Jumbo putter grips

Where did you hear that?

I play a SS Ultra Slim on mine (two of my SeeMore's now actually) and my SPi instructor actually plays SS's on his mFGP and his SeeMore belly putter too.

honestly can't remember but it was something do with how a SeeMore stroke isn't necessarily SBST, and when using a SS it promotes a SBST stroke b/c of how it 'locks' your hands...i honestly didn't see the correlation i just thought i'd ask is all. Personally, i was looking for opinions in feel more than why SeeMore and a SS wouldn't be good together...I just dont' want to lose the feel this putter has off the face by adding a ginormous grip.

honestly can't remember but it was something do with how a SeeMore stroke isn't necessarily SBST, and when using a SS it promotes a SBST stroke b/c of how it 'locks' your hands...i honestly didn't see the correlation i just thought i'd ask is all. Personally, i was looking for opinions in feel more than why SeeMore and a SS wouldn't be good together...I just dont' want to lose the feel this putter has off the face by adding a ginormous grip.

I hear ya. Brady (my SPi instructor) uses not the FULL size but the one size down from that and told me jumbo grips are fine with a SeeMore. All I know is a looooooove the Ultra Slim.

I also use the Winn Jumbo and love it. Highly recommend it.

Superstroke Slim 55. I have one on my Scotty. absolutely love it.

Winn Jumbo arrived this morning, and is now on the Rife Mid Mallet. Interestingly, there was no wrap on the Rife, just a spiral of glue directly on the shaft. It still softened with the solvent though, and the new grip went on very easily, and with the wider flattened front, made alignment a breeze. An it fits in my putter well! (That was a bit of a worry)

Will take it up to the club for a spin at lunchtime I think...

Cheers all for the input.

What do you make of the feel of the putter after the grip change, Andrew? Does it feel generally lighter through the stroke now?

What do you make of the feel of the putter after the grip change, Andrew? Does it feel generally lighter through the stroke now?

Hmm, well, its different!

Right - there are a few points here, but when I took it out of the packet, pre-installation, I wrapped my hands around it and thought "wow" this feels amazing, its so much more comfortable to hold gently.

The grip though, is basically a stiff foam material, not rubber, I assume because it would weigh half a pound if it were made of rubber!! Once installed, you still get that comfortable feel with the larger grip, but I'm not enamoured with the texture on the fingers - I wish it were a rubberised coating. I'm finding it hard to explain the comparison, but its kind of like a stress ball material - that sort of feel, only much firmer obviously.

Anyway - it was a difficult test as they'd just strewn fretiliser all over the practice green at my club, and stopped me after 15 minutes because they wanted to turn on the sprinklers! But I had mixed results, but I think a lot of that was because I didn't clear the putter face, or balls, of the crud being picked up after rolling the putts, so 50% of the time I was hitting with bits of fertiliser in the way of the contact area!

I think I'll just use it on the weekend on the proper greens, and see how it goes. If it doesn't do the job, then I've only lost a few quid. My scores are so bad at the moment, that I'll not notice that much if I 3 putt all over the place, but I will notice if I 1 putt a few times!!

Cheers Andrew. Sounds like this might be an adjustment for you, but it's early days. I guess you'll have to get it rolling on a decent surface to get a good feeling for the stroke. Must be tough to try to put your usual stroke on it while you're still adjusting to the feeling of the new grip.

What's your reason for going to the jumbo? Do you get 'wristy' with the putter sometimes?

Cheers Andrew. Sounds like this might be an adjustment for you, but it's early days. I guess you'll have to get it rolling on a decent surface to get a good feeling for the stroke. Must be tough to try to put your usual stroke on it while you're still adjusting to the feeling of the new grip.

What's your reason for going to the jumbo? Do you get 'wristy' with the putter sometimes?

I think so, thats part of the reason for trying anyway. I feel I'm stroking it well, but still push or pull a few during a round - where the ball doesn't follow where I think I'm hitting it. Of course, it could, and probably is, just a bad stroke, but I'm just trying things out really - the eternal quest for the perfect game...

Maybe a combination of the new grip and some alignment drills will pay off for you then. We're all on that quest too!

I'll just say that I love my SuperStroke Slim on my Del Mar. I've been playing a jumbo grip on a putter for a few years now and it does change the feel of the putter a little for if you stay with it you become sensitive to how it feels. Also you'll have the added benefit of it keeping your wrists out of the stoke.

Played the new grip yesterday, and I think it was an improvement. I could definitely feel that the ball was leaving on the intended line, so misses were more mis-reads than bad strokes. I holed at least 5 4-10 footers, which used to elude me.

I'll stick with it for now, and decide whether to put one on my Cleveland...

Are you Tapatalking to me?

Back