Cobra AMP Driver Review

Re the shaft and high launch... so this is definitely part of my ponder. There's another thread about going to a higher lofted driver. Most people found they lost very inconsequential distance because the ball staying in the air longer (less resistance) actually made up for the lost roll, and whatever distance was lost was more than made up for with extra forgiveness on side spin, which equates to more fairways hit. So I'm wondering if this driver takes that concept to new levels. The club face has less loft (10.5 vs. 12) so I might get a little extra distance there, the shaft provides the loft so I might still get that 'in the air' distance phenomena, the offset provides even greater accuracy and potentially more repeatable / predictable ball flight patterns, etc. If all those theories are proven true with hard data this could seriously be the perfect driver for me, a real game changer. In which case, between this driver and the SeeMore putter I really wouldn't have many excuses left for sucking at this game :bashful:

Cub Scouts and basketball (I coach) have started this for my kids so this has been a crazy week, but I've got to find some time to experiment with this set up a bit more. Maybe Saturday afternoon. As it is I'm about 90% sure the G20 is going to the Marketplace or will be traded in to fund this purchase...

With how well the Amp is treating me right now I want to shoot a 100 videos. Can't wait to get my promo done.

That's good to hear. I have been hawk pondering this for too long. Time to bite the bullet. What head you have Frank?

That's good to hear. I have been hawk pondering this for too long. Time to bite the bullet. What head you have Frank?

9.5* and I love it

The 55 or 65 gram shaft version and did you hit both?

The 55 or 65 gram shaft version and did you hit both?

I have the 55gm shaft. Did not hit the other. This one is just really good for me.

Thanks piratefrank

I've never hit an offset driver. I don't slice all of the time with the driver but that is my miss. Curious If the offset would be to much. I may be better off with the adjustable one and just close the face a bit???

I've never hit an offset driver. I don't slice all of the time with the driver but that is my miss. Curious If the offset would be to much. I may be better off with the adjustable one and just close the face a bit???

I have never hit the offset version, I wish I could give some feedback.

I should clarify, that's my miss too. And I miss more than I'd like. But I definitely don't block it all the time.

Offset vs. Adjustable is a really tough one to answer. I think you have to hit both and see for yourself.

I got on the machine at GolfSmith tonight for a few swings. I am not a big fan of the monitors, would much prefer to hit outside with Trackman. But it is what it is. Per the monitors I was hitting the Amp 250 and straight, with almost no roll out. I was hitting the G20 about 8 yards further after roll out, but also less reliably straight. One thing that sucks about GS is they said picking the wrong shaft is not covered in their playability guarantee. Seems like total BS to me. What could be more related to playability than the shaft? Anyway, they also said Cobra does not provide them stiff shaft demos. So it appears I'm kind of stuck with having to take a gamble on stiff or go with regular shaft, knowing I'm hitting the ball very high. My SS is right about 95, which is squarely in Cobra's stiff range - at least per their web site. Also, their site says the stiff shaft has a mid kick point, whereas the regular has a low kick point, so I think it is reasonable to expect the shaft would bring down the ball flight some. So very tempted, but I hate to make a purchase with this much guess work. Oh well, I can take my time. The drivers aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
That is tough. I decided I am going regular 9.5 stiff. I would prefer the 65 gram shaft but happy with either at this point. Thanks for the update tequila.

I took the plunge. TGW had an offer that was too good to pass up. 30% bonus on their already highest I could find trade in values, they pay shipping on the trade in, the AMP was on sale, they had a promo-code going for an extra 15% off that sale price plus free shipping and their 30 day playability guarantee was solid (only down side is that you get a store credit not cash). I had decided my G20 was just not a good fit for me, even if it is a great club. It pains me to say that and see it go, but the truth is it had already been replaced by a high lofted G10 and was mostly collecting dust in the garage. I probably left some money on the table doing the trade in vs. selling, but not too much. After all the offers and discounts I am less than $10 out of pocket. FWIW I went with stiff shaft. TBD on how much that helps with ball flight.

Last edited:
I took the plunge. TGW had an offer that was too good to pass up. 30% bonus on their already highest I could find trade in values, they pay shipping on the trade in, the AMP was on sale, they had a promo-code going for an extra 15% off that sale price plus free shipping and their 30 day playability guarantee was solid (only down side is that you get a store credit not cash). I had decided my G20 was just not a good fit for me, even if it is a great club. It pains me to say that and see it go, but the truth is it had already been replaced by a high lofted G10 and was mostly collecting dust in the garage. I probably left some money on the table doing the trade in vs. selling, but not too much. After all the offers and discounts I am less than $10 out of pocket. FWIW I went with stiff shaft. TBD on how much that helps with ball flight.

Awesome man, I hope it serves you well.

Some potentially useful info for anyone pondering this driver...

Before I found the deal that made me take the plunge I sent Cobra customer service an e-mail asking where I could find a demo club in stiff in my area. I got the response back today. They mentioned they are discontinuing the AMP line this year, and it will be replaced by something different in 2013. If it bothers you to have a discontinued product in the bag then you may want to pass on this one. On the other hand, if you like high quality gear at really modest prices then now is the time to buy because the line is being aggressively priced to make room for the 2013 replacement.

I wonder what they are bringing out in 2013??? :alien: the AMP is priced ridiculously low right now!

Some potentially useful info for anyone pondering this driver...

Before I found the deal that made me take the plunge I sent Cobra customer service an e-mail asking where I could find a demo club in stiff in my area. I got the response back today. They mentioned they are discontinuing the AMP line this year, and it will be replaced by something different in 2013. If it bothers you to have a discontinued product in the bag then you may want to pass on this one. On the other hand, if you like high quality gear at really modest prices then now is the time to buy because the line is being aggressively priced to make room for the 2013 replacement.

Interesting, I wonder what they could be replacing it with

Tapped out on my EVO 4G LTE

I wonder what they are bringing out in 2013??? :alien: the AMP is priced ridiculously low right now!

It will have my attention with how good the amp is.

Its hard to believe that the amp can be approved upon.

When I got that message from Cobra I pretty quickly remembered JB's post about certain events having pre-release items and how people can't talk about those products...

The new one should sell extremely well

[insert expletive] marketing campaigns, new allegedly superior technologies and product life cycles...a mere 36 hours ago I was giddy, eagerly awaiting delivery of my new driver. Now I'm on the cusp of buyer remorse :)

We have our answer: Amp CELL. Impressive and intriguing.

[insert expletive] marketing campaigns, new allegedly superior technologies and product life cycles...a mere 36 hours ago I was giddy, eagerly awaiting delivery of my new driver. Now I'm on the cusp of buyer remorse :)

We have our answer: Amp CELL. Impressive and intriguing.

Definitley. I wouldn't worry about missing out though. I think they've added some great features to what was already a really good driver. Plus, these are at a great price right now.

Back