SCOR Wedges Review - THP Demo Day

I didn't need to test the SCOR wedges at the Dem Day outing I played mine during many rounds at Grand Cypress.

same here, and now that we've been home a couple weeks, I would say I've even gotten 100% better with them as I've dialed in the yardages and really feel like it's point-and-shoot at this point.

story....Overshot a green last night playing a quick nine. Ball was on the slope behind the green used, I gather, to catch balls that run out too hard or simply are hit over the green. Now I'm looking at a weird 45* sidehill lie, ball above feet a couple inches with 6 paces to the fringe and the pin only about 4 more past that. When I line it up, the hill reduces my 58* loft to about that of a 3 iron. My buddy says "you ain't getting that ball anywhere near the hole, just hit it!" I thought about it, trusted the club, slid it right under the ball, which lands on the fringe nice and soft and rolls to about 18". My buddy was not smiling near as much as I was.

I'll be contacting Shawn to supplement this 58.

Hawkeye - thanks for your kind words and support. We have a simple motto...just do the right thing.

My father-in-law will get such a kick out of this. He was class of 72' at Iowa...yellow blood. Grew up in small SW Iowa farm town called Packwood. Spent almost his entire career with Pella Window & Doors. He'll be excited to know we now have two Hawkeyes playing SCOR4161!

Well this in interesting, Packwood is about 13 miles from Fairfield in the SE corner where I went to HS school. I grew up in a smaller town just to the east of Fairfield. So not only a couple Hawkeyes (class of '95), but good old SE Iowans!!!

Love the motto, wish more companies thought the same way!

My clubs are about 50 miles away. No love till Monday though

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Well this in interesting, Packwood is about 13 miles from Fairfield in the SE corner where I went to HS school. I grew up in a smaller town just to the east of Fairfield. So not only a couple Hawkeyes (class of '95), but good old SE Iowans!!!

Love the motto, wish more companies thought the same way!

So I messed up the SW thing. Sittin here eating dinner with my in-laws. They're guessing Rome, IA?

So I messed up the SW thing. Sittin here eating dinner with my in-laws. They're guessing Rome, IA?

You had the south right ;). Good guess but Lockridge.

Santa showed up this afternoon. Pictures don't do these justice, WOW are they sweet!!!! Can't wait to get to the range, not sure when that will be but I have to find time. Thanks again Shawn to you and everyone at SCOR.

UPS package waiting for me at home. I'm very excited to put these wedges through the paces. GW will be immediately put into play as I currently am missing that club in my bag. The other 2 wedges will have to wait until after the MC

Congrats, guys and hit them well!

I have been thinking a lot about my short game and I think it is probably the biggest area for improvement in my game. Far too often I hit a couple nice shots getting me close to the green on a par 5 in two strokes and ending up at an 8. I also reviewed my oobgolf scoring averages, and I am on average scoring 5+ on par 3s which indicates to me that my short game is pretty bad. I am currently gaming the wedges that came with my set (pw ~46, sw ~54 and lw ~60) and really don’t like the feel of them. I think the sole is far too big and I have some problems getting under the ball and not hitting it thin, which is incredibly frustrating (too much bounce). My fear or hitting it thin has me reducing the swing speed and either hitting it thin or far too short. Coming to demo day, hitting some wedges was a top priority as they will be my next purchase.

I was really hoping to get my hands on some Cleveland 588s on demo day, and I lucked out as there were a couple lefty 588s. I played with the 56* for a while and really liked the feel and look of it. However, as I obviously have an issue with the club height on impact, I was still hitting it either fat or thin quite frequently. The main thing I didn’t like about them was when they would take a huge divot when I hit them fat. They seemed to really just dig in.

I saw the SCOR bag off to the end and decided to take a look at the club design as I had been researching them and knew the lefty clubs were not scheduled to come out until July. I was very surprised to find a few lefty clubs in the bag! This is why the outing is so great, getting to test clubs that I would not have the opportunity to try otherwise. I grabbed the 54* and 57* wedges and compared them to the 588s and really felt they were more forgiving and easier to hit. I borrow them for the Saturday and Sunday games as well to test them out on the course. With a few tips from TrueFX, I was noticing a real improvement in my short game. A lot of it is probably the fact I dislike my current setup and really like the SCOR wedges, but I think a lot of it is that they just feel good to hit.

A couple people were talking about the aesthetics of the club and their preference for a black pearl or darker finishes on their wedges. I think this is just personal preference as these clubs are really sharp looking to me. I was originally thinking about getting a black finish on my wedges, but I think these will look quite nice in the bag. I love the red grip and am probably going to have the shafts coated red at Vibrant Golf to get the custom wedges look.

