Northern California THP'ers Wente Vineyards or Callippe Preserve

i would like to know too

Hmmm, not too many Thp'ers our part of the country. I guess we'll have to play these courses ourselves and review them Vision! :dont-know:

I'm up for it. I've played Callippe twice before and enjoy it. Have never played Wente.

Hmmm, not too many Thp'ers our part of the country. I guess we'll have to play these courses ourselves and review them Vision! :dont-know:

Callippe is nice. Haven't played Wente

I just recently moved from Pleasanton and have played both. Wente is the best course in the East Bay and one of the top 5 public <$100 in the Bay Area IMO. Great layout (tough) that winds through the vineyards and the hills of Livermore. Some fun holes to play to which include a couple short par 4's. It has everything, elevation change, hazards, ob, blind shots, etc but just enough of each not to get old. Quick greens and it is always in nice shape. Go play it if you get the chance.

I played Callippe a couple times and that was it, I just didn't like it. The 1st 8 holes were good, but then it got stupid. The 9th, a long par 5, required a 3 wood off the tee and then had a lay up that I never got right. #10 had no where to lay up on a par 4 after a bad tee shot, #11 had the stupidest green ever sloping from back to front. #12 and #13 felt like filler holes and both were short par 4's (i think the designer just ran out of space). #17 required a 3 wood off the tee to avoid the creek cutting across the hazard on the fairway and #18 needed a tee shot into the hill right of the fairway to kick it down into play. Play was always slow (like 5 to 6 hours). On the plus side it had great views of Mt. Diablo and the Tri-Valley on some of the holes.

I also have never played either but sure would love to tag along

Played both many times, livegolf is correct, Wente is the best course is the East Bay (it used to have a Nationwide Tour event there). it's around $100 on the weekends, but pace is usually pretty good as they do a fantastic job spacing out the tee times.

Callippe on the other hand is a good but not great course. The back 9 is a little different as there are indeed some tricky/hokey holes. (18 being the worst). The course is kept in good shape however, pace of play is SLOW on weekends.

Played both courses. I agree with mag. I like Wente over Callippe because I don't like slow pace. They both are very nice course and you should try them both. You can also look into Poppy Ridge in Livermore. It's also pretty good.

You can also look into Poppy Ridge in Livermore. It's also pretty good.

Glad to hear the positive Wente review. Wente is at the top of my "courses ~1 hour away I need to try" list along with Cordevalle. I played Poppy Ridge a couple weeks ago. The course was nice, and in very good condition. Unfortunately, the girl in the pro shop interpreted my "Is the course walkable?" question to mean "Am I allowed to walk the course?". The 1/4 mile walk between 9 Chardonnay and Merlot 1 was, err... fun. (take a cart!)

I haven't played either. Would be down to play...but I need to get my practice on. Been away a few too many weeks.

Another vote for Wente, and I've played both. They protect their rough and it works well with the fairways still being very nice too. Some challenging hill holes, but also some more open. Plus it's a winery :act-up:

Callippe is nice for a public course, but nothing remarkable in my mind.

Count me in as I'd love to join you guys (and I'll play from the whites).

V

Last edited:
Back