BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
I'm not the original author nor can I recall who wrote this,but it is a very good read

Driver shaft lengths are way way too long - there I’ve said it. It’s a comment that is unlikely to win me many friends among the OEMs but over the last few years driver shafts have become so long that they have begun to work against the guy swinging the club. Despite all the technology the we now see in driver heads - and more recently in the shafts - the madness seems to have gotten so far that we have passed a tipping point and we’ve started to lose the benefits that all these technological breakthroughs brought us.

With all these amazing advances we’ve probably forgotten that even just a few year ago the driver was the hardest club in the bag to hit. For most golfers the driver was a low lofted nightmare of a club that rarely made an appearance on the course. Players like Greg Norman were rightly seen as gods for the fearless way they smashed the ball off the tee even down the tightest fairways.

It was the introduction of steel headed drivers by the likes of Gary Adams and Ely Callaway that suddenly made the driver not only longer but far more forgiving. Suddenly bringing out the Big Dog was a real option rather than a statement of machismo. When graphite shafts were added to the mix suddenly the driver become practically the safest club in the bag and certainly consistently the longest.

Before graphite shafts started to replace steel ones, the average length of a driver was 43.5 inches. With the new graphite shafts being lighter than steel the manufacturers took the chance to lengthen the shaft without increasing the swing-weight.

The very reason the driver is in the bag is that we want to hit the ball a long way. We are forever talking about getting that extra 20-30 yards from a new driver because that is what we are all looking for and the manufacturers know it. The driver lengths quickly moved from 43.5" to 45" and a quick glance at current lengths sees that they have grown to as high as 46.25". So what’s the reason behind this relentless increase in shaft length. Well it’s pretty simple and it’s all to to with two things: robotic club testing and the way we demo drivers.

Glancing at the adverts for the current crop of drivers, almost everyone emphasizes how far you can how them - ‘Maximize Distance’, ‘Optimize distance’, ‘Take it Deep’ are just some of the straplines you’ll find. Even with the recent emphasis on adjustibility, there is still an overwhelming emphasis on distance. The one thing above all else that a driver manufacturer wants to be able to say about their driver is that it is longer than their previous generation and longer than their current rivals. Ideally they want to be able to say that it is the longest driver going. They take a robotic swing device like ‘Iron Byron’ as a using a bunch of golfers (even good ones) would be far too inconsistent. With the hotness of the face limited by R&A and USGA restrictions, how else can the manufacturers increase distance with a robot swinging the club at the same speed apart from lengthen the shafts.

The other part of the problem is when we test drivers (that is if we ever do test them rather than being persuaded by the advertising!) we almost exclusively do it at the driving range. On a 300 yard wide driving range it’s almost impossible to care whether the ball goes in a straight line. It’s natural enough for everyone to focus on length. Who cares if half the balls we hit would have ended up OB if we were on the course we say, did you not see how far I was hitting this beast past my old thing! The longer and lighter shafts play to our desire to hit the ball longer rather than to play the game better as we sacrifice accuracy for distance. And when a driver with a shaft that is an extra inch longer hits the ball approximately 8 yards further, it isn’t hard to guess which one is going to be sold.

Unfortunately this means that the driver has become an unruly beast. We can now hit it further than at any time but we stand less chance of keeping it on the short stuff, despite all the MOI, head geometry, COG placement, multi-material construction and shaft design that requires a PhD to understand.

It doesn’t appear to be only me either as a number of golf professionals I’ve spoken to agree with me and have talked about the difficulty of selling drivers with 46" and longer shafts that they know are going to be almost uncontrollable for the average golfer. And it’s not like you have to have long driver to hit it a long way. The average driver length on Tour is about 44.5" to 45". Sergio Garcia and Camilo Villegas both use 44" drivers and given how much Anthony Kim grips down his 45" driver plays around 42.5" and none of them are exactly short hitters. Even the world number one has struggled with his fairways hit average since moving to a longer shafted driver even though he is still an artist with a 3 wood.