At this point, these are on my priority list to order as soon as they become available in left handed (next month). The only decision I have to make is whether to go for a two or three wedge setup. It’s great that SCOR has the online “SCORfit” on the website to help properly gap your wedges. The options I am considering are 50, 54 and 58 or 51 and 56 (with a 46 PW).

The only disappointment I had with SCOR was that I didn’t get a chance to meet Shawn to discuss my short game with him (my fault of course). From the discussions I had at the outing, he is a great guy and had some excellent advice.

I have been thinking a lot about my short game and I think it is probably the biggest area for improvement in my game. Far too often I hit a couple nice shots getting me close to the green on a par 5 in two strokes and ending up at an 8. I also reviewed my oobgolf scoring averages, and I am on average scoring 5+ on par 3s which indicates to me that my short game is pretty bad. I am currently gaming the wedges that came with my set (pw ~46, sw ~54 and lw ~60) and really don’t like the feel of them. I think the sole is far too big and I have some problems getting under the ball and not hitting it thin, which is incredibly frustrating (too much bounce). My fear or hitting it thin has me reducing the swing speed and either hitting it thin or far too short. Coming to demo day, hitting some wedges was a top priority as they will be my next purchase.

I was really hoping to get my hands on some Cleveland 588s on demo day, and I lucked out as there were a couple lefty 588s. I played with the 56* for a while and really liked the feel and look of it. However, as I obviously have an issue with the club height on impact, I was still hitting it either fat or thin quite frequently. The main thing I didn’t like about them was when they would take a huge divot when I hit them fat. They seemed to really just dig in.

I saw the SCOR bag off to the end and decided to take a look at the club design as I had been researching them and knew the lefty clubs were not scheduled to come out until July. I was very surprised to find a few lefty clubs in the bag! This is why the outing is so great, getting to test clubs that I would not have the opportunity to try otherwise. I grabbed the 54* and 57* wedges and compared them to the 588s and really felt they were more forgiving and easier to hit. I borrow them for the Saturday and Sunday games as well to test them out on the course. With a few tips from TrueFX, I was noticing a real improvement in my short game. A lot of it is probably the fact I dislike my current setup and really like the SCOR wedges, but I think a lot of it is that they just feel good to hit.

A couple people were talking about the aesthetics of the club and their preference for a black pearl or darker finishes on their wedges. I think this is just personal preference as these clubs are really sharp looking to me. I was originally thinking about getting a black finish on my wedges, but I think these will look quite nice in the bag. I love the red grip and am probably going to have the shafts coated red at Vibrant Golf to get the custom wedges look.

At this point, these are on my priority list to order as soon as they become available in left handed (next month). The only decision I have to make is whether to go for a two or three wedge setup. It’s great that SCOR has the online “SCORfit” on the website to help properly gap your wedges. The options I am considering are 50, 54 and 58 or 51 and 56 (with a 46 PW).

The only disappointment I had with SCOR was that I didn’t get a chance to meet Shawn to discuss my short game with him (my fault of course). From the discussions I had at the outing, he is a great guy and had some excellent advice.

Let'er rip here...happy to help you anyway I can. Not positive on specs for the GT2 irons you are playing now, but my guess is 41-45 on the 9i and PW. I like your thinking on the 51-56. Whether you go to 50-54-58 is really up to you...looks like you have room in the bag. Either way, I think you'll fall in love with the 50 / 51 gap wedge. Lob wedges are an acquired taste for sure...put your hands on a demo from another manufacturer somewhere locally and see if it is something you think you'd like and decide from there.

Let'er rip here...happy to help you anyway I can. Not positive on specs for the GT2 irons you are playing now, but my guess is 41-45 on the 9i and PW. I like your thinking on the 51-56. Whether you go to 50-54-58 is really up to you...looks like you have room in the bag. Either way, I think you'll fall in love with the 50 / 51 gap wedge. Lob wedges are an acquired taste for sure...put your hands on a demo from another manufacturer somewhere locally and see if it is something you think you'd like and decide from there.

Thanks for the reply Shawn!

I have room in the bag and I want a decent setup that will last me a few years, so I am favoring the three wedge setup. I would like to replace my irons soon as well, but I'm not in a big hurry and would like the wedges first so I can focus on my short game this summer. It seems that most iron sets have a 44-46 PW, so I would probably go for the 50-54-58 setup. In your opinion, if I ended up with an iron set with a 44* PW, would having a gap difference of 6* from the PW to the 50* and 4* to the 54* and 58* have a big impact? I wouldn't think so based on my skill level at this point, but was just wondering if it would be better to wait a couple months till I get some new irons and know the PW loft. I'm excited to try the 50*! I took the 54* and 57* on the Saturday and Sunday rounds, and defaulted to the 54* for almost all my short shots. I have to say, that was a great feeling club.

