Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just blew $64 on a round of golf. The greens absolutely sucked, it was like putting in my driveway. It was no fun at all.

Just blew $64 on a round of golf. The greens absolutely sucked, it was like putting in my driveway. It was no fun at all.

Fast or bumpy? Or were they both?

Fast or bumpy? Or were they both?

Both. Not a single putt would hold on its line, and if you literally TAPPED it, it'd fly right over the green. It got to the point where I started giving myself "Gimme 2 putts"... there was not a square inch of grass on any of the greens. All sand.

Which also meant that nothing stuck. A full 60* wedge shot from 65 yds out with a Tour ix that hit in the middle of the green, and went flying 10 yds over. It sucked.

Both. Not a single putt would hold on its line, and if you literally TAPPED it, it'd fly right over the green. It got to the point where I started giving myself "Gimme 2 putts"... there was not a square inch of grass on any of the greens. All sand.

Which also meant that nothing stuck. A full 60* wedge shot from 65 yds out with a Tour ix that hit in the middle of the green, and went flying 10 yds over. It sucked.

Yikes! Sounds like the local muni. Fast greens and slow play. :D

When they sand the greens at my course, it actually slows them down.

It usually slows them down here...when there is actually sand combined with GRASS. There was no grass...about 75% sand. It was like putting on a bumpy hardwood floor.

Mine too, we played a round earlier this year and they started us on the back nine because they were sanding the front. When we made the turn it was like playing a totally different course. You had to hammer the ball on every putt.

I actually dont mind it normally. I can really go pin hunting on days like that. But that is FL, the golf season is nearing completion for many courses so they are into protecting the greens now.

It is sometimes interesting to get up at a different hour of the day. How do you know what you are missing on television if you never check it out at 3am. Just a thought

Welcome to THP Danc845!

But that's what DVR's are for! hehe

So future Mrs Gasmans mom had her knee replaced today and she is coming to live with us for a month and a half on Sunday. Im going to have to hit up some twilight rounds everynight.

What MO said!

So future Mrs Gasmans mom had her knee replaced today and she is coming to live with us for a month and a half on Sunday. Im going to have to hit up some twilight rounds everynight.

My stepmother had that done after a career in tennis. She has had SOOOO many knee surgeries. She had James Andrews do it.

My stepmother had that done after a career in tennis. She has had SOOOO many knee surgeries. She had James Andrews do it.

This is the second one, she had the other one done last year and stayed with us for that. She used to be a professional dancer and is the nicest lady in the world. Im just not looking forward to it. She had Spiderman senses last time and could smell me smoking a cigar in the garage.

Just remember--the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Tonight was the school talent(less) show. Fundraiser for a light & sound system, and the need for it was in full evidence. Two and a half hours, and we had to pay for the privilege. There were 40 acts, and Boo Girl was number 38. This is what I get for being the mom who never volunteers for anything.

Just remember--the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Tonight was the school talent(less) show. Fundraiser for a light & sound system, and the need for it was in full evidence. Two and a half hours, and we had to pay for the privilege. There were 40 acts, and Boo Girl was number 38. This is what I get for being the mom who never volunteers for anything.

What was Boo's talent?

What was Boo's talent?

She and a friend sang over a recording of "Leave it All to Me." (Theme song from iCarly for those of you who aren't into tween television.)

I have a personal email account that feeds into Outlook, both at home and at work. My ISP is in the process of migrating it, and when I loaded the new account into Outlook here at work, I suddenly have two separate sets of mail boxes--one for the work accounts and one for the personal account. This will make me nuts.

It's still raining. I need an ark.

I'm ranting to myself here.

Another Thursday afternoon came and went without a call from Will Shortz. :call-me:

Some People . . .

Some People . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4247723

Make $100 the sleazy way
By Rick Reilly
ESPN The Magazine

Are you a male who'd like to make $100 the sleazy way? Then I have a deal for you, but you have to act by June 25, 2009.

Of course, you'll have to cash in your basic moral decency to do it and incur the wrath of every woman in your life -- including your mom -- and feel worse about yourself than Sanjaya's barber. But we're talking $100!

Here's how to do it, but I wouldn't let the wife read this:

It so happens that on May 8, 2004, the Oakland A's had a Mother's Day promotion. There was a fight-breast-cancer 5K run before the game, free mammograms and the first 7,500 women through the gate got floppy plaid sun hats from Macy's. Nice day for the ladies.

