Differences between Mashie and Mashie Plus Hybrid

tjam

Reaction score
Handicap
Are there any differences between the Mashie Hybrid and Mashie plus hybrid?

I bought a Mashie Hybrid earlier from American Golf (in the UK) thinking it was a Mashie plus. Having looked at the club compared to the website now I realised it is just the original Mashie. However, upon looking at Cleveland's website the features it lists for the Mashie are exactly the same as the Mashie plus. It looks almost like just different graphics, on the Mashie plus clubhead it says "gliderail+" yet on the original Mashie just "gliderail." Under the desciption of the gliderail technology exactly the same is said on Cleveland's website for both clubs.

Is there actually any difference in the 2? Should I be thinking about going back and getting it swapped for the plus, is it worth it? (at an increased cost most likely) or is it just graphic differences?

Thanks!

I think the 2012 version is better for me. The gliderails are a little different and the 2012 version has a keel in the center that I've become a huge fan of. Doesn't seem quite as draw biased either.

Last edited:
Well I have a tendency to fade with hybrids and woods so maybe it has worked out better for me!

Well I have a tendency to fade with hybrids and woods so maybe it has worked out better for me!

A bunch of us who tried the 2011 Mashie had hook problems with it (me included), but Hawk's right, the Mashie+ seems to be a bit more neutral, but otherwise pretty similar. If you are hitting the original well, probably not too much of a reason to switch to the +.

I have both types in my bag. The 2h and 3h are the original version, the 4h is the +. The glide rails are a bit different on the + (2 double rails on the sole, rather than 2 single rails, and the addition of a center keel). They play similar to me, that is to say very well. I feel like the + might work a little better out of really messy lies, but the OG version is quite capable. As for the hook issue, as long as I keep a forward press to the club and strike down on the ball, I can hit all three of them straight, draw or fade, depending on how I set up to the ball. If I were you, I would try out the OG one you have now. If it works well for you, no need to send it back.

the Mashie had way too much offset for me so I was hooking way too much. From what understand the Mashie + would have been much better for me

Hi guys,

First post here from the UK :)

I originally had the Mashie from 2011. Got on with the club great but swapped it up in a local golf course shop for a Titleist 910h after a lot of side by side testing. On the range mats, I was hitting the 910h ever so slightly better and that's where I made my decision from. I'd say it was a mistake getting rid of the Mashie as on the course, the 910h was a bit of a disaster unless I split the fairway (narrow fairways on the courses I play so I find myself in the 2nd cut often). Here is where the mashie stands out for me.

I'm in a position to buy a hybrid again after selling the 910h on eBay and I'm really drawn to the Mashie again. I haven't seen anywhere in the uk shops that are local have the Mashie+ so I could test. Is there a massive difference like the OP said? I'd me looking to get the M2 & M3. If anyone can elaborate on the two differences more it would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi guys,

First post here from the UK :)

I originally had the Mashie from 2011. Got on with the club great but swapped it up in a local golf course shop for a Titleist 910h after a lot of side by side testing. On the range mats, I was hitting the 910h ever so slightly better and that's where I made my decision from. I'd say it was a mistake getting rid of the Mashie as on the course, the 910h was a bit of a disaster unless I split the fairway (narrow fairways on the courses I play so I find myself in the 2nd cut often). Here is where the mashie stands out for me.

I'm in a position to buy a hybrid again after selling the 910h on eBay and I'm really drawn to the Mashie again. I haven't seen anywhere in the uk shops that are local have the Mashie+ so I could test. Is there a massive difference like the OP said? I'd me looking to get the M2 & M3. If anyone can elaborate on the two differences more it would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan

First, welcome to THP!

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the Mashie+ has slightly less offset than the original, and the sole is slightly different (the rails and keel are changed from the original). I've mostly heard that the Mashie+ is an improvement over the original. That said, I just recently got a 2011 one, and I really love it. Range mats do not do it justice, though, gotta hit this thing off the real turf.

Just to add here for those interested in these, I just bought the mashie+ hybos after testing both years. I hooked everything with the original but with the newer ones I'm finding only on overly aggressive swings to have problems left. They look better to my also with less offset. As far as feel, thu are very close but I think the plus wins out on this. Just had something I liked a little more that would be hard to put into words.

I have both the Mashie + 3h, and the regular Mashie 3h.... purchased and played the regular mashie this season, and picked up the + at the end of the year.

Haven't gotten to swing the + yet, but the main thing right off the bat is offset to me, the regular mashie looks much more offset than the +.

Dunno about the differences but the Mashie+ is rock solid for me and long. I am a normal fade player and I hit these dead straight and sometimes a slight pull.
I have played them from the rough,hard pan,bunker and 1 foot deep crap and they all come up solid.

Back