Bandon Dunes Resort Review and Composite Routing

Dr. Teeth

Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.8!
As many of you know I recently played all 4 Bandon Courses in one day. I wanted to do a review of the Bandon courses, but I decided to do it a little differently. Instead of reviewing each course individually I am reviewing them as a collective (which is how you end up remembering them when you play them all in one day). I am doing this by picking my favorite hole of a specific number (ie my favorite first hole on each course, my favorite 2nd hole, etc), so what I will essentially have is an All Star Bandon routing. This was very hard because many of the holes are so great at Bandon and so many of the really great holes are of the same number (ie they all have great hole #4s). I am including pictures, the majority of which I took myself, but I did borrow some from the Bandon website as well as from the Renaissance Design Group (they designed and brought to life Pacific Dunes and Old MacDonald). Credit will be given to the pictures that have been borrowed.

#1 Old Mac, Par 4. I think this is a great opening hole that is just long enough to make you hit a good drive or 3 wood, but it is short enough to allow for a recovery if a good tee shot is not made or to give a short pitch into a great green if a good shot is hit. The fairway is very large, but the green will give you a great taste of what is to come at Old Mac.

The 1st green at Old Mac protected by bunkers
image579_lg.jpg

http://dev.brightbridge.net/RGD/userfiles/image579_lg.jpg?rand=649356209 (Renaissance Design Group)

#2 Bandon Trails, Par 3. Standing on the elevated tee box, you are staring down at a green that has trees on one side and a long bunker guarding the other. The green is fairly thin, but what it lacks in width it makes up in length. If you happen to end up on the front of the green (not a hard task as it seems to require more club than you think to get there) and the pin is in the back, good luck. A par is always a good score on this hole and it sets the tone of what is to come at Bandon Trails.

View from the tees of the Par 3 2nd at Bandon Trails
2.jpg

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/filebin/images/course/bandontrails/photos/2.jpg (Bandon Dunes Website)

#3 Old Mac, Par 4. I am so torn on which course has the better 3rd hole. Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails all have really great par 5s that are all the standout 5s on those courses. However, Old Mac has one of the best blind tee shots I have ever seen. That being said, the thing that makes this hole stand out is what you see once you climb the huge dune that you just hit over. Before you is the entire course, along with part of Pacific Dunes, backdropped by the Pacific Ocean. It is a site that few who have seen it will soon forget.

The large dune at Old Mac #3. Aim right over the man and draw it.
7990012361_863f179b26_z.jpg

The view as you come over the large dune on Old Mac #3
7990018906_cfbb987479_z.jpg

#4 Pacific Dunes, Par 4. While I really love the 4th hole at Bandon Dunes and the LONG par 4 at Old Mac, they only receive an honorable mention when compared to the 4th at Pacific Dunes, which in my opinion is easily one of the best par 4s I have ever played. It has everything, a challenging tee shot that is a true gut check. You have to place your drive in between a bunker on the left and a drop off cliff on the right. Then you are required to hit a great shot into a green that is protected and full of undulations. A par feels like a birdie on this hole.

Tee shot at Pacific Dunes #4
7990014290_598b0af4d9_z.jpg

View of the green on Pac Dunes #4
7990005351_0d7ffc3555_z.jpg

Green on Bandon Dunes #4
7990066458_0444516bfb_z.jpg

#5 Bandon Dunes, Par 4. Man this is hard! The other three courses all have par 3s as their 5th hole and I think that the 5th holes on Old Mac and Bandon Trails are two of the best par 3s that I have ever played. Of course, I am slightly biased because the 5th hole at Old MacDonald was the site of my first hole in one. But despite my bias and despite it being the shortest hole at Old MacDonald, it has one of the toughest, most undulating greens on the entire property and the 5th hole at Bandon has an incredible Biarritz green that is just too much fun to play. However, the nod goes to the 5th hole at Bandon Dunes. It is the second in a fantastic three hole stretch at Bandon Dunes. It runs along the ocean, but the ocean never really comes into play. It is strategically placed mounds and a green site that constricts before it opens again where the green is located. Make sure to look back, because this is one of the best views on the property.

