TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

I just wanted to say to you all that I have been reading this thread since the begining and last night I finally went out a bought a 60* ATV. I have been looking at it for months now and finally the funds came through to allow me to purchase one. The main reason I went with the ATV instead of a 588 or a Vokey is what I have read on this thread. Good work IHWT, KMAC, OG, JR and STACH!
I'm thinking of leaving work early today to give it a test as it was dark when I bought it yesterday. I'll leave a quick post of my thoughts later today.

Finally got some time to get caught up on the past few days of ATV thoughts. Thanks a million, Tlynar. Enjoy your ATV dude. I wish I had the spare funds laying around, because I would love to add a 60* or 64* to my bag. Initially, I thought I could get away with just bagging a 56* as my highest lofted wedge, but over the past few weeks, my attitude towards that has changed a bit. I feel like I just get a little too in between with the 56*, which causes me to decelerate and have bad little demons creep into my shots. With more loft, I could stay more aggressive and not get caught in between.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Alternating between the two sets, but I just like the spin and control I see out of my Nikes over the ATVs. With the ATVs, i felt I lost a good bit of spin on my shots and wasnt able to get the "check" that I wanted to.

Hard to argue with that, gotta have that check

Was finally able to get on the course this morning and play 9 and boy did the ATV's put on a show. I am getting my distance dialed in and put a ton of shots inside 5 feet today. I am seeing a ton of spin out of these, almost comparable to my MP-T10 non conforming wedge with the box grooves. Mine seem to be wearing well too, no excess wear so far.

My front nine today was sorry with every club in the bag. I painted about three hours in the sun yesterday, moved a HEAVY dining room suit we sold out to a u-haul truck, and had worked our early that day two hours in the gym. Sore and tired was a understatement. My chipping around the greens today with the ATV was the only decent shot I had in the bag, on the front side. On the back side I was not as stiff and parred every hole but one. Double bogied that one. I was chipping so well with my ATV, that I left my putter in the bag on five holes!

My front nine today was sorry with every club in the bag. I painted about three hours in the sun yesterday, moved a HEAVY dining room suit we sold out to a u-haul truck, and had worked our early that day two hours in the gym. Sore and tired was a understatement. My chipping around the greens today with the ATV was the only decent shot I had in the bag, on the front side. On the back side I was not as stiff and parred every hole but one. Double bogied that one. I was chipping so well with my ATV, that I left my putter in the bag on five holes!

wow that's amazing Ole Gray, I was going to ask if you were going to keep the ATV wedge in your bag since the testing is concluded but I guess after today you kind of have to keep it haha! Keep up the good work on the course!

wow that's amazing Ole Gray, I was going to ask if you were going to keep the ATV wedge in your bag since the testing is concluded but I guess after today you kind of have to keep it haha! Keep up the good work on the course!

Yep it's going to stay until I wear the grooves off the face :thumb:

Yep it's going to stay until I wear the grooves off the face :thumb:

Sorry guys. Been sick so both of my planned rounds have been canned. Hopefully can get these on a course soon. They were great at the range but I want real course time before posting any thoughts.

Would just like to say a big thank you to all of the testers for their great write ups. I hadn't really been considering replacing my 60* wedge but after reading how good they have been from the rough and sand, I really struggle out of bunkers, I will be seriously considering getting one of these for next season.

Would just like to say a big thank you to all of the testers for their great write ups. I hadn't really been considering replacing my 60* wedge but after reading how good they have been from the rough and sand, I really struggle out of bunkers, I will be seriously considering getting one of these for next season.

We appreciate ya kind sir! You might fine yourself a good bargain on these next season, once the new stuff comes out :golf2:

Atta boy, OG! Leaving the putter in the bag...no better feeling than that, my man.

Sorry guys. Been sick so both of my planned rounds have been canned. Hopefully can get these on a course soon. They were great at the range but I want real course time before posting any thoughts.