Can't say enough about this company...ALL my questions and concerns have been addressed and even driven down to the reason of the design. Thanks for all the feedback thus far Beau and Shawn. Even with the recent upgrade/change out of the bag, still looking at the money approach to the green! This..added to the reviews on the many SCOR threads...serious pondering going on. Thanks all

Are Eidolons any different than Scors? Or did they just change the name?

Really? Please explain. Wake has some Eidolons he's offering me and not i would like to know the differences

Are Eidolons any different than Scors? Or did they just change the name?

The V-Sole is the same, having owned both though, the wedges are much different from each other both in look/form but also philosophy as the SCOR's are a true system.

The V-Sole is the same, having owned both though, the wedges are much different from each other both in look/form but also philosophy as the SCOR's are a true system.

This. The V-Soles are the same design, but the rest of the wedge is different to me. The top line appears smaller, the weighting is much different as well.

This. The V-Soles are the same design, but the rest of the wedge is different to me. The top line appears smaller, the weighting is much different as well.

The progressive weighting is HUGE in difference to the Eidolon's to me. They are much more than just a blade wedge to me...even though the are. The Eidolon's were great to me, the SCOR's as a system though just do and encompass so much more. Every single loft from 41 to 61 without bending them to get there? No one else does that.

So without trying them is there any way to know which is one "better" (yes I realize that's a subjective term) So if you like heavier heads go with this over those...etc..?

Im not really sure there is an answer to that. Its like asking is the R11 better than the R9. To some, yes it will be. To others it will just be a newer model. For me, I greatly preferred the SCOR irons to that of the previous line.

Alright. As far as performance could you see any difference in like spin, other things? I realize this is going to be minimal as they have the same sole and all. Is one heavier than the other? Or is the weighting just differently placed? I feel like I'm kinda repeating myself... maybe I should just pass on the eidolons and wait till I can find some Scors.

I would suggest reading the scor forum review thread. Tons of info and the guys put a lot of work into them. You should find everything you are looking for.

Received one of the first orders of SCOR Wedges (left-handed) into Canada last Friday. I received 41 (9 iron), 45 (PW), 49 (GW) and 53 (GW2). I ordered them 3 degrees upright and +3/4” on KBS firm shaft.

Love them! Smaller top line that I’m used to but the spin them produce is amazing. I pulled a wedge shot back 15’ on a recent round. If anyone wants some feedback about them let me know. Extremely easy to hit. They are about 5 yards further than my Titleist wedges with the same loft/specs. I would suspect the KBS shaft is the reason for the extra length.

I've played 51, 56, and 61 wedges from SCOR for about the last 2 months. I would recommend these to anybody. I've hit some of my best approach shots with these. I get a much more boring ball flight which helps accuracy and distance control. I can put just as much spin on the ball with these as any other wedge. I've actually had a ball spin back about 35ft when I was playing for it to spin back about 10 feet. As i'm sure Sean from SCOR has made it evident on here, their customer service is awesome. I chatted online with a rep or possibly Sean, can't remember for sure, for a while on a couple of occasions and he took time to answer all my questions. When I received my wedges the shaft band said firm and I ordered firm plus. One call to SCOR and a rep helped me check to see exactly what shaft was installed and he even talked to the technician who built my clubs and called me back to confirm that my shafts were the right ones but the shaft band was just put on wrong. They sent me new shaft bands a couple days later. Anyway, that was probably a little too rambling for everybody but I really do recommend SCOR to anybody looking for new wedges.

You were tearing them up for sure.

My review however of these, will be a little different than the rest of what you've heard. I also hit these and came away disappointed. On full shots, they are great. I had no trouble flighting the ball high or low. The feel was awesome. On full shots, I'd give these a solid A-. Around the green however was a completely different story. Of about 40 shots, about 8 were good shots. The rest were heavy. Fringe chips, fringe pitches, 40yd pitches from fairway, 20yds and in from bermuda rough. I thought it was me, but then I'd grab another wedge and from the exact same spot, hit a solid shot. The only thing I can think of is the V sole was giving me fits. I've used a wedge before with a similar sole, the CG12 DSG. It too gave me fits. There's just something about that design that doesn't play nice with me.

If anything, this is a club you really need to try before you buy and really hit all the shots with it before your decision. They're beautiful to look at and really have a great feel and head weight to them. Unfortunately, this one just didn't work out for me :/

This is very interesting. I bought these wedges a few months ago because I loved the look at address and read many great reviews. I'm a 4 handicap with a solid short game, but have barely been playing practicing cuz I'm a busy student. Anyway, I hit A LOT of fat chips and pitches with these wedges and just assumed it was my lack of practice. Today I tried a bunch of other wedges and never had this problem. And I don't have the stock shaft, I have my C-Taper S+ 125 that I use in my irons.

I just dont don't get it. And the shots are like severely heavy duffs. Really want to like this wedge as the look is absolutely perfect but just don't know

Last edited:
Back