Out of the blue, lose distance control?

Jericho

Albatross
Reaction score
Handicap
Ever just wake up one day and completely lose your distance control with your putter/irons?

I had always been a mediocre putter but could pretty much be assured of a 2 putt from anywhere, then out of the blue I started pushing everything passed the hole by 5+ feet. It's ironic because I'm working on a new swing and my GIR is going through the roof yet my score isn't dropping lol. I shot an 85 Sunday and had 40+ putts. I've had probably 3 straight rounds where I simply cannot judge the pace. Very frustrating

Jericho this is golf and we have all been in your shoes bro. It isn't funny at all! Just play through it after a short break

I'm going through something similar right now with my chipping. As recently as a few weeks ago my chipping was one of my strengths. I was hitting flop shots, bump and runs and judging the distance very well. I was disappointed if I didn't hit it to within 5 feet. My last 2 rounds I have a combined zero up and downs and I'm not hitting my chips even close (the last 2 rounds I'd say I'm leaving myself 20+ feet every chip). I just can't seem to get the correct distance lately and it's been extremely frustrating. Plan on getting out to the chipping green as much as possible until I get it straightened out. I would suggest to keep practicing and it will come back, that's what I'm hoping for.

Yep, it happens. In fact, you know how people say hit the range to warm up, find out what swing you've got and play to it that day? I'mm kinda like that on the practice green before a round.

Every once in a while I lose all ability to hit the green within 100 yards. Usually I end up leaving everything short by 15 or so yards when it happens. Putting distance control happens but nowhere near as much as the wedges do for me.

This defintely happens, because three out of my last four rounds have been this exact problem for me. Out of the blue, just losing your putting stroke, decelerating, or what have you....this is golf. Some days you'll be on point, and others will have you as frustrated as I have been lately.

It comes and goes some days. I can be dead on with the pace of the greens for 5 or 6 holes, then all of a sudden I am putting stuff 20 feet past.

Funny enough, if I make putts on the practice green, I am usually way off when on the course. Don't be discouraged by a miss, they will start dropping eventually.

I hate that. When it just disappears after if being there the round before. Makes it tough to finish the round and then play again soon.

Ever just wake up one day and completely lose your distance control with your putter/irons?

I had always been a mediocre putter but could pretty much be assured of a 2 putt from anywhere, then out of the blue I started pushing everything passed the hole by 5+ feet. It's ironic because I'm working on a new swing and my GIR is going through the roof yet my score isn't dropping lol. I shot an 85 Sunday and had 40+ putts. I've had probably 3 straight rounds where I simply cannot judge the pace. Very frustrating

Funny you mention this. I'm a high handicap but my putting (like you, 2 putt from anywhere) is usually pretty consistant as well. When you sarcastically say ur GIR going through the roof but score not dropping, I am taking that to mean you are actually hitting more greens yet score not drop because of the putting? If thats what you mean, I find this happens to me alot.
Although I can usually count on pretty consistant putting it tends to magically (and frustratingly so) disapear just when the other parts of my game are working better on a given day.
I really think its just mental in my head (and just maybe same happeneing to you) because (of the better play) I sense a better round comming into existance and therefore possibly (by hunman nature) more pressure to make the putts because ya start subconciously thinking about it and really pushing for the pars and birds for possibly the best round you may have. Its kind of like- how many times can ya remember blowing a short putt for bird on the same one that you'll most always make if it were for bogey.
IDK if this is your reason but thought to throw it out there sinse I believe its what happens to me. In any case I hope and am sure it will come back.

I am taking that to mean you are actually hitting more greens yet score not drop because of the putting?

Thats exactly what I mean. For example on the front 9 I hit 7 greens, one 15 yards short, and then another that I hit pin high but 10 yards to the left...to a protected green with a front left pin (water). Ended with a 41 and 22 putts. One hole was a birdie on a par 3 so if I 2-putt the other 8 holes that leaves me with 17 putts and a front 9 of 36. Oh how I hate that I love this game.

Back