Dynamic Gold S300's - Why the hate?

I have read a lot of threads before I was a member and was surprised how much people disliked the S300's.

I went from Regular flex in my CG7 irons to S300's in the AP2's I had and now CG7 Tours and can't fault them.

I just find shafts that perform better for me. S300 for me, is a mid launch shaft. That costs me distance. Plus it feels dead to me. KBS & PXi both raise my launch and feel spectacular

I am not sure I see the "hate", but I think it comes back to people finding things that work and feel better for their game. The beautiful thing about this sport right now is consumers have choices. If you like them, that is all that matters.

I can tell you we will have some video results of some iron shaft testing we did on the road and it did not fare all that well, but again, it was based on feel and it was merely subjective thoughts.

Personally, I feel it's a bit outdated and is being left behind even by TT's more modern offerings.

I agree with having the options. 10-15+ years ago the majority of the stock shafts in clubs were the DG S-300 or the regular flex version. The others were a generic custom shaft or whatever Ping had if you bought Ping's. You learned to live with it and shaped your game around it. Only if you wanted to pay an extra $10-15 per club and wait for the custom order could you get much of anything else, but forget about trying them out. Now clubs come with a variety of stock options that include the DGs, but also a few other brands so it makes it easier to pick a choose a bit to build the club around your game rather than the game around the club.

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with them at all. I used them for years. As my game improved I needed something a little stiffer so I ended up with the X-100, basically the same thing only a bit stiffer. I tested out offerings from KBS and PX and preferred the DGs much more than the others. Options are always good for a golfer.

I always liked the Dynamic Gold offering. They are pretty safe. They may not be the most technological, or progessive as others. But they work. They are a pretty good stock shaft offering.

I always liked the Dynamic Gold offering. They are pretty safe. They may not be the most technological, or progessive as others. But they work. They are a pretty good stock shaft offering.

I agree they are pretty safe and stable, but (to me) thats just not good enough with today's technology. Itd be like still playing the Great Big Bertha driver because it was safe. While its okay for some, its hard not to find something that will work better.

I don't mind the S300's and I can hit some low bullets with them but I they don't fit my game. I could never hold the greens with the S300's and don't like the harsh feel. There are just better options out there IMO.

I agree they are pretty safe and stable, but (to me) thats just not good enough with today's technology. Itd be like still playing the Great Big Bertha driver because it was safe. While its okay for some, its hard not to find something that will work better.

Oh I agree. My point is that they are safe and stable and good for a stock shaft offering. There will always be more custom options to fit into heads for the more serious golfers. But for a cheap shaft that will *suffice* most of the golfing population, the DGs are just fine.

Spoiler
*no idea if I used that word right. I'm too lazy on a Friday morning to find out. Yay weekend.*

They are good shafts if they fit your needs. Most of the best players in the world use them. Yes, they are using x100's as well and they are probably a tour version. Lots of options these days for the amateur golfer.

Not crazy about them, but don't hate them. I have them in my wedges. I like the PX offerings and the KBS better.

this is my first go around with the s300's. I recently got a crazy deal on some Mizuno JPX 800's I couldn't pass up, so I traded in my R11's with the KBS reg flex for the JPX 800 Pros (out the door for less than $180).

I went to the range last night, and did notice the ball flight was a little lower than I am used to seeing. I will say that my disbursement was tighter with the Mizuno's, but that was just my initial range session.

I plan to get 18 in this afternoon and see how the perform in real world situations, but so far love the JPX 800 Pro's and haven't had an issue with the s300's

I hated them for a while when I fell in love with KBS Tours. Then I fell outta love with KBS Tours. Went and got fitted and S300 was the best performer for me. Now I love the feel and really love the performance.

I am not sure I see the "hate", but I think it comes back to people finding things that work and feel better for their game. The beautiful thing about this sport right now is consumers have choices. If you like them, that is all that matters.

I can tell you we will have some video results of some iron shaft testing we did on the road and it did not fare all that well, but again, it was based on feel and it was merely subjective thoughts.

