Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia Lumia 820 :) Gotta support my local Microsoft lol

Hold on. So the iPhone 5 didn't impress but you like the Lumia 820?!?! I'm confused.

I let Siri do my THP'ing on my iPhone 5

The iPhone 5 really isnt that impressive to say the truth.

Dude, hit the rack...you've got some golf to play tomorrow! Oh, wait...I'm the one needing to hit the sack..call first before the long haul!

Hey Ryan. Lol. I'm not sure I like the new blackberry phone. It's what it will look like too.

Play dough, I can very easily download and use android apps on my play book. I don't think BBM 10 will have any issues with that. Have you used the play book and its 2.0 software? It's legit. My only issue is and always has been lack of stock useful apps.

I have to admit that I haven't. We (Verizon) was supposed to get it when it came out and VZW said no thanks after they figured out what a piece the orginal software was. I played with one right before they came out when the Blackberry rep came in with one. I wasn't impressed at all, and haven't even seen one with 2.0. I hope for the sake of competition that Blackberry figures it out, but I just don't see it happening. They are 3 to 4 years behind devolpment of base software that can sustain itself. As you said, the stock apps are useless on the phones...

I have to agree with this. I was talking with some co-workers at my store the other day and we talking about the lack of evolvement from Apple. There are what 4 major differences between an iPhone3GS and iPhone5? Faster processor, better camera, Siri, and 4G. Thats not really evolement to me in the mobile world. When one of the major points of software is native facebook support your just catching up. They just don't seem to me to be evolving the product or the software, especially when compared to Android.

I have to agree with this. I was talking with some co-workers at my store the other day and we talking about the lack of evolvement from Apple. There are what 4 major differences between an iPhone3GS and iPhone5? Faster processor, better camera, Siri, and 4G. Thats not really evolement to me in the mobile world. When one of the major points of software is native facebook support your just catching up. They just don't seem to me to be evolving the product or the software, especially when compared to Android.

Not trying to defend the iPhone, but where do they have to go with development. I think they are just trying to improve the hardware side of the device. They let the App store handle all of the software advances and just make a solid device. I think we are at a plateau right now on mobile phones. I am sure somebody or something will come out in the next 5 years that will revolutionize the marketing, but it will not be anything like what is out now.

Not trying to defend the iPhone, but where do they have to go with development. I think they are just trying to improve the hardware side of the device. They let the App store handle all of the software advances and just make a solid device. I think we are at a plateau right now on mobile phones. I am sure somebody or something will come out in the next 5 years that will revolutionize the marketing, but it will not be anything like what is out now.

I guess I look at it a little different from being inside the industry and being able to play with and see what each phone is able to do. I guess I look at Apple and see that the software is the same for the last 4 devices they have built and they lack (but gaining) a lot of basic stuff that Android has stock. Maybe a little of Android fandom clouds my Apple view, but I also thought this before I started selling Apple devices. But where Apple does rule the roost is integration between their different device platforms and Android has a lot of catching up there to do. I think that all platforms are lacking on power to be honest. I'm not sure that a lot of people really fully understand the power that LTE has and isn't even being tapped. Untill the computer power inside devices catches up and more than just processor speed, its going to require more RAM, then the devices just can't handle the speed that LTE can really provide. For once the networks are actually ahead of what phones can handle.

I guess I look at it a little different from being inside the industry and being able to play with and see what each phone is able to do. I guess I look at Apple and see that the software is the same for the last 4 devices they have built and they lack (but gaining) a lot of basic stuff that Android has stock. Maybe a little of Android fandom clouds my Apple view, but I also thought this before I started selling Apple devices. But where Apple does rule the roost is integration between their different device platforms and Android has a lot of catching up there to do. I think that all platforms are lacking on power to be honest. I'm not sure that a lot of people really fully understand the power that LTE has and isn't even being tapped. Untill the computer power inside devices catches up and more than just processor speed, its going to require more RAM, then the devices just can't handle the speed that LTE can really provide. For once the networks are actually ahead of what phones can handle.

I am probably the opposite of you with a little bit of Apple fandom blinders. I just feel like they are at the top of functionality, except processor speed, cameras and the siri program. I think that will come in time. Sorta like the computer industry. It took them a while to get the processors up to speed, but I think they are pretty good now.

I am probably the opposite of you with a little bit of Apple fandom blinders. I just feel like they are at the top of functionality, except processor speed, cameras and the siri program. I think that will come in time. Sorta like the computer industry. It took them a while to get the processors up to speed, but I think they are pretty good now.

That is an interesting debate. Grant, how much time have you spent with the new Android devices? Im not sure they are at the top of functionality anymore. Ease of use some might say, but others would say its kind of a tie.

They are still behind in many aspects, although the argument can be made that these are not needed. Just as larger screen, 4g and other arguments were made. The use of widgets is one that I still do not understand how some OS's are not embracing it. Its simple, clean and adds so much ease of use its scary. But I suspect Apple will catch up, they always do and can stay a little behind due to their rabid fan base and the idea that they make a great device (which they do). However if you look at the last few releases, they are almost completely about playing catchup rather than implementing any sort of evolution.

I will agree that stablity of Apple products is unreal. But I also think that comes at a little cost of app devolpement, i.e. Widgets. Siri is ok, camera wise I think they are at least on par for now until someone really figures out how to get high quality lens and shutters they are all going to be about the same. The one thing that will hold Apple back is the 1 year or some would say 2 year product cycle. Androids always have something new coming out and Apple doesn't. Does it hurt their bottom line, no. Could it down the road, certainly.

