Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I also haven't had the wear issue. I know early makes had a different finish that didn't wear as well. Perhaps that's the issue?

I also didn't have a good experience with the CFS shafts when demoing, but I put TT Dynamic Gold X100s in mine and can, with no reservations, say they're the best irons I've ever played. This wouldn't, however, lead me to say nobody should use the CFSs. Plenty of people seem to hit the CFS shafts perfectly well.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

My i20's have been through 50+ rounds now and still look great.

I'll throw in that I love the C-Tapers in mine, but I enjoyed my CFS trial enough that I'm going to try a hard stepped S set in them this winter.

Calling a shaft bad because it doesn't fit you just isn't fair IMO, its why fitting is key, everyone is different.

I am planning to get refitted this fall. My swing has gotten better so I want to make sure i am playing the correct lie, shaft, and shaft stiffness.

Well folks! It's official. 1st round without my dreaded i20's and my shots are now going straight again with distance control. The feedback my new set of forged irons give in one round was better than I got from several dozen (plus practice) with the i20's.

If you are still going for the i20's then please look at Projectx or another non-Ping shaft. My advice to people is to avoid the CFS shafts like the plague. My experience with them was that they were dead and for some reason or another the balls went left like some of the other people in here that play the same shaft. Good luck guys! We're now into the season of the year where clubs are coming down in price so shop around, don't believe the hype and actually play a demo set instead of relying on mats and monitors like I did.

I know this isn't what die-hard Ping users want to hear but I feel other opinions than "they are great" would be useful to guys using this forum as a decision guide. I did and lost time, balls and confidence in the process.

My experience of the i20's was that as much as they look great they did nothing for my game, aged very quickly, and provided very little feedback in terms of contact so distance control was a guess at best. I'm hoping for Ping's sake that this is just a poor fitting and shaft in my case. One thing's for sure, there are a heap of these on ebay with CFS shafts so draw your own conclusions. I'm waiting to see how damaged they look after a season or two for those of you that want to have them on show and don't want to look like an old man. Lets face it, they do look great and it's in our nature to show off so covering them is almost Monk-like.

Good luck folks!

After over a month of demo'ing the I20's in CFS, DG, and KBS, and then choosing the CFS, I can guarantee the CFS is not the plague of all mankind. I'm sorry that they didn't work for you and that you got talked into it/railroaded by your fitter, but that's no reason to say what you said in your post. I myself absolutely HATE the feel of project X shafts, and the ball flight I receive with them; but that in no way means that some one on the other end of the spectrum (someone like yourself) will not have great results with them.

Yes its good to have honest feedback, and yes quite a few of the posters in this thread use the CFS/i20 combo and post often, but "One man's trash is another man's treasure" applies to golf more so than any other sport out there when it comes to "Feel". But none of it is trash, not a lick of it, they are all simply "Options" that the great golfing companies have given us at our request.

I do also take issue with one comment, I really can't help it:

I feel other opinions than "they are great" would be useful to guys using this forum as a decision guide.

As a tester, I am a bit defensive about this, but I also understand things work for some and not others. I take issue with the comment though implying this testing was simply full of "they are great" comments, I really do. I'm a-ok with differing opinions, but to say that was all that was in here is discrediting the hard work and hours upon hours that went into this testing.

Me too Jman. Just hope in the end folks realize we are not Ping homers and what we as testers put out there is straight up truth based on what we see on the course, not fluff. I know that if you say these irons are incredible it's legit based on the quality of your test posts. That said, there's a reason so many choices exist.

Negative feedback and differing opinions are good in my book. Just know that we acted with integrity throughout the whole test. Hope everyone who's followed along knows that.

