What is your biggest drop in score?

smokedhog

Reaction score
Handicap
I just started playing in June with only 5 rounds so far. My game of late has been pretty rough a previous PB of 110 and a high of 124. It would always be a couple of beautiful shots mixed in with several that left me scratching my head and the rest just kind of average. The last couple times at the range I've started to hit the ball more consistently with a shot trajectory that I can live with.

Friday I went out and shot by far the best round so far scoring a 46/46 92 on a tougher course than I'm used to, that's a drop of 18 strokes from my previous best. I still have major issues with my short game turning 2 birdie putts of less than 10 feet in to bogeys and missing multiple other 5 footers. So my question is what is the biggest drop you guys have ever had?

i think for people with a higher handicap its not uncommon to see a round or two fluctuate eithe really high or really low (given their handicap)...my biggest drop/change in two rounds was this spring. i shot an 85 in the morning and a 73 in the afternoon. same course. same weather.

I've been playing so long, I don't remember. I am sure I had some huge drops when I was just starting out.

Recently though, when I broke 90 for the first time four years ago, I shot 85. So that's five shots from my previous best of 90. The this year, I shot a 79 to break 80 for the first time, when my PB at the time was 82. So that's three shots.

For years my personal best at a good course was 74. I had probably done it 10 times but could never get over the hump. Earlier this summer I put it all together and shot a 69 on a par 72 course. First time par or better. First time breaking 70. GHIN even gave me some crap. When i posted the score it gave me the "this round is lower than average" like i made a mistake.

Round to round, I'm not really sure. I've been pretty up and down this year after taking a couple of years off. My first round was a 100, and my last was an 85. But for me, I think it's just getting back to where I was before I had taken a hiatus, which was shooting anywhere from the low 80s (good day) to low 90s (pretty bad day).

To the OP, that's great, though. I hope you find your low round as something to build on and continue to keep the scores down.

I dropped 17 strokes from the front nine to back nine earlier this season.

Had a "nice" 84-70 last year.

years ago when I never had yet to brake the 100 barrior. I once shot a 40 on the front :banana:and a 63 on the back:angry:. Thats 23 strokes in the same round. I would think that was not posible if someone ever told me that. Needless to say, I was the happiest person for a couple hours and the most miserable for the next couple. lol

Doesnt happen like that anymore but i can still have a ten stroke difference bteween front and back or go from a 100 to a 90 one round to the next.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought the OP was wondering more about drops in personal bests, not just round to round or nine to nine.

I started golfing in June as well and have only played 3 full rounds, going down each time from 120-110-100. I have played a bunch of 9s all between like 52 and 58. I should have shot right around a 92 the last time but I totally blew up two holes.

I remember back when I started and broke the 100 barrier down to the mid 90's, and then to the mid 80's. Now I am looking for just one or two to break to the 70's. If it were not for all the hats I wear during the year I feel that I would have a mid 70 under my belt, but such is not the case..

I don't recall how my PB has dropped in the past, although I seem to recall it was incremental for the most part. Biggest drop I remember was 5 shots, 77 to 72...and I've never come near that in another 6 years or so.
But yeah, if you've got some good shots in you and are working off a high PB, I can see some dramatic drops, particularly since you seem to be working at it. Just look at the net scores among the high handicaps in any tournament, you'll see some wild scores just from variance.

My biggest drop was when I normally scored 50 on 9 holes, and then I started scoring more like 43-45, then one day I scored a 38, it was pretty cool

Mine was earlier this year... played a course and shot 91, but I was all over the course... i knew i could do better, so i went out to same course 3 days later and shot a 78.... 13 stroke difference... sweet revenge!!!

Just this week I've had some huge fluctuations and I'm scared of what my handicap is going to do. I typically shoot an 87-88 on my home course but this last week I've shot a 100 and two 108's. I have no clue what has happened. My driver and 3W are still ok, my hybrid 3 has completely checked out, my long irons are not long, they're more like midrange shovels, and my putter suddenly has taken on the characteristics of a 1 iron and last but not least, my gap wedge has become an intercontinental ballistic land missle launcher.

Since there is no problem in golf that can't be solve with a checkbook, I bought some different irons and have been hitting limited flight balls in the backyard for an hour a night trying to make something happen so I can maybe find the green again and putting a lot.

Back