That is an interesting debate. Grant, how much time have you spent with the new Android devices? Im not sure they are at the top of functionality anymore. Ease of use some might say, but others would say its kind of a tie.

They are still behind in many aspects, although the argument can be made that these are not needed. Just as larger screen, 4g and other arguments were made. The use of widgets is one that I still do not understand how some OS's are not embracing it. Its simple, clean and adds so much ease of use its scary. But I suspect Apple will catch up, they always do and can stay a little behind due to their rabid fan base and the idea that they make a great device (which they do). However if you look at the last few releases, they are almost completely about playing catchup rather than implementing any sort of evolution.

Exactly what I was going to post.

this along with ease of use and product stability are the big reasons why Apple continues to have big big market share

The iPhone 5 actually tested faster then the S3 in test Ive seen online so I think processor speed is already up there. Now that Tracy has hers I can test that for myself though.

this along with ease of use and product stability are the big reasons why Apple continues to have big big market share

RIM was the Apple of 2007, Apple needs to keep pushing the envelope to make sure they are not the RIM of 2012

It's all subjective, really. "Top of functionality" is an interesting comment. I guess it goes with what you deem as functional? Having to go in to settings app, then to "general settings" to toggle wifi, bluetooth, etc? Wouldnt that make more sense in the notification center where one swipe down opens all those for you? Or possibly even an onscreen toggle?

It really is all personal preference. There is no win to this debate over who wins over iOS or Android. Everyone has their preference on what they prefer. iOS is "old reliable" now, it's been the same for years with a few tweaks and updates along the road to bring a slightly different user experience. Android has always been the "rough around the edges" OS, mainly because of it's openness and the ability to be fully customized for what the user wants (be it home screen widgets, facebook/twitter integration, clean home page w/ folders/apps, etc).

Im a phone nerd, and have had just about every phone out there, and all have something that a consumer will prefer over another.

They are more stable than Android, no doubt, but I have seen my fair shair that had to be soft reset for one reason or another, but the number of hardresets is much lower than Android. I think where a lot people miss the boat on Android and stablity is they don't hard reset the device after a software update. The number one reason why people don't, they have no good way to back up apps on Android. This is where Android lacks.

But I do agree with JB on catching up with the last few updates. They are a little like Ping and adjustable drivers, lets wait to see if this adjustablity thing takes off and if it does, then we will figure out how to make it work, but we will try and make it the best.

Ease of use...that's another one that gets thrown around a ton. The "ease of use" is because it's the same OS you have been using since it was introduced. It should be "easy" to use now.

It's kind of like when I made the jump from Windows to my Macbook, I made the comment that Windows was so much easier to use. Well, that was because I didnt "know" my Macbook yet, and didnt know all the shortcuts and tip and tricks.

Very true....RIM got fat and lazy on the business side but more importantly they lost the 'cool' factor which is critical for the all important under 30 $$$$ spend.

RIM was the Apple of 2007, Apple needs to keep pushing the envelope to make sure they are not the RIM of 2012

It's all subjective, really. "Top of functionality" is an interesting comment. I guess it goes with what you deem as functional? Having to go in to settings app, then to "general settings" to toggle wifi, bluetooth, etc? Wouldnt that make more sense in the notification center where one swipe down opens all those for you? Or possibly even an onscreen toggle?

It really is all personal preference. There is no win to this debate over who wins over iOS or Android. Everyone has their preference on what they prefer. iOS is "old reliable" now, it's been the same for years with a few tweaks and updates along the road to bring a slightly different user experience. Android has always been the "rough around the edges" OS, mainly because of it's openness and the ability to be fully customized for what the user wants (be it home screen widgets, facebook/twitter integration, clean home page w/ folders/apps, etc).

Im a phone nerd, and have had just about every phone out there, and all have something that a consumer will prefer over another.

I just got Jellybean on my demo Samsung Nexus, it runs so much better and is much more seemless is moving around stuff. For the most part, I agree with all that you say.

Ease of use...that's another one that gets thrown around a ton. The "ease of use" is because it's the same OS you have been using since it was introduced. It should be "easy" to use now.

It's kind of like when I made the jump from Windows to my Macbook, I made the comment that Windows was so much easier to use. Well, that was because I didnt "know" my Macbook yet, and didnt know all the shortcuts and tip and tricks.

I actually agree with War here. Ease of use gets thrown around and I think a few years ago it really had some merit, but I dont see it anymore at all. They are both very easy, but there are usually more extra steps on the iOS. Going into settings, not having a back button and the lack of any ability to have widgets means more steps every time.

Very true....RIM got fat and lazy on the business side but more importantly they lost the 'cool' factor which is critical for the all important under 30 $$$$ spend.

That being said, Apple is close to losing that cool factor too (imo). Once your parents have an iphone, under 30 group (me included) wants something else. Look at FB, FB became much less cool once your parents joined.

RIM thought that only business people would continue to use smartphones. The toy aspect of smartphones in '07 was unheard of. By '09 is was becoming more common, by '11 it was must have. I have been in the industry since early '03 when just having a camera phone was a status thing, I've personally watch the growth and fall of RIM and Motorola, its really sad that two of the giants of industry are all but dead in their old form (actually Motorola is).

That being said, Apple is close to losing that cool factor too (imo). Once your parents have an iphone, under 30 group (me included) wants something else. Look at FB, FB became much less cool once your parents joined.

Unlike RIM though, Apple has something to fall back on if their phone(s) start to lose their "cool" factor, which is computers.

good point..that's why if Apple doesn't go bigger on the phone side I think you'll see a market share shift.....esp if Android continues to get better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back