Does your swing match your clubs?

I think my iron shafts fit my swing well. I'm a pretty aggressive swinger, though I don't launch the ball terribly high. I've found that the DGs300 works well for me, and I still get a mid ball flight out of them. I like their weight and feel, but I'd like to find something that still fits me and gives me a bit higher ball flight.

As for my driver, no, I don't think it does. I don't think my shaft (Aldila NV65 stiff) holds up to my swing well and I don't think I'm getting optimal numbers, or even close to them.

Nice thread Freddie, and a very good question.

As I keep learning more about shafts, I start questioning whether or not I have the right tools in the bag. Don't we all at some point though?

My irons, I hit them mid to high when I swing through them solid. I hit a draw most days. My driver, when I swing smooth I don't get the best results, so I swing a little faster and get better contact, but I tend to favour playing a slight fade. Does that make the shafts wrong, or my swing? I'd wager the swing, but it's easier to blame the equipment.

I think mine do. I was fitted for my shafts in both my driver and irons. I have had quite a bit of success with them and I like the way they feel. Does that mean that there aren't other shafts out there that are better for me? No. I will continue to get fitted and try new shafts out as my game progresses.

I know Miyazaki had their flex code on their shafts. How can one find out the flex code for other shafts?

I don't think I have an answer for that question Freddie. I guess you could contact the company. I would also recommend not just finding your flex code in a Miyazaki and then transferring that over into another OEM's shaft and expecting it to work the same. Torques can be different, kick points, etc. The best way to ensure a shaft is right/wrong for a golfer is by getting data. Find that perfect blend of launch/spin.

I see a lot of launch angles on here sub 10* w/ a spin rate sub 2500 rpm's. To me, that's no bueno. I think folks get caught up in having a launch angle that's too low but that's purely my opinion. Carry distance is what everyone should be trying to max out, and if that means using a Regular or Xstiff shaft, then so be it.

Great thread Freddie!

I would say that for the most part yes...since my full set was fit for me last year at the Callaway Performace Center.....However....I have done quit a bit of work on my swing since then and don't come into the ball nearly as steep as I was before.

I just killed the ball with the B Asha 5x on the range in Des Moines.....I mean killed it.

I kill my hybrids...I love the shafts in those.

I am not as sure about my irons....when I flattened my swing plane, I developed a pull hook with the irons...I really have to slow my tempo down to prevent it with the longer irons

I have never been on the shaft optimizer, that's something I would really like to do.

I don't think I have an answer for that question Freddie. I guess you could contact the company. I would also recommend not just finding your flex code in a Miyazaki and then transferring that over into another OEM's shaft and expecting it to work the same. Torques can be different, kick points, etc. The best way to ensure a shaft is right/wrong for a golfer is by getting data. Find that perfect blend of launch/spin.

I see a lot of launch angles on here sub 10* w/ a spin rate sub 2500 rpm's. To me, that's no bueno. I think folks get caught up in having a launch angle that's too low but that's purely my opinion. Carry distance is what everyone should be trying to max out, and if that means using a Regular or Xstiff shaft, then so be it.

No to put you on the spot bro, but you have seen me swing. Do my shafts seem to fit me? This thread got me thinking alot haha

Great thread Freddie. I had this same thought the other day when I hit an i20 with a stock x stiff shaft in it and I hit it well. Ball flight was great and I hit it where I aimed. It really got me thinking. I know I dont have a fast SS but that particular shaft in the x stiff loaded in the right spot.

I think the whole SS vs shaft stiffness is some what messed up. I know you are supposed to play the lowest stiffness that you can control. I personally go for the stiffest shaft that does not give me a ton of distance loss. I get more consistency with stiffer shafts and if my distance is where I want my clubs to be at, that is the shaft for me. If that happens to be a XS so be it.

No to put you on the spot bro, but you have seen me swing. Do my shafts seem to fit me? This thread got me thinking alot haha

Just based on what I saw, I would say so buddy. My only concern with you was that you have everything not only super stiff, but heavy, and I could tell when you got fatigued that maybe they hurt you more than help you. That's the beauty of stuff like the B. Asha shafts dude. You get the flex profile and stability you need but in a much less fatiguing package.

I think the whole SS vs shaft stiffness is some what messed up. I know you are supposed to play the lowest stiffness that you can control. I personally go for the stiffest shaft that does not give me a ton of distance loss. I get more consistency with stiffer shafts and if my distance is where I want my clubs to be at, that is the shaft for me. If that happens to be a XS so be it.

I lean in this direction as well Grant. And while One-T doesn't think he has a quick SS, he has a very aggressive down swing. I think that's why those shafts worked well for him.

Just based on what I saw, I would say so buddy. My only concern with you was that you have everything not only super stiff, but heavy, and I could tell when you got fatigued that maybe they hurt you more than help you. That's the beauty of stuff like the B. Asha shafts dude. You get the flex profile and stability you need but in a much less fatiguing package.

Dude, we share a brain sometimes. That was my thinking too. I love the combos and the ball flight, but I feel like it can take me out of my rhythm at times too because of the weight.

