2012 Ryder Cup - Medinah Country Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could have said the same two years ago with woods or even last year. It's not rigged it's a team event and if bubba ham-n-eggs it well with RF, he'll be on the team.
Considering the event is 2/3 team and 1/3 ind. I can see RF getting the nod. Do I agree, no but I can see it happening

Does playing a team game make Fowler more valuable? Bad golf is bad golf... and this year he has really struggled to get under par.

Does playing a team game make Fowler more valuable? Bad golf is bad golf... and this year he has really struggled to get under par.

He won early and has played descent golf, nothing ground breaking. Others have more consistent. But you can discount chemistry when it comes to an event like the RC.
He's playing well enough to have and egg it with Bubba, get some wins and build some confidence. That would be my line of thinking

farra fowler is actually not playing all that bad. 24th in the fedex cup, only missed 3 cuts this year and a win. The problem is that in his last 5 starts he's (most recent first) t24, cut, t60, t31, t41. He's also had some noticable bad rounds, 3 rounds in the 80's and a 79 this year that make it seem like he's been playing worse golf than is actually the case.

I don't think he should be on the team because I think there are a number of golfers who are playing much better golf; however if he is picked I think his resume this season coupled with his performance in the last ryder cup and his presumed performance with bubba can justifiy the selection well enough.

My official picks are: Steve S., Jim F., Rickie F., and Hunter Mahan. Let's make it official, who do you think?

Edit: DJ for Mahan

Last edited:
I'd probably go with Stricker, Furyk, Snedeker and DJ.

I would go Stricker, Snedeker, DJ, & BVP.

Did I miss something? Why are you removing Mahan from your list Freddie?

Probably because DJ is playing pretty well and Mahan...not so much. I think after today's round that DJ and Sneds are almost locks for the RC team.

Because he is playing really well and I think that will factor into DL3 picks

Stricker, Snedeker, DJ, and Mahan.

After watching Rory kill another tournament, I think he's going to be the worst draw for any American. I'd love to see him and Tiger go out in a singles match!!!

After watching Rory kill another tournament, I think he's going to be the worst draw for any American. I'd love to see him and Tiger go out in a singles match!!!

See I dunno. I think Rory still has a lot to learn in matchplay. He takes a lot of risks off the tee, sometimes not ideal in foursomes.

The guys you want to avoid drawing are the likes of Lawrie, Donald and Poulter. Steady players with very solid short games who can grind you down. If you get Rory on a hot day, he'll destroy you no doubt, but outside the singles, he's still learning.

See I dunno. I think Rory still has a lot to learn in matchplay. He takes a lot of risks off the tee, sometimes not ideal in foursomes.

The guys you want to avoid drawing are the likes of Lawrie, Donald and Poulter. Steady players with very solid short games who can grind you down. If you get Rory on a hot day, he'll destroy you no doubt, but outside the singles, he's still learning.

Seriously, can you see Rory have a partner other than G-Mac in any of the team matches? Putting Rory with a guy like Donald or Westwood would be a sight to see, but I just can't see Olazabal breaking up the Northern Ireland guys. In a way, it's like how Seve and Olazabal were back in the day, they know each other so well and their games complement each other well.

I'm liking Team Europe's chances. 11 returning guys, all whom have been on winning teams? No American with a winning record? I like the odds.

Seriously, can you see Rory have a partner other than G-Mac in any of the team matches? Putting Rory with a guy like Donald or Westwood would be a sight to see, but I just can't see Olazabal breaking up the Northern Ireland guys. In a way, it's like how Seve and Olazabal were back in the day, they know each other so well and their games complement each other well.

I don't know how Olly sees it, but I think it's a strong possibility that these 2 go out together in all matches, yeah. You're right about their games complementing each other, GMac is a classic grinder and can get them out of trouble if needed, and Rory can have them flying. I don't really see a partnership for Rory that would make more sense.

I can see so many good groupings in the Euro team actually. I like the look of Poulter/Colsaerts, Lawrie/Molinari as the surprise package, Sergio/Kaymer for a laugh.

I'm liking Team Europe's chances. 11 returning guys, all whom have been on winning teams? No American with a winning record? I like the odds.

I agree. The team looks strong, and it's packed with guys who won't be fazed with the away fixture.

I completely agree. No way that Oli will break up that team. I also believe that he will have a hard time finding the right partner for Westwood this year. I honestly don't remember who has paired well with Westwood in the past.

the u.s. team looks solid, however when you go inside the numbers there is great cause for concern.

1. four players making their ryder cup debut (keegan, duf-nah, sneds and webb)

2. records of the 3 most veteran ryder cuppers:
tiger 12-14-2
phil 11-17-6
furyk 8-15-4
ouch

3. In fact, there is not a single player on the us squad with a winning ryder cup record. The best they can do are stricker and zj who each sport a blistering 3-3-1 record.

Bad records happen when you only win 1 cup out of the last 5 events, and 2 out of the last 8.

I'm not a big stat supporter, but I looked these up and was interested by a couple of them, especially how good Sergios record is, but to me it looks like Donald is our most successful member (ratio of win/draw to losses) We only have 2 players that have lost more than they've won/halved... Hanson and Molinari.... Stats are all well and good though, but it depends on who's in form - I'm not sure if Donald, Rose, Molinari, Hanson and Kaymer will get us a lot of points.

(W-L-H)

Rory McIlroy 1-1-2
Justin Rose 3-1-0
Paul Lawrie 3-1-1
Graeme McDowell 4-2-2
Francesco Molinari 0-2-1
Luke Donald 8-2-1
Lee Westwood 16-11-6
Sergio Garcia 14-6-4
Peter Hanson 1-2-0
Martin Kaymer 2-1-1
Ian Poulter 8-3-0
Nicolas Colsearts -

Hanson will bring in more points than Donald. Book it.

Hanson will bring in more points than Donald. Book it.

Noted and not entirely disagreeing. :D

Looks at Poulter's record standing there, demanding respect.

Nevermind. Wrong Thread.

Last edited:
The 1999 Ryder Cup is on Golf Channel right now. This was hands down the greatest sporting event I've ever seen in my lifetime. Well Sunday Singles for sure. I still vividly remember sitting there watching this all alone and screaming and jumping up and down and just going crazy. Great to watch again too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't know wth crenshaw was thinking with those shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back