Looking back on Bandon Dunes #5
7990014131_3e9c8bd64c.jpg

The Par 3 5th at Old Mac (the site of my first hole-in-one)
7990057731_2934b3d3ee_z.jpg

Gives you a good idea of the contours of the greens
7990065398_a9f18366cb_z.jpg

Bandon Trails’ par 3 5th

#6 Pacific Dunes, Par 4. WOW! I think the architects were playing a game to see who could out do each others holes. The par 3 6th at Bandon Dunes is a stunning hole and the par 5 6th at Old MacDonald has one of the meanest looking bunkers (aptly named Hell Bunker) you are likely to ever see, but the #6 at Pacific Dunes is one of the greatest strategic holes I have ever had the privilege to play. It is short at 316 yards, but you are just as likely to double bogey this hole as you are to birdie it. The trick is to bite off just as much as you can chew and to make sure you stay far away from the left side. It requires a precisely hit tee shot and an even more precisely hit second. Anything left will end up in a bunker as deep as most houses are tall and anything right will end up in a collection area forcing your next shot to me made uphill and more than one person has been seen praying that they don’t blade the shot, because anything hit with too much pace will fall straight into said bunker.

The strategic Par 4 6th at Pacific Dunes
6.jpg

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/filebin/images/course/pacificdunes/photos/6.jpg

Hell Bunker on Old Mac #6
7990064174_5aed2bf463_z.jpg

#7 Pacific Dunes, Par 4. Here again I am a bit torn and think this one is essentially a tie. I love the 7th hole at Old MacDonald with its straight uphill second shot. Although, I think the 7th at Old Mac is more memorable and has a phenomenal view from the green, I think that the 7th at Pacific is one of the best par 4s on any of the courses. It requires a precise drive, preferably as far left as you dare. The next shot is a long one into a green guarded with natural bunkers on the left and on the right are hummocks and a candy cane shaped bunker awaiting shots hit a little short. It is one of the toughest holes on the course, but it is a blast to play.

Approach shot on #7 at Pacific Dunes
7990005019_29e0cb380c_z.jpg

The green on #7 at Old Mac
7990017526_7136b43a8b_z.jpg

The view from on top of the green at Old Mac #7
7990018176_4341a2a492_z.jpg

Looking from the 9th fairway to the green on #7 at Old Mac
7990055131_6455941cd3_z.jpg

#8 Old MacDonald, Par 3. There is some stiff competition from the 8th hole on Bandon Trails, which is a drivable (if you dare) par 4. It is another among many really great short par 4s on the property. My prefered play is to layup with a wedge shot into the highly contoured green. This being said the nod for me goes to the long par 3 on Old Mac. After you are done climbing the giant hill on the 7th hole, stop off at the snack shack and then get ready to tee up. This shot is straight downhill and into a Biarritz green that in my opinion is one of the most fun greens on the property. This hole is completely different depending on where the flag is located. If it is in the bag, the play is to hit the ball into the valley of the Biarritz and watch as the ball will release uphill and toward the flag. If the pin is up from the play is to land it just short of the green and pray that it does go down into the valley. Either way, it will like your ball is in the air forever, but it isn’t until it hits the green that the fun starts.

A great view of the Biarritz green on the 8th at Old Mac

image251_lg.jpg

http://www.renaissancegolf.com/userfiles/image251_lg.jpg (Renaissance Design Group)

#9 Pacific Dunes, Par 4. This is a tough one, not because all of the courses have great 9th holes (it is clearly between Pacific Dunes and Old Mac), but because there are actually two 9th holes on Pacific Dunes and one of them is by far superior to the other. The 9th hole at Pacific has an alternate green. There is the upper green and the lower green. The lower green is fantastic and makes for an incredible hole. The upper is good, but not in the same league as the lower green. So here is how I would rank them. PD Lower> Old Mac 9th > PD Upper.

Tee shot at Pacific Dunes #9
7990012566_9b8dd9c538_z.jpg

The weaker green site (Upper) on Pacific Dunes #9
7990011354_5e29f0581c_z.jpg

Last edited:
#10 Pacific Dunes, Par 3. The tenth hole goes handily to Pacific Dunes. This is a beautiful mid length par 3 that plays straight out towards the ocean. There are large mounds on the left waiting to grab any shots played that direction. There is also a little mound sitting at the front left of the green waiting to steer balls left or right. This is a great par 3 and one that you will definitely remember.

View from the tee on Pacific Dunes #10
7990003033_b4bb269ff2_z.jpg

#11 Pacific Dunes, Par 3. Pacific Dunes features back to back par 3s and they are both winners. The 11th hole is short but stout. It plays uphill with the ocean directly to the golfers left. Any pulled shots are either in the bunker to the left of the green or worse, in the REALLY big bunker that is at the bottom of the cliffs. The real focus is to just hit the green. Depending on how the wind is blowing that day, a par is a great score.