OEM’s have done an amazing job with new drivers. They are streets ahead of clubs from even just a few years ago and the shafts now available are light-years ahead of the old steel shafts, it’s just this triumph of marketing over usability helps no one. Unless you are hitting the ball less than 200 yards you really don’t need a 46" driver. Every golfer I know that has shortened their drivers down to 44" to 45" have seen their fairways hit stats up with no drop off in distance from more consistantly hitting the sweetspot. So if you have the opportunity, try a ‘cut down’ driver and see how you get on, you might make friends with your driver again.

That's actually an intriguing article. I've often wondered if I choked down on the grip a couple inches if I'd have more luck controlling my driver. I may test that theory this week/weekend if I get a chance to stop at the range.

That's actually an intriguing article. I've often wondered if I choked down on the grip a couple inches if I'd have more luck controlling my driver. I may test that theory this week/weekend if I get a chance to stop at the range.

I don't like the idea of choking down,cause the grip will feel drastically different.If you don't mind ruining a grip,cut a hole on the butt end and slide the grip farther down the shaft.This way the grip will be normal.The extra part of shaft sticking through end of grip will not affect anything

There was write up some time ago about drivers, and distance. A company was introducing a new line of drivers, and decided to do a market study first. They invited a couple hundred golfers, over a period of time, of various handicap ranges. Prior to letting these groups hit their clubs, they were asked that if they had their choice would they want a driver with less distance, but superior accuracy, or a club with superior distance with less accuracy. 90% of the testers said less distance with more accuracy would be their club of choice. The clubs tested were similar is appearance, but different in construction...one for more distance, but a lot less accurate, and one for less distance, but with greater accuracy. At the end of the testing, each tester was given the choice of keeping one the two clubs they tested. Which driver was the most selected by the testers to take home? The less accurate, but more distance driver was the over whelming choice of the club testers.

Go figure..........:confused2:

I'll be the first to admit, I love it when I actually hit one "on the screws" and it get out there about 260+. But I'd be a lot happier overall if I was hitting the ball 240 and more consistantly accurate than I do now.

I'm seriously considering this. I've got a Cally I-Mix and the added hardware makes the club a bit heavier than what I'm used to. I'm considering cutting my shafts down 1/2 to 1" to lower club weight and increase accuracy. But I would need to feel confident I would increase accuracy by a noticeable margin, and I'm not convinced that will happen.

I'm not the original author nor can I recall who wrote this,but it is a very good read.............

Sounds like something that Tom Wishon would write...

I hit the ball farther than you average bear, and I have two drivers. One for superball tournaments 46-1/4" and one for my everyday rounds of golf - 44-3/8."

I will tell you this....In my testing once I get the head weight right 44-3/8" on average I only lose 4 yards. On best hits yeah I lose quite a bit more I think it was something like 18 yards. I also hit many more treelines(I do not keep a fairway average). I average 1.1 per round in the trees with the driver at 44-3/8", with the 46-1/4" I averaged 3.5 per round in the trees.

My scoring was average 74.2 with the 44-3/8" and 76.5 with the 46-1/4". I made more eagles with the longer driver and more doubles. I had more birdies with the shorter driver.

For me it was a no-brainer. I am in the process of looking for an even better fairway finder. With the STR8, FT-9 Tour, and R9 460 in the finals. The R9 460 had been kicked out but a shaft replacement brought it back in. I am thinking that the STR8 will be the best, followed by the FT-9 Tour and then the R9 460.

The only thing stopping me from jumping wholeheartedly on the STR8 is the sound, it sounds like a cross between an aluminum baseball bat and someone hitting a rigid copper pipe with a wrench, LOL.

In Wishon's book "the search for the perfect golf club" he emphasizes this fact but then later when talking about how senior's might get more distance contradicts it. I've found the perfect length for me is 45-3/4". I'm 6' 0" but have stubby arms so that could be the reason. In any case I have no problem with that length. I've tried to go longer and it was a disaster. Going shorter doesn't give me any more control so I just go this length. I think some flatbellies with humungous swing speeds might gain some control with no distance loss by using a shorter driver though. I swing in the mid-90's mph and carry 230-240 (GPS measured) average which I guess isn't too bad for an old 62 year old duffer.

