethered to an external monitor, or scrape together everything I can and buy the cheapest laptop I can find.

Plus, I'm sitting here whining about not having a functioning laptop when there are people starving in Africa. What the hell is wrong with me?

"Women"...that is all.

My Rant for the weekend.

My wife and I were rear-ended leaving our housing community and now we have to deal with an Insurance company. Luckily there was only property damage and no one was hurt (other than a little whiplash).

Harry--you DO have a way for the computer to function, right? A CRT may not be ideal, but it's better than going unplugged.

My Rant for the weekend.

My wife and I were rear-ended leaving our housing community and now we have to deal with an Insurance company. Luckily there was only property damage and no one was hurt (other than a little whiplash).

Ouch! Tell us the other driver was insured, so it's not on your tab. Still, that's never any fun.

Ouch! Tell us the other driver was insured, so it's not on your tab. Still, that's never any fun.

He handed the officer an insurance card. Hopefully it's paid up to date. If not I'll be footing the bill. Anyone interested in some slightly used x-22's. :laugh: Hopefully it will go smooth and the insurance company won't give me any crap.

Hope it works out for you Bogey, I've always had pretty good experiences with insurance companies. Of course that might be because I have low expectations of them going in.

I really wish it didn't bother me, but the "GET IN THE HOLE!!!!" guys just drive me bananas.

Agreed. Those people drive me nuts. I like the ones that scream it when the ball isn't anywhere close to the hole.

Harry,
I thought of you yesterday while I watched the last couple holes of the Players. I think it was Poulter on 18. He hit a 3W I believe is what the said. As soon as he hit it there was some drunk moron that yelled "Get in the hole." The ball landed in the middle of the fairway and he had a decent way to go to the green. I wanted to jump through the tv and strangle someone. I've got a couple contacts in the Army. I think we could arrange for those snipers you mentioned. :wink:

on the last hole on Stensons tee shot, everyone yelled it. It's as if those morons have to get the last words of the tournaments.

Harry,
I thought of you yesterday while I watched the last couple holes of the Players. I think it was Poulter on 18. He hit a 3W I believe is what the said. As soon as he hit it there was some drunk moron that yelled "Get in the hole." The ball landed in the middle of the fairway and he had a decent way to go to the green. I wanted to jump through the tv and strangle someone. I've got a couple contacts in the Army. I think we could arrange for those snipers you mentioned. :wink:

that crap is really starting to irritate me as well. the next idiot that yells that needs to be knocked out

i even heard one guy yell "AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!" on one of the holes. it wasnt a word or anything, just an incoherent yell... IDIOTS

on the last hole on Stensons tee shot, everyone yelled it. It's as if those morons have to get the last words of the tournaments.

Did he hit a fairway wood? That might have been who it was. I like the idea of a shock collar. I think they should pass them out at the gates and if your voice gets over a certain range then is shocks you. Kind of like the bark collars.

Did he hit a fairway wood? That might have been who it was. I like the idea of a shock collar. I think they should pass them out at the gates and if your voice gets over a certain range then is shocks you. Kind of like the bark collars.

Yes he did hit a fairway wood.

Good idea bogey.

So I got a new TV for my room, a 26" Samsung, and we figured if I was going to be spending all my time in my room, we might as well get a computer tower to hook up to the TV, so we did. Now this isn't the rant, because it works perfectly, and I'm posting from it now, the problem is with iTunes.

Now I downloaded iTunes and can get into the iTunes store and stuff fine, but when I plug in my phone and try to sync it, nothing happens. My phone is synced with a Mac, and the new computer is an HP, and I know formatting on iTunes for the two are different. But when I go to my friends houses and get songs from them, and they don't have Mac's, it tells me that the device is synced with another computer, blah blah blah. Well my new one doesn't even tell me that, and I want my damn music on my new computer.

Anyone got any ideas? I think I'm just going to put all my music on a flash drive from my Mac and do it that way.

JB's right. A lot of factory radios have an anti-theft feature that when removed/battery power lost/etc they require a 4 digit security code to be entered before they will work again. The dealership should be able to get you the code you need.

And they did--over the phone! It even worked. Hooray, and thank you.

The music player on my Crackberry is on the fritz, had to mow the yard without any tunes today.:at-wits-end: I'm not very happy with the Blackberry Pearl, it seems like every day there is something that isn't working at some point.

And they did--over the phone! It even worked. Hooray, and thank you.

If they are going to do it over the phone, why bother to have the supposed anti-theft device? How do they know you weren't the one who stole it? I mean, I'm glad you got the problem fixed, but really, what's the frickin' point?

We have a bunch of peonies that are blooming, and they are so heavy a lot of them are flopped down to the ground. So I cut a bunch to make a bouquet. Look really good, too, except I forgot to check for ants! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

If they are going to do it over the phone, why bother to have the supposed anti-theft device? How do they know you weren't the one who stole it? I mean, I'm glad you got the problem fixed, but really, what's the frickin' point?

Well, I told them when we bought it from them and complained enough about the $2,300 I'd spent back in March servicing my car that I must have been pretty convincing.

We have internet/cable tv at work through Comcast small business. Something is up with the server at Comcast's end--every couple of minutes, I get a popup asking me for the internet password for the generic office email account. It's annoying as heck and has been going on since Friday. Yesterday, my office manager suggested I just drag the popup down to the corner of my screen. When I did that, I didn't get any email at all. So I have to live with it for awhile.

If I had heard anything but total pans for Verizon Fios, we'd be talking to them now.

I went through that exact same thing last week Claire. It is a pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back