Pacific Dunes #11 in retrospect
7990002477_dbf03a4d6c_z.jpg

7990009824_cd85039e6a_z.jpg

#12 Bandon Dunes, Par 3. Three of the courses (Old Mac, Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails) have par 3s for their 12th holes. Two of these holes (Old Mac and Bandon Trails) are so long that I have witnessed people hitting driver into them on days that weren’t particularly that windy. That is just brutal. The 12th at Bandon Dunes is a really great long par 3 (not driver long though) that plays towards the ocean. It competes with #6 as being the best par 3 on the course, but I think this hole takes it. It has a beautiful bunker that guards the front left of the green and gorse and ocean long. It is a classic run it up shot that won’t penalize you if you hit short right, but will reward you for being bold and running the ball up just right of the sod faced bunker. This was the first hole built on the Bandon Dunes Resort and it is a great one.

Sunset on Bandon Dunes #12
7990013665_6d1617a974_z.jpg

Bandon Dunes #12 green

7990013259_3a56651bbb_z.jpg

#13 Pacific Dunes, Par 4. Despite the fact that I really like the par 5 13th at Bandon Dunes, and love the Par 4s at Old Mac and Bandon Trails, the long uphill par 4 13th at Pacific Dunes is simple incredible. This is one of those holes that if you are able to walk away with a birdie you feel like you just won the lottery. This hole plays with the ocean directly to your left and plenty of room to the right. Uphill and often into the wind, this hole is all about the second shot into a raised, guarded, long and thin green. I have a hard time thinking of a more difficult, yet rewarding hole on the property. Take a moment to take in the view once you have completed this hole, it is one you will remember for a very long time.

View from the left fairway on Pacific Dunes #13
7990001615_737267de92_z.jpg

View from the tee on Old Mac #13

7990053963_5cefea07eb_z.jpg

Looking back from the #13th green on Old Mac
7990008712_1ecc920ac3_z.jpg

#14 Bandon Trails, Par 4. This is probably my most controversial pick. I know a lot of people who despise this hole, however, I am of the mind that any hole that creates conversation is by definition a great hole. This hole is short, only 325, and plays directly downhill. Don’t let that fool you though, it is one of the toughest holes you are likely to see. I have gotten everything from a birdie to a triple on this hole. I have driven the green and I have laid up with a 4 iron and I still couldn’t tell you what the best way to play this hole is. All I know is that you DO NOT want to go right. It is actually very hard to describe this hole. There is plenty of room to land your ball, but most of it is where you don’t want to be (ie Right). The green is thin (especially in the front) and small. If your ball is right off the tee, it is going to be very difficult to hold this green with your second shot and you are likely to find yourself in a deep bunker (protects the right side of the green) or in a collection area for those shots hit long or left. If the pin is located in the front, good luck! I think that is the toughest pin location on any hole on the property.

A view from the tee on Bandon Trails #14
14.jpg

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/filebin/images/course/bandontrails/photos/14.jpg Bandon Dunes Website

#15 Old Mac, Par 5. This is again a very tough one! Both Old Mac and Pacific have very good par 5 for their 15th holes and Bandon Trails has a really great short par 4. However, I have to give the edge to Old Mac. This par 5, that plays uphill and towards the ocean, tempts the player to bite off more than can chew with their second shots. There is a ferocious bunker waiting for any shots that are not hit with enough confidence or that are left out right. If you are in that bunker, just play out laterally or even back and try and salvage a score. This hole will reward those who play smart or who dare to go for it and succeed. It is a great risk reward hole, which is why it wins the spot for me.

The 15th hole at Old Mac (Westward Ho!)
OldMac15.jpg

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/filebin/images/course/oldmac/photos/OldMac15.jpg (Bandon Dunes Website)

Bunkers on #15 on Pacific and you can see the large mound on the front right of the green.
7990050315_0da3eeb2c9_z.jpg

7990057556_12c0a0250d_z.jpg

#16 Bandon Dunes, Par 4. It is hard for me to think that the great #16 Alps hole on Old Mac and the fun short par 4 16th at Pacific aren’t going to make the list. These are two of my favorite holes on the property and especially the 16th at Old Mac, which is in my top 10 of Bandon par 4s. However, the 16th hole on the Bandon Dunes course is just that good. It is a short par 4 that from the tee will just play with your mind. Playing with the ocean to your right and a large burn that bisects the fairway.

