Bandon Dunes Resort Review and Composite Routing

What a great write up Doc. It really shows how much you love the courses at Bandon, (don't we all), but also how much you love course design in general. I have played all the courses several times and never noticed many of the features you described. Great job again!

Chipped via Tapatalk 2

Thanks man! It was a ton! Of fun playing those courses with you. I have a good action picture of you swinging. I will have to send it to you.

I still can't believe you walked all 4 of these courses in one day. You had to have been BEAT!!!

I still can't believe you walked all 4 of these courses in one day. You had to have been BEAT!!!

Lets put it this way, I still haven't hit a golf ball since that day :D

I am happy to report that no balls were lost to the ocean. Actually that is not true. For some reason I have a tradition of turning around and teeing one up on the back tee of 17th straight into the water. That tee box is right on the edge of the cliff, and it is just kind of fun to do.

hahah that's awesome, I bet it's a wonderful experience, screw pebble beach, I'm going to Bandon Dunes haha.

It reminds me of the episode of seinfeld, I bet you got a hole in one and they find the dolphin later haha

Holy crapolla Doctor. I want to be on the next flight to Oregon. This thread is absolutely stunning.

hahah that's awesome, I bet it's a wonderful experience, screw pebble beach, I'm going to Bandon Dunes haha.

It reminds me of the episode of seinfeld, I bet you got a hole in one and they find the dolphin later haha

Actually it was that episode that started the tradition. It was just too hard to pass up :)

Actually it was that episode that started the tradition. It was just too hard to pass up :)

I bet you're going to miss it, hopefully Colorado has something that's good enough haha, it will be tough not having that view basically in your backyard

Nice thread Stephen and great reviews and pics. Love that place. I hope someday to play the Bandon courses with you, but am a little hesitant since it seems you would kick my @ss with the way you have been playing lately. :)

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. That makes me want to plan a golf trip there and play all four course!! Don't know how one keeps his focus with views like that. What is the lodging like for that area? Recommendations? I'm sure I could gather up a few THPers for a road trip. :banana:

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. That makes me want to plan a golf trip there and play all four course!! Don't know how one keeps his focus with views like that. What is the lodging like for that area? Recommendations? I'm sure I could gather up a few THPers for a road trip. :banana:

There is great lodging on site and if you stay on site, then you get the resort rates, which in the summer are like $50 less. There are also hotels and motels in nearby Bandon that are usually cheaper than the resort, but you don't get the reduced rate. The amenities on property are fantastic though.

Nice thread Stephen and great reviews and pics. Love that place. I hope someday to play the Bandon courses with you, but am a little hesitant since it seems you would kick my @ss with the way you have been playing lately. :)
Dude, I have yet to beat you so I don't know what you are worried about. (I did tie you at Chambers though:banana:). The Bandon courses play to my weakness, crazy off the tee. It seems like you usually have a shot to save par there.

Last edited:
Fantastic review Stephen. I really enjoyed how you created your best of Bandon 18. I can't wait to get back there.

Dr Teeth,

That was an outstanding write-up. I really enjoyed your commentary and the pictures. I could almost feel the breeze and smell the salt air (as a kid I played on the beaches in the area, so your pictures brought back fond memories).

I definitely need to make it up there for a round or two.

Thanks for sharing, some of the ocean views are incredible. I played all 4 regulation courses on a trip in 2011 and Old Mac is a winner for sure. Not a fan of a PD and Trails. Have you played Bandon Crossings? It has a couple of the Bandon courses beat IMO

Good review, almost good enough to make me want to play Old Mac again...almost. I really like the other three courses though.

In answer to the lodging question, Coos Bay is also an option up the coast a little as well as Bandon. Coos Bay is probably better with a non-golfing spouse.

Bandon Crossing, has carts, is an ok course and is cheap.

Incredible photos!! Wow, that place looks amazing. You look totally alone in most all of them. Bucket list material for sure.
How on earth do you play 4 courses in one day? Walking no less?!