And everyone gives the steel headed driver manufacturer's the credit for the current large sizes and forgiveness when in fact it was Yonex who made the all graphite head 250cc ADX series that rocked the boat. I had two and those were some fantastic drivers in their day.

I went 3/4" short in the driver I got for Christmas, and 1/2" short in the three other woods that came with it.

Somebody told me--here maybe--that if you shorten the shaft on an existing driver, you increase the swing weight?? That sounds like reverse Archimedes to me.

I am 6'4" and have my drivers cut down to 44.75"...and sometimes even choke down from there. My 15* driver/3-wood replacement is cut to 41.25" and I choke down a little from there. I hit the ball about 270-275 right now with driver and 240-250 with the 15* at 73% of fairways for the year. I am a big believer in shorter shaft for cleaner contact witht he sweet spot for increased distance and accuracy.

Somebody told me--here maybe--that if you shorten the shaft on an existing driver, you increase the swing weight?? That sounds like reverse Archimedes to me.

You decrease the swing weight. Three points for every 1/2" IIRC.

And increase stiffness, if you're cutting down a shaft, I believe

You decrease the swing weight. Three points for every 1/2" IIRC.

And increase stiffness, if you're cutting down a shaft, I believe

Shortening a Driver ,you will loose swingweight and the shaft will stiffen up a touch. Now,Most will add weight to the head to bring swingweight up to a usable feel which counteracts the shaft stiffening up

I cut down one of my old drivers (King Cobra 454), from 45 to 44 inches. It felt too light so I added some lead tape. The tape brought it back to as close as possible to what the club weighed before the cut down. It was a substantial increase in accuracy. I am 6'2 inches tall however the lost of one inch did not bother me. It was really cool to see more fairways. I have my club championship this weekend. Now I am wondering if I should cut my new Cobra S9 down to 44 inches? Of course I would have to balance out the weight again on it. Thanks -- Bill

With mine cut to 43.75"...I have not adjusted the swing weights, so when anyone else grabs my driver they can not hit it since the weight is about a C2. It ususally takes me about 2 range sessions to get used to it with each driver...it feel like I am just swinging air with the driver, but it is what I like and what I have gotten used to over hte last couple of years.

You can have the driver custom made for you but you will have to place a special order to the manufacturer. They only add the length so they can claim the longest driver when hit with a robot. This length does not translate to the average golfer especially on a consistent basis. The manufacturers will have heads weighted for shorter length drivers like the majority of tour pros use. You just have to be willing to wait for them to special make it.

I believe this is the better option than cutting it down and having to play with swing weight. Get a fitting and order the right shaft length and weight for you. If more of us would do that maybe they would quite making these long drivers.

I like that swingweight, it forces me to slow things down and not get too quick on the transition, forcing me to stay behind the ball. I have added additional weight and just do not like it. All of my hybrids are heavier then my driver, I think (i know for sure the 5dx is heavier). As with everything in golf...it is all personal preference.

WWPSD,

My comment was not directed at you and if you like that SW that's great. Mine was just a general comment on the golf industry.

Too much marketing and not enough truth. This driver will hit it 300 yds when hit by a robot. Truth is most average golfers may hit it 300 yds once out of 100 with 100 yds of that being in the woods. I will always give up yardage for accuracy. I use a 3 wood a lot for that reason.

WWPSD,

My comment was not directed at you and if you like that SW that's great. Mine was just a general comment on the golf industry.

Too much marketing and not enough truth. This driver will hit it 300 yds when hit by a robot. Truth is most average golfers may hit it 300 yds once out of 100 with 100 yds of that being in the woods. I will always give up yardage for accuracy. I use a 3 wood a lot for that reason.

I absolutely agree with you. Too many people buy clubs becuase of what advertising tells them it will do, when it might not be the right choice for them specifically. Or becuase a specific tour player uses a certain club, when their clubs are majorly altered and far from shelf-products. I just learned over time and with many fitting sessions what bag-setup I like the best for my game, who care if other like it not honestly. Not enough golfers play proper clubs IMO.

Back