Dusk at Bandon Dunes #16 (pin is located on the plateau on the right)
7990012787_9a7aae1528_z.jpg

16th at Pacific Dunes
7990057048_530d231b7c_z.jpg

7990055818_94f082bc55_z.jpg

The other side of the Alps hole Old Mac #16
7990052195_94e39437f8_z.jpg

#17 Old Mac, Par 5. This is probably my favorite par 5 on the property. It has everything that you could want from a par 5. Each shot on this hole confronts the golfer with a discision. Off the tee one could chose the line left that has less trouble, but almost insures it as a three shot hole. Right is a longer carry and has several bunkers that come into play, but if you are able to navigate the danger then you are well set up for a shot at the green in two. Whether you are laying up or going for it, there are several bunkers that you will need to avoid or a par is going to be tough. The green is guarded in the front left by a large, deep bunker and anything hit long or right is going to find a large hummock that will deflect the ball any which way. The green has a very large ridge that cuts it in half. Whether the pin is in the front or back this is a tough and fun hole.

The right landing area on #17 at Old Mac
7990017106_c40065472c_z.jpg

Bunkering and a shot at the protected green on Old Mac #17
7990016556_b94b138304_z.jpg

Pacific Dunes Par 3 17th
7990054942_c1934cf05e_z.jpg

#18 Old Mac, Par 4. While I really like the par 5 finishing hole at Pacific Dunes that features a huge bunker on the left that comes into play off the tee. However, I think that Old Mac has the best finishing hole. This is a fantastic hole that requires you to hit a good drive and then a long iron/hybrid/wood that will chase along the ground and either split two large mounds that protect the front of the green, or you run it up left of the mounds. Either way don’t worry because this is a punchbowl green and everything will filter to the center. The trick is just getting it there.

Generous landing area on 18th at Old Mac
7990007881_ba259dca93_z.jpg

A view of the Punchbowl green with the hummock protecting the front.
7990015500_6dcc6472a2_z.jpg

Tee shot at Pacific Dunes par 5 finishing hole
7990046479_178d788924_z.jpg

Break Down
Pacific (7); Old Mac (6); Bandon Dunes (3); Bandon Trails (2)

If I was to rank the 4 courses, it would look much like the break down I have. I think that Pacific Dunes and Old Mac are essentially tied for the top spot and I go back and forth between which I like better Bandon Dunes or Bandon Trails. I have decided that it is like this. I think that Bandon Trails is the better course, however, I think that most people will enjoy playing Bandon Dunes more.

Last edited:
You've got me drooling on my keyboard. What a beautiful piece of property.

Fixed the problem with the pictures. All of them should show up now.

Such a beautiful course, how many balls did you lose into the ocean lol?

Holy crap dude! What a great review. These pictures are unreal

Such a beautiful course, how many balls did you lose into the ocean lol?

I am happy to report that no balls were lost to the ocean. Actually that is not true. For some reason I have a tradition of turning around and teeing one up on the back tee of 17th straight into the water. That tee box is right on the edge of the cliff, and it is just kind of fun to do.

Wow is all I really can say. Outstanding review.

some truely amazing pics of some awesome golf holes, thanks for sharing

I know it is very long winded, but I love the place and had a hard time talking about the holes that I love in less words. I would never make it in journalism.

Great thread!

I think your love of Old Mac & Pacific shows :)

#6 - I'd go with Bandon's par 3. Into the wind with the Pacific Ocean in the background. Club selection is key. Inredible view.

#7 - I'd go with Old Mac. Into the ocean and that huge elevation change that makes club selection 'interesting'. I love how the course messes with your mind - if I'm long I'm in the ocean, if I'm short it is going to roll back to me - and forces you to commit to the shot.

#14 - I'd go with Bandon's par 4. Love the approach shot into a skinny green with that huge natural sand dune behind. There's often a strong breeze in your face which makes club selection a challenge. FWIW I'd say Trail's #14 is a borderline stupid/bad hole. I don't hate or even dislike it per se but you kind of have a "what's the point?" feeling about its design. Blah. If I remember correctly they are re-working it this winter. There's a reason.

#15 - I'd go with Bandon's par 3. See description of number 6.

#17 - Old Mac is great but I might go with Trails par 3. Love the natural bunkering all around the hole and the false front. Special hole.

#18 - Again Old Mac is great - love the mound in front of the green that definitely comes into play. That said, I might go with Trails par 4. A little tricky visually off the tee, all the natural mounding along the fairway, uphill to the green. And the course is such a tough walk I also like how the clubhouse is right there waiting for you...you know you are this close to taking a load off and sipping a cold one :)

I know it is very long winded, but I love the place and had a hard time talking about the holes that I love in less words. I would never make it in journalism.