I would say no. Especially not my iron shafts. I'm currently playing Razr x irons with the stock uniflex shafts. It's not a horrible feeling shaft, but I don't buy into the uniflex idea of one size fits all. I have a fairly high ss and pretty aggressive transition at the top. The clubs are high launching to begin with and combined with the uni shaft, I get a very high ball flight, and a miss hit almost always results in very high ballooning slice. Mizuno's shaft optimizer recommended either a kbs tour s or a dg x100. The dg's actually felt a little better to me when i hit them. Numbers were similar with both. Been shopping around the bay a bit looking for some cheap pulls.

I felt the same way One T, my swing speed is just north of 100mph and I thought I'd be hitting the bottom 3 grooves on each swing. But I kept hitting the middle of the face and was actually hitting further than my gamers with a high soft draw.

Cookie I think you're a prime example of someone that loads into the ball. You take away would tell you that but from hip to hip you're as solid as the next guy.

This is why i am considering another set. Just to try some different shafts.

I lean in this direction as well Grant. And while One-T doesn't think he has a quick SS, he has a very aggressive down swing. I think that's why those shafts worked well for him.

I agree. Some of those bombs he hit that I saw, he was really powerful on his downswing.

I have hit SethO's PX 6.5s and didn't lose any distance. I am currently playing the 5.5 Flighted and want to move to some stiffer shafts. I plan on moving to a 6.0 or 6.5 in the spring.

Dude, we share a brain sometimes. That was my thinking too. I love the combos and the ball flight, but I feel like it can take me out of my rhythm at times too because of the weight.

I used to be just like you buddy. Loved everything as heavy as I could stand it, but I've seen the light :)

Actually, being in Fl for the first Outing is what got me. Playing that much golf in that heat, I hit nothing but high, piss weak fades for 9 holes.

My answer is yes for the most part. My irons, when I was fitted for them, were determined that they were the right size for me. They weren't completely player irons (MB's), but they weren't GI Irons. They were leaning more towards the MB's, which we thought was best for how I hit the ball. I can't say the same about my woods/hybrids. My driver was tuned to my swing as well.

I used to be just like you buddy. Loved everything as heavy as I could stand it, but I've seen the light :)

Actually, being in Fl for the first Outing is what got me. Playing that much golf in that heat, I hit nothing but high, piss weak fades for 9 holes.

ODD. Where have I seen that ball flight before hahaha

Maybe you should just wait til you start getting your MC gear One-T.

I'm trying to figure out how to say this, so I'm just going to give it shot.

In a general sense, shaft fitting and all that is important, but there is a point of diminishing return. Finding something that isn't too hard to swing and gives me the ball flight I like is pretty much what I look for.

Outside of that, I'm not really all that interested any more. I tried to find a setup to reduce my driver spin, but nothing worked outside of swinging better. When I don't put a wienie cut on the ball I get good spin and launch with my set up and a few others I've tried. When I do put that bad swing on the ball I've been able to put the same high spin with every shaft I've tried on a launch monitor.

I tried to find a way to lower the launch and spin on my irons a little, but the result was a shaft that felt too stiff and made me swing it harder than I wanted to. I'd rather give up a little spin and launch for a set up that allows me to swing like I want. I haven't been able to find an equipment solution to the little things that could get me a few more yards that I'm comfortable with. Maybe a full fitting could change that, but at this point, I'm fine with where I'm at and tired of searching for it.

For me, it's a compromise. Give me a mid-high ball and a club that I can swing the way I like to find the center of the face. The rest isn't as important at this stage for me.

Probably not. That being said, I suspect they aren't that far off at this point. Just by hit and miss what I've got now works better than what I used to have, and despite it being totally wrong I know my swing has altered to match up with my irons. I don't know that I swing the same enough to really get matched up well.

Freddie I was wondering this myself dude after the Morgan Cup. I had an amazing time off the tee but I was inconsistent with some of the scoring irons and wedge shots (although inconsistent with wedges is grossly understated). I have a shaft in my driver that requires a smooth aggressive swing and thats where I find is my comfort zone. With the PX 5.5 I didn't feel like I could get aggressive. I was letting up and it was disastrous at times. The Nippon Modus 3 shafts in my I20's allow me to get aggressive and thats why I think Im seeing so much success on Par 3's and approach shots coming in (minus the HOTD yesterday lol).

So in a sense I'm getting there dude. Wedges I need something other than spinner shafts because Im finding if I can keep my swing in tempo and aggressive I have a much better time on the course.

I was fit for my R-11's with KBS 90 shafts and feel that they work well for me.
I also game the 710 CB's with the DGS 300's and they have worked well for me in the second half of mens league.
TC had recommended Project X Pxi shafts for the 710's and this over time may be a better shaft if i needed to play several rounds in one day.
So yes for the R-11 Irons and probably not for the 710's.
Great thread Freddie.
This may be a good winter time project for me, finding some PXi shafts and installing them in the 710's.

Back