How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Dev, the only obstacle you may have is getting the graphite out. Somebody else may be able to help you with that, but it's a different process.

Ughhh of course. Thanks for the heads up.

Excellent, I'll be reading this after class Hawk. I need to learn to do some club work by myself. Thanks for writing this up.

Dev, the only obstacle you may have is getting the graphite out. Somebody else may be able to help you with that, but it's a different process.

Yes. Don't pull the heads off of graphite like you can do with steel. Use a shaft puller or else you can seriously damage the graphite shafts

Yes. Don't pull the heads off of graphite like you can do with steel. Use a shaft puller or else you can seriously damage the graphite shafts

What if you aren't concerned about damaging them? Just out of curiosity.

What if you aren't concerned about damaging them? Just out of curiosity.

If you overheated the graphite, couldn't it break off or splinter in the hosel?

Btw, fantastic how to man.

If you overheated the graphite, couldn't it break off or splinter in the hosel?

Btw, fantastic how to man.

Thanks, buddy. That's the same thing I wondered.

In reality Hawk, you could just break the shaft in the hosel and just drill it out. It's a pain the butt though.

What an awesome thread! Thanks for showing us how it's done. I plan on using a few old clubs and practicing with those before moving on to an sets I plan to put into play. Thanks again!

Thanks was very cool to post this to help other THPers attempt some club building. I dont believe Im at that stage yet, but once I am this will be my guide. Thanks again Hawk.

Excellent reference for a club build.

Quick question though regarding the ferrules. Do you apply epoxy to the ferrule as well to get it to stay in place? Or is it excess epoxy at join that affixes it?

Thanks Hawk for posting this. Consider yourself rep'd, and this thread bookmarked for when I get around to having a place to do such things.

Excellent reference for a club build.

Quick question though regarding the ferrules. Do you apply epoxy to the ferrule as well to get it to stay in place? Or is it excess epoxy at join that affixes it?

I usually just smear a little of the excess up the tip to get the ferrule stuck there. So far I've never had one move. Glad you guys are finding this helpful! It certainly isn't anything to be scared of doing. I haven't screwed anything up bad enough that it can't be fixed. Like I said, the worst case scenario I've seen had me starting over at step one.

I usually just smear a little of the excess up the tip to get the ferrule stuck there. So far I've never had one move. Glad you guys are finding this helpful! It certainly isn't anything to be scared of doing. I haven't screwed anything up bad enough that it can't be fixed. Like I said, the worst case scenario I've seen had me starting over at step one.

Dude this is awesome! I am thinking about a reshaft or two over the winter. Maybe some spinners in my wedges and some KBS tours in the Ci11s. We will see, but I will be trying to do it myself if I do end up trying it

I agree with this Hawk. It's nothing overly difficult or anything to be real scared about. It's really a fun hobby to get in to as well.

Question. I live in a townhouse with no unfinished or 'work' space. I'm working on rectifying that situation, but would like to have options at my current place. Do any of you have any recommendations on a setup that is portable like a vise that clamps to a countertop or one of those workhorses that have the clamping top?

This is awesome Hawk. Something I'll definitely use in the future. Rep added. Thanks a ton.

Excellent post Hawk!
Like Ddec mentioned here and elsewhere, club making is fun and is much easier then people think for certain tasks.

Question. I live in a townhouse with no unfinished or 'work' space. I'm working on rectifying that situation, but would like to have options at my current place. Do any of you have any recommendations on a setup that is portable like a vise that clamps to a countertop or one of those workhorses that have the clamping top?

This is my situation as well. Thus I ended up getting a portable vise from Canadian Tire for $40 or so so that it can be put away as needed. From what I understand, they're not exactly uncommon at Lowe's/Rona/etc so you should be able to find one easily. Just add a rubber grip clamp and job's a good 'un.

Really, unless you want to get pretty fancy with the gizmo's, most of the common tools are pretty easy to put away as needed. Epoxy and mixers, ferrules, knife, solvent, ruler, moveable vise and clamp don't take up much room and are pretty portable. The only annoying thing for me to move at this time is the saw I use. Then again, I don't have the other gizmo's I want yet which aren't quite as portable (digital flex, mitchel loft/lie, swing weight)

I used to do the work in my kitchen. I used this little table for a while. Still do, just down in a basement now.

419C44MSQKL._SS400_.jpg

Excellent post Hawk!
Like Ddec mentioned here and elsewhere, club making is fun and is much easier then people think for certain tasks.

This is my situation as well. Thus I ended up getting a portable vise from Canadian Tire for $40 or so so that it can be put away as needed. From what I understand, they're not exactly uncommon at Lowe's/Rona/etc so you should be able to find one easily. Just add a rubber grip clamp and job's a good 'un.

Really, unless you want to get pretty fancy with the gizmo's, most of the common tools are pretty easy to put away as needed. Epoxy and mixers, ferrules, knife, solvent, ruler, moveable vise and clamp don't take up much room and are pretty portable. The only annoying thing for me to move at this time is the saw I use. Then again, I don't have the other gizmo's I want yet which aren't quite as portable (digital flex, mitchel loft/lie, swing weight)

I used to do the work in my kitchen. I used this little table for a while. Still do, just down in a basement now.

419C44MSQKL._SS400_.jpg

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Nice write up, I have a set off old Wilson's I might give it a try with and then if that goes well I think I will reshaft my dads Titleist 990s.

Nice write up, I have a set off old Wilson's I might give it a try with and then if that goes well I think I will reshaft my dads Titleist 990s.

You'll definitely get better at it after a time or two. This one went very smoothly compared to the first time.

Great post Hawk. I didn't know it was this easy either. Very cool read.

Great thread Hawk, I just ordered the Roberts puller from the bay. Do you use the same epoxy for everything, irons/ drivers? I just need to order some ferrules and epoxy as I have everything else.

I've never done graphite, Vince, but I'm sure somebody can chime in with an answer.

Back