Favorite non-clingy shirt?

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It seems like every time I walk in a golf store, there's rows and rows of "wicking" golf shirts available. You know, the kind that looks great on you if you do P90X 4 hours a day and have a six pack that would make Mr. Olympia jealous. But, being a guy who could stand to lose a little weight (Ok, more than a little), I need something not quite so clingy, lest I chase all the ladies from the course.

My de-facto standard is Polo shirts. Not the clingy somewhat loose weave, but rather the standard cotton weave.

Anyone found any other brands that tend to be more roomy than clingy?

There are tons of technical material golf shirts that are not athletic cut.

There is just no way I can go back to cotton after testing out so many other types of material out there that leave me cooler feeling and do not hold moisture.

Can't you buy moisture wicking shirts in the next size up? Not sure how much weight you alluded to, but (usually) there's another size up.

Can't you buy moisture wicking shirts in the next size up? Not sure how much weight you alluded to, but (usually) there's another size up.

I don't know if that would help as much as buying the different "style" (as JB was alluding to with the athletic cut.) If you are looking for shirts and can't afford to spend 30-40 bucks a pop on the "wick" polos. TJ Max has a ton of assorted ones and they are at an awesome price. I usually get most of mine there and I don't pay more then $12 to $17. I actually really enjoy "Chaps" golf shirts. They aren't the atheltic cut either!

I'm a fan of Sligo especially the THP logo'd Sligo

There are tons of technical material golf shirts that are not athletic cut.

There is just no way I can go back to cotton after testing out so many other types of material out there that leave me cooler feeling and do not hold moisture.

Totally agree! I have 0 cotton polos, and probably never will again. I actually think a lot of the Nike shirts fit well and are less clingy? I think a lot of the clingy feeling shirts have a percentage of spandex in them - but I could be wrong.

Like others have said I would go with TJ Maxx and try some of theirs. They are cheaper and have many different brands you can try on

I think I get what you are saying. Some of the fabric likes to connect to big bellies, even with a roomier cut. I know that feeling. The cheaper Nike DriFit is a little thicker fabric and not the kind that clings so bad. Look around though, because some of their stuff won't be what you are looking for.

TJ Max, Marshall's, and Kohl's are all great. As another posted mentioned, the Chaps golf shirts are pretty good for the price you can find them and are not athletic cut. Kohl's also carries the "Grand Slam" brand, which I don't know much about, but I've worn a few of those shirts and they worked out well for me.

Have you tried Travis Matthew? I don't know about cut, but they certainly have a bit thicker material than you'd see out of Nike or UA.

I personally like the Adida's climate cool line. They are fair priced and don't cling at all. Also, they are not the athletic tapered fit, so the fit should be confortable for you.
The short sleeve shirts are now beginning to really be marked down. Shop around.

I have a ton of shirts and my favorite is my Nike one. I just hate wearing cotton shirts to golf.

I'm a fan of Sligo especially the THP logo'd Sligo

As much as I love that shirt's design, it's one of the worst fitting shirts I have. The Antigua shirts are much more awesome imo.

I know that Adidas does offer loose fits.

Anitgua is a good one. I have a couple of those that are in the starting rotation as well.

As much as I love that shirt's design, it's one of the worst fitting shirts I have. The Antigua shirts are much more awesome imo.

I know that Adidas does offer loose fits.

There is suppose to be a drape to the shirt. I think you AB belt might be hinder that process :D

There is suppose to be a drape to the shirt. I think you AB belt might be hinder that process :D

Hey! That's bought and paid for. It's fueled by brats and beer.

I'm partial to the Columbia PFG polo's - seems to be standard equipment for most of my golfing buds in this area.

Back