Except that last part really hacked off a man named Alfred G. Rava. He was incensed that men weren't getting a floppy plaid sun hat for Mother's Day. He was so mad about it that he sued.

It gets worse. He has nearly won. A judge has given preliminary approval to a $510,000 settlement -- roughly half to lawyers and the rest to the "victims" -- the poor, downtrodden gender-disadvantaged waifs like Rava who didn't get their floppy Mother's Day hats. This is where you come in.

If you can prove you were one of the first 7,500 people there that day, you get $50 in cash, two-for-one A's tickets and a $25 Macy's coupon. It won't be hard. All you have to do is (A) state under oath that you are a male, (B) show some kind of receipt for your ticket and (C) swear you were there early. That's good enough. There's no video, and nobody's going to spend $5,000 deposing you over $100.

So how many guys have lined up to get their rightful floppy-hat-equivalent payment that was stolen from them by those selfish Mother's Day-manipulating women? "Well, I haven't taken a single call so far," said the 1-888 operator at the firm handling claims. "And I'm here just about every day."

A's fans are not just ignoring Rava in droves; they're pissed. "The entire settlement should be donated to the Breast Care Center at UCSF," says A's fan Ben Huber. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Isn't it good to know that most American males still have a spine? Save for (cough, cough) one.

Turns out Rava is a lawyer. In fact, this is not his first men-inism lawsuit. He's been part of more than 40 male anti-discrimination lawsuits, sometimes as the plaintiff, like in Oakland, and sometimes as the plaintiff's lawyer. He has sued Club Med over a ladies-only promotion. He's sued the Angels for giving away a $1.45 tote bag to women in 2005. He has sued restaurants and nightclubs and theater companies. Mr. Rava gets incensed a lot.

Oh, and he doesn't even work in Oakland. He works in San Diego. Gee, I wonder what a sue-happy lawyer from San Diego would be doing at an A's-Twins game the very day that they were holding a women-only giveaway? I called and asked.

But Rava wouldn't say.

"Season-ticket holder?" I asked.

Rava wouldn't say.

"You went to a game on Mother's Day, to a game that was promoting breast cancer awareness, and you felt victimized by not getting a floppy plaid sun hat?"

Rava insisted it was a fishing hat.

And he thinks the fact he didn't get one is offensive. Not just to him, he says, but to the state of California, "which has a very strong policy against discriminating on the basis of sex."

"Dude!"

"Look," Rava says, "if ESPN were giving away free autographed Nolan Ryan baseballs to men only on Father's Day, would that be fair?"

"These weren't autographed baseballs. They were women's sun hats. Plaid, floppy sun hats."

Rava: "Fishing hats."

I'm surprised he didn't want his free mammogram, too.

Personally, I find Mr. Rava as odorous as a bag of dyspeptic hamsters. He's a greasy manipulator who has found a small leak in American law and stuck an open wallet under it. When they wrote California's Unruh Civil Rights Act in 1959 -- the act Rava sues with -- they never thought soulless creatures like him would someday slink about the earth.

We are not a collection of legal briefs, appellate rulings and city ordinances. We are people. We are grandfathers and sisters and uncles and girlfriends, all woven into the fabric of this wonderful thing called sports. And if once in a while we want to do something nice for each other -- and not want anything for ourselves -- is that so wrong?

What are you going to do, sue?

Yes, Al Rava is going to sue and keep suing. What's next, Mr. Rava? Kids' Helmet Night? (Age discrimination!) Wheelchairs along the rail with a view? (Health discrimination!) Mullets Get in Free Day? (Clean-hair statutes!) Lawyers like Rava suck the fun out of everything.

What's amazing is that Rava's own mother died of breast cancer at age 53. How would she feel about his crass-action lawsuit?

"I am sure my mom would be proud of my lawsuit against this major league baseball franchise that denied male and female consumers under 18 years of age free fishing hats based on sex and age," he says.

Sun hats, tool.

Lawyers like Rava suck the fun out of everything.

That right there sums it all up. I want to know when the judicial system will "grow a set" and tell this POS to pack his breif case and get out of the court room. There are more important things that need to go infront of a judge than a man upset because he didn't get his WOMEN'S floppy hat. He's probably not even an A's fan and I'm sure that it has the A's logo on it. Mr. Rava there's the Mexican border. Feel free to cross it and not come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back