No apologies necessary. Great writeup for a great property!

Great thread!

I think your love of Old Mac & Pacific shows :)

#6 - I'd go with Bandon's par 3. Into the wind with the Pacific Ocean in the background. Club selection is key. Inredible view.

#7 - I'd go with Old Mac. Into the ocean and that huge elevation change that makes club selection 'interesting'. I love how the course messes with your mind - if I'm long I'm in the ocean, if I'm short it is going to roll back to me - and forces you to commit to the shot.

#14 - I'd go with Bandon's par 4. Love the approach shot into a skinny green with that huge natural sand dune behind. There's often a strong breeze in your face which makes club selection a challenge. FWIW I'd say Trail's #14 is a borderline stupid/bad hole. I don't hate or even dislike it per se but you kind of have a "what's the point?" feeling about its design. Blah. If I remember correctly they are re-working it this winter. There's a reason.

#15 - I'd go with Bandon's par 3. See description of number 6.

#17 - Old Mac is great but I might go with Trails par 3. Love the natural bunkering all around the hole and the false front. Special hole.

#18 - Again Old Mac is great - love the mound in front of the green that definitely comes into play. That said, I might go with Trails par 4. A little tricky visually off the tee, all the natural mounding along the fairway, uphill to the green. And the course is such a tough walk I also like how the clubhouse is right there waiting for you...you know you are this close to taking a load off and sipping a cold one :)

Great and valid points on all of these. I definitely struggled on half of those. I even see your point on #14, like I said it is definitely the most controversial pick on there. For what it is worth, they aren't doing anything to #14 (at least that is what they told me at the pro-shop). They are however reworking #16 and #18. They feel the cant on #16 is too severe from right to left and they think the drive on #18 is too hard as well as the approach shot to the green on #18. They are going to soften the front of the green so that balls that are hit slightly short don't trickle 60 yards down the hill. Great list btw!

That was fantastic. Nice thread, DocT.

Great and valid points on all of these. I definitely struggled on half of those. I even see your point on #14, like I said it is definitely the most controversial pick on there. For what it is worth, they aren't doing anything to #14 (at least that is what they told me at the pro-shop). They are however reworking #16 and #18. They feel the cant on #16 is too severe from right to left and they think the drive on #18 is too hard as well as the approach shot to the green on #18. They are going to soften the front of the green so that balls that are hit slightly short don't trickle 60 yards down the hill. Great list btw!
Your review is like a micro experience of being at the resort - instead of which course do you like best it is which hole do you like best. In both cases there's no right or wrong answer, which is part of the fun.

Thanks for the correction on Trails. I've only played it once and I did miss my drive about 5 feet too far to the right on 18 but I certainly would have never thought it was worthy of re-work. 16? Uh yeah, I get it. Tough hole.

BTW, both of us left The Preserve out of the mix and there are some really fun holes there too...

Doc, that was awesome man! Thank you for taking the time to do that. I want to get out there and play some time with you. I may have to schedule a work trip your way!

Your review is like a micro experience of being at the resort - instead of which course do you like best it is which hole do you like best. In both cases there's no right or wrong answer, which is part of the fun.

Thanks for the correction on Trails. I've only played it once and I did miss my drive about 5 feet too far to the right on 18 but I certainly would have never thought it was worthy of re-work. 16? Uh yeah, I get it. Tough hole.

BTW, both of us left The Preserve out of the mix and there are some really fun holes there too...

There are definitely some very fun holes at Preserve. I am working on a separate review for that one. I don't have any really good pictures though because my wife had the camera. Spoiler Alert: One word to describe Bandon Preserve is FUN!

Doc, that was awesome man! Thank you for taking the time to do that. I want to get out there and play some time with you. I may have to schedule a work trip your way!

That would be awesome!

Amazing pictures and great write up Stephen. You can tell you really have a special place in your heart for Bandon, the more I hear you talk about the place the more I realize that I must get there one day. Simply has to be done.

Thanks for taking the time to get this together for us.

What a breath taking course, I would certainly walk off the 18th green not caring how I played!!!

Doc...did you take all those pics? Wow!

All of them, except the ones that I have specified with links and the name of the website.

Drool... Thanks for posting the review.

What a great write up Doc. It really shows how much you love the courses at Bandon, (don't we all), but also how much you love course design in general. I have played all the courses several times and never noticed many of the features you described. Great job again!

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

Back