Been sick as well, which is putting a huge damper on the end of my golf season...especially paired with long hours in the office, and a previous injury. My luck is not great at the moment, can't wait to get back out on the links (hoping for Sunday morning, assuming better health).

Appreciate it, dude. I would def keep these on your radar as a "must test wedge". It's worth a look, and I am confident in saying that you will most likely really enjoy what you see.

Welp, got my ATVs reshafted and gripped yesterday and it's amazing how much of a difference that made. I switched to KBS C-Taper X-Stiff shafts with Winn Dri-Tac Midsize grips. I've always been able to generate massive amounts of spin with the ATVs, at times too much, causing the ball to suck back. The original wedge flex shafts were always a little soft for my taste and tended to launch really high. In addition, the extra flex was causing some consistency problems for me, especially out of bunkers and on flop shots. The new configuration was selected to help address these issues.

Anyways, since changing up the clubs, several differences have become apparent:
1) The wedges are noticeably heavier both in weight and swing weight. Basically I jumped from a ~95g shaft to nearly 130g. Despite removal of the lead balancing weights that come fitted in the heads, the swing weights of both the 54* and 60* went up by 1-1.5 points. The 54* is @ D5.5 and the 60* is @ D7. This is great for closer shots because the head cuts through the turf even more easily since it has more momentum.

2) Immediately different was how much stiffer the club feels (duh), but it's actually better than before. I can really feel the club positioning and all of the slop in the motion is gone, leading to very precise head placement. In addition, the increased stiffness lets you get aggressive with the swing because the head won't suddenly lag massively as you drag it through the turf. More on that in a bit.

3) Not surprisingly are the reductions in launch angle and spin both. These formerly ultra high launch clubs are now mid-trajectory rifles with a full swing. The spin rate is down a bit though I don't have any hard numbers. However, the spin is now in almost exactly the range that I want. Whereas before the ball would hit and pull back on a receptive surface, it now hits and stops. On a harder surface the ball will hit a release a couple of feet, almost exactly as my MB irons do.

4) Improvement in accuracy. While I could hit the previous setup well, I had to dial back my swing somewhat to avoid overflexing the club. The new shafts allow me to get really aggressive and rewards it with superb control in distance and direction on every type of shot.

5) Short game performance is vastly improved. Bunker, pitch, and flop shots have much tighter control. It is much easier to slide the club head under the ball properly and launch it high in the air. While full shots are knocked down a fair amount, the loft and spin on specialty shots seems to be unaffected or even improved over the stock shafts.

Yesterday I pulled off four shots that have given me grief since I started playing. First was a short-sided bunker shot with the pin on the top of a ridge that broke away on both sides. Normally I would catch this shot too heavy or scull it. Instead, using the same technique as every previous attempt, my first swing caught the sand perfectly, lofted the ball out and rolled it softly 8 feet past the hole, leaving a very reasonable chance at saving par. At first I was thinking that it was just dumb luck, but the later shots have convinced me otherwise. The second miracle shot came a couple of holes later when I hooked my approach and left 15yds uphill to a short-sided pin. The subsequent pitch hit within a foot of my target and released to a few feet below the hole, almost exactly where I wanted it. The next hole I plugged my approach into the back face of a bunker. Sand had spilled over the ball to the point that it was barely visible on a 45* upslope with a lip. I decided to be stupid and try the shot (again to a short-sided pin on a downslope away from me). I took the same bunker swing as always, expecting to get showered in sand while leaving the ball untouched. Instead, a explosion of sand gently lofted it out and the ball rolled to three feet right of the pin for an easy save. The final crazy shot was forced by a sculled approach that left 35yds back to the pin. While I had plenty of green to work with, I instead opted for a high pitch. This has historically been my worst shot, pitching in the 30-50yd range. However, this time around, rather than overshooting or chunking, the shot popped high into the air then hopped and stopped six feet left of the pin, letting me save par.

To say that I am ecstatic about these clubs is an understatement. The new configuration makes the 60* wedge about as close to perfect as I've ever played. Anyone out there who is on the fence about the ATVs, consider getting them modified! The heads are incredible and when coupled with the right shaft, they bring a whole new aspect to the game.