JB, maybe I was wrong to say 'hate'. Sorry for that. I do agree that there are a lot more shaft offerings these days,I have tried PX in a Ping Anser head and liked the feel but for me didn't compete with the S300's. Haven't tried the KBS' yet but don't plan to, I guess if you are happy with what you have no need to change and try other stuff?

Does anyone know if there is a major difference in all aspects from S300 to tour issue s300's?

Its not hate for me. TO me they just dont feel smooth with my swing. Therefor its not the shaft for me.

I currently play DGS300s, but I'm certainly looking at other options. I think the DGs are fine, and I like the fell of them in my MPs. But, I am simply amazed by the options currently out there with shafts.

I had so little knowledge of shaft technology before joining THP. I basically knew steel, graphite and different flexes. I never imagined that there could be such a difference in feel and trajectory with different shafts. It's pretty amazing.

I ultimately may stick with the DGs for my MPs. But I really want to see what the numbers look like with KBS. I'm hoping to start working on that this weekend.

I like my X100s. Lower flight, less dispersion, and better feeling than the stock KBS shafts which were in my irons. Get numbers on the shafts and hit what fits you. It's silly to disregard a shaft without trying it.

I love them, every time i've been fit for clubs they are in the top 2 and for me they perform flawlessly. The other shaft that i've been fit for that I like but not enough to change is the PX 6.0, nice shaft but I hit them too high for my liking. Some of the responses are funny and I think a lot of people romanticize equipment a little too much, rather than getting the right gear fit for them.

JB, maybe I was wrong to say 'hate'. Sorry for that. I do agree that there are a lot more shaft offerings these days,I have tried PX in a Ping Anser head and liked the feel but for me didn't compete with the S300's. Haven't tried the KBS' yet but don't plan to, I guess if you are happy with what you have no need to change and try other stuff?

Does anyone know if there is a major difference in all aspects from S300 to tour issue s300's?

As far as I'm aware, the tour issues just have a tighter weight range tolerance than the regular S300s (I can't remember for sure, but it might be +/- 1 gram)

Currently I play DGS300s in my irons and like them fine. I was fitted for these and these gave me the best combination of distance and dispersion of the several shafts I tried that day including KBS offerings. I believe there are smoother feeling shafts out there (the KBS C tapers come to mind) but for my swing, good old DGS300s get the job done.

I hope to try some aerotechs someday though to see if I can get into something lighter that performs as well as my current shafts.

As you know there are so many options for shafts and THP tends to preach 'selection that fits'. I played DG300SLs prior to THP and have found a shaft the performs better for my game.

I don't hate DG but prefer not to play and probably will never play again.

Monkey how do you know s300 are for you if you haven't played all that is available. How do know it ain't broke if nothing else is being compared? How do you know there isn't more out there in another shaft without testing?

Whatever works for you, who cares what "hate" they get?

Its just an older shaft and theres been newer, sexier shafts that perform just as well, if not slightly better. Ive played the S3s in the past and theyre a good shaft.

Monkey how do you know s300 are for you if you haven't played all that is available. How do know it ain't broke if nothing else is being compared? How do you know there isn't more out there in another shaft without testing?

I'm a firm believer that I don't need a monitor to tell me which is a good shaft for me. I'm much more of a visual kind of guy when it comes to assessing my results. I think I have stated I did try the PX in a Ping Anser head that was nice but much prefer the S300.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to be fitted by a professional who knows what he/she is talking about, I'm just more of a "go and try it and see" kind of guy.

I'm a firm believer that I don't need a monitor to tell me which is a good shaft for me. I'm much more of a visual kind of guy when it comes to assessing my results. I think I have stated I did try the PX in a Ping Anser head that was nice but much prefer the S300.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to be fitted by a professional who knows what he/she is talking about, I'm just more of a "go and try it and see" kind of guy.

Yeah. Who needs science and techology.

Back