Ok. So I hit one of these again and it was all I could do to not try and smuggle the demo club out of the store! I was able to find a Green Dot +1/2", with the stiff CFS. Hit it against a demo CG16 7I with a regular flex shaft, which is as close to my irons as I could get. I was striping this thing to just about 160, which was just short of where I was hitting the (strong lofted) CG16 7I. Actually had a better dispersion with the I20 7I... Ponder mode just kicked into overdrive. I can't afford these with the wedding coming up, but man have I enjoyed hitting the ones I have got my hands on. I just hope I'll be able to go back to the CG16s as my regular gamers. :arrogant: LOL

I want to do a full iron fitting and be as objective as possible, but these are by far the best irons I've hit this season.

Me too Jman. Just hope in the end folks realize we are not Ping homers and what we as testers put out there is straight up truth based on what we see on the course, not fluff. I know that if you say these irons are incredible it's legit based on the quality of your test posts. That said, there's a reason so many choices exist.

Negative feedback and differing opinions are good in my book. Just know that we acted with integrity throughout the whole test. Hope everyone who's followed along knows that.

Hate to double post, but I don't think that anyone who's read this entire thread (which is crazy long btw) doubts that Griff. All the testers did an awesome job.

Taking offense was not what I wanted but fair enough. I never said that CFS were useless for everyone but did say that others should be looked at. Take a look at eBay and you will see the number of CFS shafted ones on there. For such great shafts and clubs I would have expected different. Also, saying my irons were an old batch is hilarious guys. Is that official from Ping? Mine were only 2 Months old guys!! I also never said every single comment was a positive one and my point was that I wanted people to stop and think more than I did (my fault) before spending their money. Sorry if my comments offend (I actually really) am but we are all big boys here. Honestly, good luck with yours fellas.

Taking offense was not what I wanted but fair enough. I never said that CFS were useless for everyone but did say that others should be looked at. Take a look at eBay and you will see the number of CFS shafted ones on there. For such great shafts and clubs I would have expected different. Also, saying my irons were an old batch is hilarious guys. Is that official from Ping? Mine were only 2 Months old guys!! I also never said every single comment was a positive one and my point was that I wanted people to stop and think more than I did (my fault) before spending their money. Sorry if my comments offend I actually really am bu we are all big boys here. Honestly, good luck with yours fellas.

Old batch was in reference to the FINISH on the irons. PING had two different batches, the original darker finish and the current lighter finish. This was discussed and debated upon at length earlier and really throughout this testing thread and yes, it is official from PING.

I do think there have been folks who have posted complaints about the finish and it's something that I still fear about mine. I really took no offense to your post as I do believe you were thorough in your testing. I think a couple of words you typed may have been taken out of context or it was slightly poor delivery. I don't think anyone's jumping on anyone too hard.

I do think there have been folks who have posted complaints about the finish and it's something that I still fear about mine. I really took no offense to your post as I do believe you were thorough in your testing. I think a couple of words you typed may have been taken out of context or it was slightly poor delivery. I don't think anyone's jumping on anyone too hard.

Yep, the finish has been talked about alot. I'm not one that it would bother either way but mine have held up crazy good for the staggering number of rounds I put on them this summer. This makes me happy! Hahaha

Taking offense was not what I wanted but fair enough. I never said that CFS were useless for everyone but did say that others should be looked at. Take a look at eBay and you will see the number of CFS shafted ones on there. For such great shafts and clubs I would have expected different. Also, saying my irons were an old batch is hilarious guys. Is that official from Ping? Mine were only 2 Months old guys!! I also never said every single comment was a positive one and my point was that I wanted people to stop and think more than I did (my fault) before spending their money. Sorry if my comments offend (I actually really) am but we are all big boys here. Honestly, good luck with yours fellas.

No this was your exact word "My advice to people is to avoid the CFS shafts like the plague" How is that not saying they are useless for everyone? I understand they didnt work for you, but there are people here who did enjoy the stock offering.

CFS is the stock shaft the was sold with the i20's, so of course there will be more of them on ebay. Just like you see the stock shafts for any iron/driver/fairway being the majority on ebay. Golfers tend to buy and sell a lot of equipment.

Also, Ping did change the finish of the irons to be a bit more durable(not fade) as much as the original finish.

