Right handed putter and left eye dominant

JRWIS

Reaction score
Handicap
Is there any other odd balls out there that are left eye dominant and right handed? What putter would you recommend? I've read that center shaft, no offsets work best.

I need all the help I can get with my putting game right now. I'm currently gaming a Ping Zing Karsten series, but I find that I'm consistently inconsistent left or right:beat-up:. I'm all ears of recommendations -- I've lost all confidence in my putting. Help a Hacker out!

I don't have an answer for your question, but how do you know which eye is dominant?

Hold a circle up with your hand and focus on something small and far away. Close each eye separately. If you close your left eye and you still see what you are focused on, youre right eye dominant.
I don't have an answer for your question, but how do you know which eye is dominant?

I'm a right-hander and I'm blind in my right eye. So, I'm definitely left eye dominant. I was NOT a good putter for a long time. Then, I had a putter fitting. They cut down my Ping Anser so that my eye was over the ball. It made all the difference in the world. I also have my ball just inside my left foot and most of my weight on my left foot. I'm a much better putter now. I line up my putt without guessing like I used to do. Having my eye over the ball made a big difference.

I just switched to a 2 ball putter. I'm going to get it shortened also.

I am right handed and also almost totally blind in my right eye.This causes me to have all sorts of swing alignment problems such as ball position because my perception is one thing and reality is sometimes different.It also gives me a big depth perception issue.I have the same issues putting, but since I cut my putter, Odyssey Sabertooth, down an inch from 35" to 34" and installed a Winn Jumbo Lite grip,my putting has greatly improved.I can get my eye more over the ball without choking down on the shaft.This set up has also helped me not pull guite as many putts.
Guys with good eyesight have not idea what us "one eyed" golfers have to deal with.

I am right handed and am left eye dominant. I am putting better due to the fact that I concentrate on the spot I have to hit about 8 inches from the ball. Then all I have to worry about is speed. The ball stays in the peripheral vision as I swing back and through. I had to use an alignment aid to make sure I was picking out the right spot in front of the ball.

Me me me.

I used Anser shaped for years. Having made my stroke more consistent, I like less offset. I use the SeeMore FGP. I love it. I would just look for any with little offset.

Same as you. Right handed and left eye dominant.

I've spent a lot of money and time over the last year on putters including getting fit.

What I found for me is I can't aim at the hole unless the putter has a plumbers neck with full shaft offset. Doesn't matter what kind oddly enough.

Gamer is an OLD Ping B60 cut from 35 to 33.5 and Lead Taped to death at an E3 swingweight.
Lie angle bent to 68

BTW I was fitted for a strong arc putter and putt the best with a mid arc putter. 4:30 toe hang.

When you go flatter with the lie which was my most important thing you have to ARC it more. The mid toe hang fit right into my stroke after that.

Hope this helps you
Kerry

I am as well. Can't say I notice it putting, but I haven't thought about it before.

Pretty devastating with a shotgun though.

This is an interesting topic and something I have not thought of until today. I did Thains test and it appears I am also a right handed putter who is left eye dominant.

Yes, I am in the same boat. Found out when I took up archery for a while.

No idea what kind of putter works best for us. Coach said right eye dominant righties should have ball forward in putting stance, but oddballs like us can have it middle or back. If I eyeball a line standing on top of a putt, the line will be wtong, slightly to the right.

Same situation for me. Right-handed but left-eye dominant. I have always used an offset plumber's neck putter. When I line up putts I find the ball to be forward in my stance, but it isn't done purposely. Incidently, I am a firearms instructor and I can always spot a cross dominant shooter when instructing pistol shooting. Cross dominant pistol shooters always move the pistol in front of the dominant eye and it is very apparent when behind the shooter.

One more fact to consider... trained, combat pistol (usually shotgun and assault rifles too) shooters fire with both eyes open, just like when you putt or swing. Your dominant eye will "take over" this way and it becomes second nature. Your mileage might vary. KCM

Same situation for me. Right-handed but left-eye dominant. I have always used an offset plumber's neck putter. When I line up putts I find the ball to be forward in my stance, but it isn't done purposely. Incidently, I am a firearms instructor and I can always spot a cross dominant shooter when instructing pistol shooting. Cross dominant pistol shooters always move the pistol in front of the dominant eye and it is very apparent when behind the shooter.

Im a lefty and have the same problem but opposite (right eye dominant) I use the same type of putter and putt the same way as you. When shooting I hold my pistol lefty and use my right eye to aim, with a rifle I hold it right handed... It's kind of odd but it works for me.

Keegan Bradley is like this. Ever notice his funny look when he is trying to read a putt? He uses a Sabertooth belly but I am not sure how he actually goes about lining it up.

Is there any other odd balls out there that are left eye dominant and right handed? What putter would you recommend? I've read that center shaft, no offsets work best.

I need all the help I can get with my putting game right now. I'm currently gaming a Ping Zing Karsten series, but I find that I'm consistently inconsistent left or right:beat-up:. I'm all ears of recommendations -- I've lost all confidence in my putting. Help a Hacker out!

I'm in the same boat and I've had a lot of luck so far with my Seemore FGP and FGP Mallet that are both center shafted. I always had to double check my lines, but the extra white lines on the Maellet and the CS in general have done wonders for me.

I'm a righty and very strong left eye dominant,this frusrtated me to no end for a long,long time.I putted decent but,nomatter what I did or how much I practiced I just never could become consistent.About a month ago I was just goofing around on the putting green waiting on the rest of my buddies.For some unknown reason I started putting with my right eye closed all the way thru contact,one-eyed like a pirate.I was knocking down 10 and 15 footers like never before but,I thought no-way this would really work on the course.I tried it that day and have not looked back since.It makes me focus on contact 10 times better than before and my putting is much better and much more consistent,especially from 10 ft out.I dont know how to explain it,if it will continue to work for me or if it is anything that would work for others.I dont even know if its a good thing to try,i'm sure most will frown upon it.All I know is its working for me at the moment so,I will keep doing it till it doesnt.For what its worth,I have always gravatated toward centershafted putters myself and thats what i'm gaming now.

I'm a right-hander and I'm blind in my right eye. So, I'm definitely left eye dominant.

Hey - another couple of one eyed guys!! I'm right handed (golfing) and I only have my left eye working. Canio is dead on. Lining up with your eye over the ball is critical. There is and easy way to check if you want to, hold a ball in your mouth, line up like you are ready to putt and drop the ball. It will be inside where your ball should be but not by much.

It sounds to me like something in your stance is inconsistent though. If you play with buddies get one of them to take a few pics of you over the ball with your phone during a round, who knows what you will spot. (I would look for toe up, toe down etc at address)

Otherwise I would suggest:
A. get a putter you like that fits your stroke style, your eye, and your feel. (the Putter Perfection book in the store may help)
B. Get fitted.

If you read, Unconscious Putting by Dave Stockton is a great read. The guy coaches Rory and I think he has a lot of good stuff to say.

Back