The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's definitely a great idea. I was contributing 12% to my 401k until my wife lost her job. Now I am not putting anything in. Hopefully I can get back to at least half of that.

I hope so too man. That sucks that she is not working right now.

Amanda and I have talked AT LENGTH about this for when she gets done with residency. We're just scraping by now, but not left wanting, but we both know we need a plan for when she gets done. Hopefully she works out a contract with the local hospital this next year ahead of time so student loans are no longer a concern as well. I hate being "behind" in my planning, but its what we have to work with right now.

You are in a different situation thought. Your wife is about to turn the corner from a student side to career side. That will help out a ton.

I hope so too man. That sucks that she is not working right now.

November 5th is going to be one of the happiest days of my life. I have been struggling big time but dont let that on to her as much as possible. I walk around with maybe $75 of spending money every 2 weeks (not including gas) so it has been taxing but the one thing I can say is that through it all, we have not had a single argument over money.

You are in a different situation thought. Your wife is about to turn the corner from a student side to career side. That will help out a ton.

Yep, I still hate feeling like I'm behind on it all though. When she's done I'll be 10 years into education so I'll be fully vested in Oklahoma at least, from there who knows. The best thing I did do by listening to my elders year one was start a teachers 403b and put as much as I can manage into it each month, it'll be nice to have that someday.

man...all this future planning talk is fun. My wife and I decided 2 years ago it was time to plan for the future. Since doing so, we have put back a lot of money as well as put a lot into our 401K's. This past year has slowed that down quite a bit due to having a kid and having far more unplanned expenses. But...we have made a move in the right direction. We also knocked out A LOT of our debt.

Jman, I feel your pain, kind of. We've been living off what I make for 5 years now. Erin will be done with her MPA in December of 2013, so the finish line is kind of in sight. I believe she'll find a good job with good benefits, as her focus is in Town/City planning. One day, one day, I will be in a position to plan for the future. I'm not sure I'll know how to handle that.

man...all this future planning talk is fun. My wife and I decided 2 years ago it was time to plan for the future. Since doing so, we have put back a lot of money as well as put a lot into our 401K's. This past year has slowed that down quite a bit due to having a kid and having far more unplanned expenses. But...we have made a move in the right direction. We also knocked out A LOT of our debt.

And THAT is awesome dude. I long for that more than anything, I hate having to have and rely on so many loans even thought i know its a necessity. Hell, my wife's student loans are almost 1 1/2 times that of our house. Freaks me the hell out.

Yep, I still hate feeling like I'm behind on it all though. When she's done I'll be 10 years into education so I'll be fully vested in Oklahoma at least, from there who knows. The best thing I did do by listening to my elders year one was start a teachers 403b and put as much as I can manage into it each month, it'll be nice to have that someday.

Yeah. I did the same my second year of teaching. I think it will help out in the future. Once she starts making the big bucks you can ride coat tails and play golf everyday. Right! HAHA

As soon as I am debt free, I am going to put 15% into savings avenues. I will be 30 next year when I am out of debt and I figure that I will have to do 15% instead of 10% to make up for the time I lost in my 20's.

I am fortunate cause I have very little debt. Any credit card I have is paid off and I don't owe anyone else anything. I need to really concentrate on my future plan, that is a little weak.

Jman, I feel your pain, kind of. We've been living off what I make for 5 years now. Erin will be done with her MPA in December of 2013, so the finish line is kind of in sight. I believe she'll find a good job with good benefits, as her focus is in Town/City planning. One day, one day, I will be in a position to plan for the future. I'm not sure I'll know how to handle that.

Dude, I understand that completely. Its why I've made myself take a conscientious approach to talk about it and at least think about what we can/will do. I know a LOT can/will happen between now and then, like little rugrats, but I'm still trying to make myself think about it.

dude, I know you cant wait til that day!
And THAT is awesome dude. I long for that more than anything, I hate having to have and rely on so many loans even thought i know its a necessity. Hell, my wife's student loans are almost 1 1/2 times that of our house. Freaks me the hell out.
but, its student loans. Yes it is debt. but its not debt that should be stressed over. Knock out the other debts first.

Yeah. I did the same my second year of teaching. I think it will help out in the future. Once she starts making the big bucks you can ride coat tails and play golf everyday. Right! HAHA

Golf and braiding hair/doing laundry all day! LOL!