The testers each ordered their clubs with different shafts there is a lot of different opinions about them. They also has been people who did not like the clubs that have posted in this thread. We aren't trying to get people to buy the clubs, we are just giving our honest review of them.

Yep, the finish has been talked about alot. I'm not one that it would bother either way but mine have held up crazy good for the staggering number of rounds I put on them this summer. This makes me happy! Hahaha

I've had no issues either. I do have some streaky looking residue or something that I can catch in the sun at the right angle. I think it's pretty natural for folks to get a little defensive about what they have in their bag. I now I can push the crap out of Cobra owners buttons, LOL

I have no problem with feedback not being positive or whatever but when the bulk of everyone who tries these or buys these is overwhelmingly positive, something must really not be clicking for them not to accomodate. I could see the CFS, or more importantly the D0 swing weight, not working well for someone. Hence the importance of fitting. PING is great about having their heads/shaft combo's accessible and I would certainly recommend that everyone go that route prior to purchasing.

I've had no issues either. I do have some streaky looking residue or something that I can catch in the sun at the right angle. I think it's pretty natural for folks to get a little defensive about what they have in their bag. I now I can push the crap out of Cobra owners buttons, LOL

I have no problem with feedback not being positive or whatever but when the bulk of everyone who tries these or buys these is overwhelmingly positive, something must really not be clicking for them not to accomodate. I could see the CFS, or more importantly the D0 swing weight, not working well for someone. Hence the importance of fitting. PING is great about having their heads/shaft combo's accessible and I would certainly recommend that everyone go that route prior to purchasing.

Agreed, for me, having tried a buddies i20's the best thing I did was get the swing weight upped, I'm just one of those freaks who really gets thrown off by something like that.

Agreed, for me, having tried a buddies i20's the best thing I did was get the swing weight upped, I'm just one of those freaks who really gets thrown off by something like that.

I can see that. Perhaps I'm just the freak that found something special.

Eh, its like we said, everyone is different. Its the beauty of it all.

I actually liked the weight of them when I hit the 7I today. I noticed a difference, but it didn't bother me one bit. I've already started scheming on which ones I want to buy... The only thing I'm wary of is the length of my current clubs. I was playing a demo that was +1/2". According to the specs on their site, that's a full inch shorter than my current clubs CG16 +1", but I was striping it. I need to go get fitted, but it will be hard for me not to have opinions this time around. I don't feel like I need my irons to be that long. I was at a lesson last month and my instructor grabbed my 5I. He said that it was the longest 5I he's ever held.

I actually liked the weight of them when I hit the 7I today. I noticed a difference, but it didn't bother me one bit. I've already started scheming on which ones I want to buy... The only thing I'm wary of is the length of my current clubs. I was playing a demo that was +1/2". According to the specs on their site, that's a full inch shorter than my current clubs CG16 +1", but I was striping it. I need to go get fitted, but it will be hard for me not to have opinions this time around. I don't feel like I need my irons to be that long. I was at a lesson last month and my instructor grabbed my 5I. He said that it was the longest 5I he's ever held.

You know, I am 6'4 and typically play most irons +1/2''. When I went to get fit for my i20's, I mentioned the stock lengths being shorter and all that, yet when I tested a few different shafts and length configurations their +1/2'' suited me just fine.

I can comment on so many facets of the OP. First I will say honest dialog is what makes this place great. I was one of the purchasers of the first finish PING came out with. The dark finish quickly began to wear so I contacted PING shipped the clubs and they made it right and there have no issues with my sticks. Kudos to PING. As for the CFS shafts they have worked out very well fir me and I am one who normally plays graphite. From what I have seen read and tried the CFS appears to work nicely for most if the general public however not for everyone. That is why a proper fitting is crucial. I hope to game mine for quite some time. The key is finding the right irons for your game.

TapAhoy!

Well put SMG, I'd expect nothing less though dude.

Well the i20s have arrived and they are glorious! I hit a large bucket and I am getting a beautiful ballflight. So far so good!

Time to update that sig I reckon.

Very nice. Very thorough. Enjoy the new sticks.

Back