Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Please remind me how important it is not to overswimg this club. Probably have played twenty rounds or more and still more inconsistent than I should be. Smooth tempo required!

Find a Kusala shaft that matches your swing and throw it in there. You can step on it and unleash on the ball a lot harder with a Kusala series without worrying about losing it so much with that shaft. This is my experience anyways.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Are you hooking it or fading it? What goes wrong when it goes wrong?

I tend to hit low, snap hooks when I lose the driver swing. It's most definitely operator error, so I do not mean to blame the club at all. It's just that when all goes poorly for my swing, the hook is noticeably worse with the Classic.

All that said, I think I may have found something towards the end of my range session yesterday. Then, when comparing the Classic and Fast 12, the Classic was winning out for sure. Straight, penetrating ball flight, probably in the 260-270 range with the Classic. The F12, on the other hand, was a high fade, not terrible, probably in the 240. So assuming I can keep working on this and get myself straightened out, the Classic will be the gamer.

I should qualify all of this with the fact that I've had a pretty inconsistent driver swing lately. If I'm on, they're all similar with the Classic winning out by a hair. When I'm way off, I actually tend to hit the R7 the best, but I think that's mostly just familiarity (I've had it for quite a while) and the resulting confidence.

Thanks 311. I battled the hooks for a couple weeks this summer. My swing had gotten really shallow.

I love the sound this driver makes. It is not loud at all. I have decided that I am going to cut it down and put a tour velvet grip on it. This thing is a bomber for sure. It is begging for a B.Asha shaft too.

Thanks 311. I battled the hooks for a couple weeks this summer. My swing had gotten really shallow.

I love the sound this driver makes. It is not loud at all. I have decided that I am going to cut it down and put a tour velvet grip on it. This thing is a bomber for sure. It is begging for a B.Asha shaft too.

What shaft do you have in it now dude?

I bet a B.Asha would look fantastic in there!

Every time I get a chance to hit this driver I get excited. Will be getting back out there a bit later today.

I've had the opposite problem lately. I've been trying to steepen my swing a little and now my miss is a high fade. I really think I'm going to have to flatten my driver swing back out. Hopefully I can make it to the range next week and start working on this.

I've had the opposite problem lately. I've been trying to steepen my swing a little and now my miss is a high fade. I really think I'm going to have to flatten my driver swing back out. Hopefully I can make it to the range next week and start working on this.

My miss lately has been the same, but it is just because I don't close down the face. If it hooks now, it is because I got too quick in my transition from backswing to swing. Golf is hard.

I love seeing all the conversation going on here. It is getting me pumped to play after work in a few hours.

I played this past weekend and wasn't as accurate as I usually am (cue excuse), but I think that was partially because I overdid it on the range the day before. The Classic (like most clubs) rewards a nice, smooth swing. I just have to remind myself to take it easy.

Golf is hard.

Amen to that! I was hitting the Classic well over the weekend and for some strange reason thought that might carry over to yesterday afternoon's round.
In defense of the Classic, I was playing in a scramble and trying some shots that I wouldn't usually try... but I was still a bit disappointed in the results. I've hit some great drives with the Classic, but I'm having trouble drawing the ball with it. Something that was not a problem with my G10.

I noticed that lately I've been putting the ball more towards the middle of my stance when driving. That's something I'm going to have to work on next time I get out. Could that maybe be why I'm having so much trouble hitting this driver? With my R11S it works fine with that ball placement, just a lower ball flight. I'm determined to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Everyone else seems to love the Classic so much it's now become a challenge for me.

That's really far back for the driver.

I would say you need to have the ball further forward in your stance. Middle of the stance is much to far back I would think.

That's really far back for the driver.

Yeah, I don't even know how it happened, just that last time I was out I noticed I was doing it and when I tried to put it where it should be it felt really awkward. Guess I have a lot of work to do now. Maybe I'm overcompensating for something I'm way off on. Wish there was still a driving range near me.

You definitely aren't the first one, Kobey. I like to tee it up high on my front heel in the hopes that I'll catch it on the upswing. That keeps me from both back and side spinning the ball too much.

You typically want to hit the driver with an ascending blow correct?

Theoretically, though you'll see most male professionals average a (very) slight decending blow.

You typically want to hit the driver with an ascending blow correct?

Ideally, yes. Hitting it with a descending blow introduces excessive backspin which is generally detrimental to an ideal drive.

I reckon my Cleveland Classic 9* came in today. I barely made it to the range for a minute. I only hit about 5 balls with it and I think they will be fine by me. This thing is going to be a beast I think.

I reckon my Cleveland Classic 9* came in today. I barely made it to the range for a minute. I only hit about 5 balls with it and I think they will be fine by me. This thing is going to be a beast I think.

I hope you like it as much as I do. What shaft do you have in it Grant?

I made the mistake of letting a long knocker hit my Classic today. At least he showed it a good time for awhile. I don't like it getting a taste of what else is out there.

I made the mistake of letting a long knocker hit my Classic today. At least he showed it a good time for awhile. I don't like it getting a taste of what else is out there.

At least she's loyal though. She came back to you, right?

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Heck yea. I smoked a few Hawk-style after him at least. I always enjoy seeing the big swingers hit this thing. Most have still put a good ball out there with the 43S and they are almost always surprised.

I was able to play 9 after work today in the rain and I was hitting the Classic pretty darn well. I love the way this thing feels when you hit it well. I didn't hit every fairway but the ones I missed I was still in good position.

Back