Dude, I understand that completely. Its why I've made myself take a conscientious approach to talk about it and at least think about what we can/will do. I know a LOT can/will happen between now and then, like little rugrats, but I'm still trying to make myself think about it.

Just another one of those weird things we have/had in common. So weird.

It's unreal how we scrape by. We're blessed. But one day it will be fun to be able to do/buy whatever I want. What I would really like to do is to keep living the way that we have and put one of our salaries completely away. But I don't see her doing that. She's a spender.

but, its student loans. Yes it is debt. but its not debt that should be stressed over. Knock out the other debts first.

My problem though was I got on and looked at the calculator for payments of that massive lump of student loans. Nightmares for a week.

I am fortunate that my 5 years in a low income school got almost 20k of mine forgiven so mine will be all paid off by the time hers roll around to being due.

I just hate looking at big numbers dude, I really do. Scary.

It's unreal how we scrape by. We're blessed. But one day it will be fun to be able to do/buy whatever I want. What I would really like to do is to keep living the way that we have and put one of our salaries completely away. But I don't see her doing that. She's a spender.
the more you make the more you spend!
My problem though was I got on and looked at the calculator for payments of that massive lump of student loans. Nightmares for a week.

I am fortunate that my 5 years in a low income school got almost 20k of mine forgiven so mine will be all paid off by the time hers roll around to being due.

I just hate looking at big numbers dude, I really do. Scary.
well, I have a good friend who is/was very money smart. Debt free, etc. I have had MANY conversations with him about getting rid of debt. and student loans always come in last place! ALWAYS! minimum payment....then when ALL other debt is gone...you focus on the student loan debt.

Isn't it the truth? Haha

I'm 100% identical on this. After I lost/gave-up my coaching that was almost a 10k hit and things got crazy tight, SCARY tight as a matter of fact and that didn't help with my depression. It was rough and we had to lean on methods I would have rather not, but we got by and got her into residency and its slowly getting better. Looking down the road was always what kept us grinding.

What a kick ass string of banter we are having today. I like it!

One thing I really want to do is start double paying on my house. I think I could knock my mortgage really quick. We were about there, but had a kid. That put a damper on it and another one probably won't help out much either. Maybe I will just work on the car payments more.

One thing I really want to do is start double paying on my house. I think I could knock my mortgage really quick. We were about there, but had a kid. That put a damper on it and another one probably won't help out much either. Maybe I will just work on the car payments more.
one extra payment a year knocks almost 10 years off a 30 year mortgage. Notice I said almost..haha

Hell, grinding is good for you I reckon. I'm a firm believer in "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Good for you guys man. Money issues are by far the biggest stresses for me. I've had many sleepless nights dude, but in the end, I have a healthy family that I love more than anything.

I look forward to being in a position where we can plan for our futures. I think it will be refreshing.

one extra payment a year knocks almost 10 years off a 30 year mortgage. Notice I said almost..haha

Yeah. I could do that easily.

One of my biggest struggles with budgeting is I like nice crap. Yeah I find killer deals on everything I buy, but I still want to live good. You only live this life once and you want to enjoy it. I know I want to enjoy the future too, but I like enjoying now.

Yeah. I could do that easily.

One of my biggest struggles with budgeting is I like nice crap. Yeah I find killer deals on everything I buy, but I still want to live good. You only live this life once and you want to enjoy it. I know I want to enjoy the future too, but I like enjoying now.
I couldnt agree with this more man!! I like the nicer things. One day I will be old and wont care about this stuff so I might as well have fun now.

Hell, grinding is good for you I reckon. I'm a firm believer in "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Good for you guys man. Money issues are by far the biggest stresses for me. I've had many sleepless nights dude, but in the end, I have a healthy family that I love more than anything.

I look forward to being in a position where we can plan for our futures. I think it will be refreshing.

I agree, I think it was nothing but goof for the Doc and I to have to grind and scrape like that. Its made us stronger and even closer than I thought possible. It sucks, but I know that no matter what I've got her and we are both healthy and will genuinely have a bright future...not alot of people nowadays can say that. I was raised that you have to earn it though, and I certainly think we are doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back