KBS C-Taper X in your wedge?? Good grief you must swing very fast.

Yeah, it's a quick swing. I've learned to accept it. Every time I tried to slow things down, everything got out of alignment, so fast back and through it is.

Yeah, it's a quick swing. I've learned to accept it. Every time I tried to slow things down, everything got out of alignment, so fast back and through it is.

that's cool man, I hope the ATV wedges work out for you and although that seems like a crazy combo I bet it makes a difference.

Here's a question for those who have higher lofted ATV's (60 and up).

One of my go to shots with my 60 (6* bounce) is hitting down on the back of the ball sharply -with a swing like a bunker shot from half shot distance. The ball spins well and stops next to the ball mark with no run out. I know the lead edge on the 56 ATV does not seem to be "sharp" enough to want to hit this shot. How about the 60 ATV?

One of my go to shots with my 60 (6* bounce) is hitting down on the back of the ball sharply -with a swing like a bunker shot from half shot distance. The ball spins well and stops next to the ball mark with no run out. I know the lead edge on the 56 ATV does not seem to be "sharp" enough to want to hit this shot. How about the 60 ATV?
It can handle that shot with no problems at all, one of my favorite shots to hit is the ball back in my stance 1/2 to 3/4 swing low spinner that either hops once or twice and just stops dead. I am still having amazing results with these wedges everywhere from the course except the bunkers, not sure why but I still have not figured them out from the bunker yet. I always hit it fat from the bunker with these.

Got a schooling in the short game area yesterday. Frank used his ATVs high or low with equally great results. It was awesome to watch

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Got a schooling in the short game area yesterday. Frank used his ATVs high or low with equally great results. It was awesome to watch

You forgot those flubs, but thanks buddy. Just close your eyes and swing like I do.

Good stuff Frank. Ive been struggling with mine lately for some reason. Tons of flubs and fatties. Think Ive been thinking about SCOR's too much.

Good stuff Frank. Ive been struggling with mine lately for some reason. Tons of flubs and fatties. Think Ive been thinking about SCOR's too much.

Was going to respond but not the correct thread. I'm very happy with mine

The Scors are outstanding as well. I would get them again in a heart beat. I would want 41, 46, 52, 58. Forget the 4 degree gaps and I think they would be perfect.

Both the 54* and 60* wedges can pull this shot off with the right swing. While the leading edge doesn't look 'sharp', it actually slices straight through the turf. Hit and stop shots are nice and easy with both of those clubs.

So I had an interesting experience yesterday with the ATV, I've never tried it on a mat so since my home course's range closed early yesterday, I went to the other course range that has mats. first off, I hate mats. They are terrible and in my opinion inconsistent to hit from. I was pretty angry that most of the shots were hit fat for some reason, and I walked out to the grass and I was hitting them normal. I don't understand if it's just a mental thing, since I don't like mats I hit terribly, but it sucks haha. I must admit that I was hitting all of shots really steep unlike the day before where I was hitting nicely on the course!

I tried the ATVs at the Des Moines outing. It was the second time I had hit them. They were still money on full or mostly full swings. Pure and felt very balanced for my swing. Better than any wedge I have ever swung. However, I was not impressed by the delicate open faced (flop) shots. It wasn't that the club didn't open up correctly. The whole "no bounce" thing works as advertised, but the performance of the shots was less than desirable. Looks like my search continues.

~Rock

I tried the ATVs at the Des Moines outing. It was the second time I had hit them. They were still money on full or mostly full swings. Pure and felt very balanced for my swing. Better than any wedge I have ever swung. However, I was not impressed by the delicate open faced (flop) shots. It wasn't that the club didn't open up correctly. The whole "no bounce" thing works as advertised, but the performance of the shots was less than desirable. Looks like my search continues.

~Rock

Opening the face is a bit awkward sometimes, and it's easy to chunk it when the face is open. Sometimes I don't even open it that much during sand shots sometimes.

Back