Jimmyboy

lookin' for results!
Reaction score
Handicap
Which do you prefer Mallet or Blade putter?

I recently changed from a Mallet to Blade and like the preformance and feel i get from my blade putter

i prefer blade putters. ive actually never even used a mallet before for an entire round, even though i do like they way they feel. i just prefer more traditional looking putters for some reason. before i got my SeeMore FGP, i played with 8802 style blades for years. this is the putter i use now:

3384728699_47cbb2189d.jpg

I go back and forth. I like blades better, but I keep switching. This blade putter is staying in the bag for a while.

I prefer a blade. Ive tried a few mallet putters and to me they have no feel. With a blade, when I miss a putt; I can feel the difference between a mishit and a solid hit; so I know why I missed the putt (be it a misread, a mishit or simply not hitting the ball hard enough or hitting it too hard) but with a mallet it always has the same feel.

i prefer blade putters. for some reason i feel like i have less tendency to push or pull with a blade. maybe it just suits my eye

I go back and forth too. I have an Odyssey black Series 1 in my bag now which I like a lot. In fact- I would say for ME, it's FAR superior to any of the four Scottys I bought and quickly sold.

BUT- I also have a TM Itsy Bitsy Spider and a Rife 2-bar Hybrid Mallet which find their way onto the course from time to time too. For fast screaming greens give me a blade. For slow, wet or recently aereated greens- I'll take a mallet. :confused2:

For fast screaming greens give me a blade. For slow, wet or recently aereated greens- I'll take a mallet. :confused2:
Ive always heard that for slow greens and for people who tend to leave their putts short, a mallet is better.
I cant putt worth a darn with a mallet though. Last year I bought a Scotty Cameron Red-X and as beautifull, well-balanced and well-crafted as it was; I couldnt sink putts with it and ended up selling it on Ebay.
I figure, if I cant putt with a Cameron mallet; mallets just arent for me.

I used to try to keep one of each around, depending on the way I felt and the course I was playing. Right now I have a SC Squareback which I guess is sort of hybrid of both?

I have never tried a mallet, and other than for curiosity's sake, don't really feel that motivated to. The Itsy Bitsy Spider really interests me, or a Marksman, though.

I play blade putters.

Not sure why, but I don't do well with mallet putters. I am still willing to try them every now and again though.

Another Hobson's choice for me. Golfsmith only had the mallet in stock in left-handed putters when I needed one fast. As it happens, I love it; it's the only club that has survived/will survived the bag rebuild.
hogan-hawk.jpg

I'm still lusting over a copper Scotty, though, in a superficial for-the-looks kind of way.

Blade for me. I have an Odyssey 2 Ball White Blade.

Another Hobson's choice for me. Golfsmith only had the mallet in stock in left-handed putters when I needed one fast. As it happens, I love it; it's the only club that has survived/will survived the bag rebuild.
hogan-hawk.jpg

I'm still lusting over a copper Scotty, though, in a superficial for-the-looks kind of way.

I'm still lusting over a Scotty Squareback, just for the looks...no other reason. No way in hell my putter is leaving my bag though. That's really the only club in my bag that is NOT going to leave any time soon.

I have 1 of each & switch them out to suit my mood as neither seems to really outperform the other no matter what the green conditions are. You don't suppose it's Indian & not the arrow do you??:confused2:

I was always a blade man, but I cant deny that this new SeeMore mallet is working for me.

Blade for me. I have an Odyssey 2 Ball White Blade.

isnt that more of a mallet with a blade style address rather than the rounded address

isnt that more of a mallet with a blade style address rather than the rounded address

Yeah with all the mass behind the ball I don't think you can get away with calling that a blade.

Maybe it's a blallet.

Spoiler
or a mallade.

I've used both over the years, but always have putted best with a mallet. I prefer the mallets look at address, and with blades I always leave putts short or very long. Rarely have that issue with my Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet.

another blade man here. tried a few mallets but for some reason they have never worked for me. probably all just in my head but hey if it works why mess with it?

Blade for sure, but I've got a handfull of mallets, and I do like to putt with them from time to time.

I finally got my Tracy cut down, and found the grip I've been wanting all along. My putter was pretty hot this weekend until I lost my head on Sunday and 3 putted 5 times on the back nine.

Blade but I'm considering changing to a mallet of some sort. Not getting enough 'oomph' from the older blade. I'm kinda interested in the Marxman Mini.

I have always used a blade putter.
Apart from messing around in a store with a mallet, I've never really given them a good try on the course. But I'm happy with what I have, so I don't see me giving mallets a whirl in the near future...

Back