What a great review! This is a must or me going forward now. I have family in Oregon so I could make it doable!

What an amazing place , great review and those pictures are drop dead spectacular .

Dude, I have yet to beat you so I don't know what you are worried about. (I did tie you at Chambers though:banana:). The Bandon courses play to my weakness, crazy off the tee. It seems like you usually have a shot to save par there.
Very true, thanks for the confidence boost. HA I would love to play there again soon and give Old Mac a chance (my least fave of the 4). Played well on Pacific and Bandon, the weather turned on Old Mac for us (rain, wind), and I was fatigued and played like crap on Trails. Pacific is my favorite, followed by Bandon Dunes, Trails and finally Old Mac. Favorite holes on the property #4 on Pacific, #16 on Bandon, #11 on Trails, #7 on Old Mac.... many more too! Again man, great thread and cool angle for a review.

Very true, thanks for the confidence boost. HA I would love to play there again soon and give Old Mac a chance (my least fave of the 4). Played well on Pacific and Bandon, the weather turned on Old Mac for us (rain, wind), and I was fatigued and played like crap on Trails. Pacific is my favorite, followed by Bandon Dunes, Trails and finally Old Mac. Favorite holes on the property #4 on Pacific, #16 on Bandon, #11 on Trails, #7 on Old Mac.... many more too! Again man, great thread and cool angle for a review.

I love everyone of those holes! You are right Old Mac in the wind is a beast! It is the most exposed of the 4 and the wind can really get going. I have played Old Mac a few times when the wind was a south wind (normal is a north wind) and that makes it tough. The places where the wind is supposed to help you, it is hurting you. A good example is the 500 yard par 4 4th hole on Old Mac. It is long as it is and it is super long playing into a 20 mph wind.

Simply amazing golf courses and an awesome write up. Looks like a place to add to the list for sure.

Thanks Dr. Teeth!

Simply amazing golf courses and an awesome write up. Looks like a place to add to the list for sure.

Thanks Dr. Teeth!

It should be at the top of any golf enthusiasts list for sure!

they softened trails #14 this past year. they created a flatter area for balls to roll into midway down the fairway, so you weren't penalized so severely for shots a little off the green.
also they widened it so you weren't guaranteed to be in a divot when your ball rolled down.
lastly they softened the punchbowl of the front part of the green to give high handicappers (ahem) a chance at holding the green when pitching and not pingponging back and forth across the width of the green.

i hate that hole. worst hole of the entire complex.
i too have driven the green, been in the dunes left of the green, been in the trees right of the green. i've never taken any club less than 4wood off the tee though. it's such an elevated green. i've played probably 30 rounds at trails.
what would make you choose seven iron out of curiosity. howling wind at the back?

they softened trails #14 this past year. they created a flatter area for balls to roll into midway down the fairway, so you weren't penalized so severely for shots a little off the green.
also they widened it so you weren't guaranteed to be in a divot when your ball rolled down.
lastly they softened the punchbowl of the front part of the green to give high handicappers (ahem) a chance at holding the green when pitching and not pingponging back and forth across the width of the green.

i hate that hole. worst hole of the entire complex.
i too have driven the green, been in the dunes left of the green, been in the trees right of the green. i've never taken any club less than 4wood off the tee though. it's such an elevated green. i've played probably 30 rounds at trails.
what would make you choose seven iron out of curiosity. howling wind at the back?

I have laid up with a 4 iron, and that was with a significant wind at my back. I wish I could hit a 7 iron that far :D I definitely know why people dislike this hole so much, but the more I play it, the more I like it. I must be twisted :D

Just saw Matt Ginella of Golf Digest tweet a picture of the Kemper sports peoples picks for their favorite holes. I didn't do too bad, and there are a few of them that they just got wrong :D

http://instagram.com/p/QBhLAxpY1q/

matt_ginellaAt dinner w/ @kempersports execs & ranked best hole-by-hole @bandondunesgolf. Results are staggering.

Back