Don't like results of my Mizuno fitting, please help

I agree with much of what has been said. I guess the surprising part to me was being recommended a reg flex shaft after being recommended a stiff flex in my 19 hybrid, 3w and driver. It just didnt make sense to me. Is it unheard of or uncommon to play a different flex in the irons?

I may be way off here also, but I was assuming that the mp59's would play somewhat closely to my i5's? Lofts are the same, offset is a bit less, I prefer the look of the thinner sole/topline. Am I comparing apples and oranges here?

A friend of mine went through a golfTEC fitting and was fit for stiff in his woods and regular in his irons. It isn't uncommon for people to be fit into a more flexible shaft in irons. My suggestion would be to wait a little before buying new irons. Get more time in with the PGA pro you are working with and once you're comfortable with your swing then get fit.

Did you hit the optimizer indoors? I ask because I have a weird mental block where I cannot make a normal swing at my normal SS indoors nd perhaps you are like me without realizing it. If it was indoors try to find somewhere with a shaft optimizer that you can hit outdoors off natural surfaces.

Just my two cents here: first, mention your iron swing speed then make a comment relative to a former driver fitting or a hybrid fitting- I can't help but wonder if you understand there is a difference in swing speeds driver vs iron vs hybrid...

Secondly, after I went through a shaft optimizer fitting years ago, I had some discussions with three different fitters. To a man, they didn't like the recommendations they saw with the optimizer in fittings they had experienced. Not saying it isn't accurate or a quality product, just saying some fitters disagree with its recommendations.

The stiffness and weight of shaft will be dictated by your ss, but equally important is your release factor and tempo.

You should try to JPX Pro's or Bridgestone DPC's...a hybrid of players and GI irons.

I have seen many people get fitted into S300's with SS of 76-78 if their tempo is quick and R300 with 82 MPH swing if their tempo is slow.

The simple answer is hit the irons outside on the range and watch the ball flight. IMHO, launch monitors and fitting sessions are only an estimate - you still have to take the club/shaft for a test drive.

I did this awhile back as well and it reccomended me for the 800 pros along with the s300s and other shafts similar. I ended up putting dynalite xp's in them and they are great. They spin a tad more than the s300s but I really don't have a problem with them ballooning on me at all. The optimizer is a great tool and its usually pretty close to what you should look for.

Seriously. Tappin'.

Thanks for the replies.

I couldnt resist and went in again for another session with the optimizer. Got the SS up to around 83, and release numbers down to a 7. Recommended shafts were the dynalite S300R and KBS tour R. After a lie adjustment tweaking, I was shocked at the results with these 2 shafts. Blindfolded I probably couldnt tell the difference, but I thought the KBS was just a fraction smoother. The forgiveness was there with these irons surprisingly. I could 100% feel mishits more that with my i5's, but I want that. I want to know swing flaws and fix them.

Nevertheless, I am now waiting for a set of 59's with KBS tour R's, and I couldn't be more excited.

Congrats on the purchase. At least after having another fitting you can be sure that what you are ordering fits both numbers wise and your eye.

What's the point of a fitting if you decide that you don't like the results because it didn't come up as a match to what you had previously decided you wanted?

Have you tried hitting the combo that it recommended to see how it would work?

this is exactly what I was going to say. You simply can not go into a fitting, already having your mind made up what you want.
do it again, without any preconceived notions of what set you need/want.

swing how you swing on the golf course. the numbers dont lie, you will like the results of the fitting, if you are true to your game when being fitted.

Thanks for the replies.

I couldnt resist and went in again for another session with the optimizer. Got the SS up to around 83, and release numbers down to a 7. Recommended shafts were the dynalite S300R and KBS tour R. After a lie adjustment tweaking, I was shocked at the results with these 2 shafts. Blindfolded I probably couldnt tell the difference, but I thought the KBS was just a fraction smoother. The forgiveness was there with these irons surprisingly. I could 100% feel mishits more that with my i5's, but I want that. I want to know swing flaws and fix them.

Nevertheless, I am now waiting for a set of 59's with KBS tour R's, and I couldn't be more excited.

disregard my previous post.. you made the right decision getting refitted. nice work!

Back