The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ask Nerfny, I am that person that goes way overboard for the holidays. But we have talked this year, knowing that next year is going to be expensive with all that is/might go on, about cutting way back. I am one who tries to keep all and any debts low or non-existent. I'm lucky, I don't have any student loans, we don't own a house, and I have just under 2,000 grand left on my SUV. I'd love to just throw the money at it and pay it off right now, but I'm not sure if it makes 100% sense to do that.

My wife and I used to blow a lot of money on each other before we had a kid. We now have move that money to his stuff. We get small presents for each other and enjoy his excitement more.

I think there's a healthy balance between these two. You can't be so worried about the future to the point where you're afraid to leave the house and live but yet if you ignore the future you won't have the one you want or think that you deserved when the time comes

I can accept that thinking!!!

One-T... 72K is still "young" for that truck if you take are of it as you are supposed to.

All this "yolo" stuff comes into play here, despite how stupid I think that catchy crap is.. If I am going to play my best golf at 25-35, why not spend the money on it at that time rather than waiting for retirement? In my books, if it's not jeopardizing the future, I think it's worth it to a certain extent. The last thing I want to do is look back at my life and feel like I missed out when I didn't have to.

I dont necessarily disagree. At the same time, you could say think about even a 5% return on the money spent yearly for the next 30 years and then say which one would be better for you. Im not cutting out golf, nor would I say someone should. But the idea that one cannot plan for the future "yet" is not real to me. Other factors come into play of course.

For instance lets say you are on a government program and getting paid under the table or in "alternative" ways. It would be very hard to then have a large savings account or a fund for the future.

call the bank and see how much interest will be paid on that 2k if you dont pay it off and make normal payments. If that number isnt significant than I say keep doing what your doing.

it wouldnt be $500. but damn close. I dont think I will do it.

My personal opinion is I would wait till you get around 95K. Since you have a Ford now, the price really takes a beating at 100K. That would get you about a two years on it and then the 12' would be cheaper then.

I dont necessarily disagree. At the same time, you could say think about even a 5% return on the money spent yearly for the next 30 years and then say which one would be better for you. Im not cutting out golf, nor would I say someone should. But the idea that one cannot plan for the future "yet" is not real to me. Other factors come into play of course.

For instance lets say you are on a government program and getting paid under the table or in "alternative" ways. It would be very hard to then have a large savings account or a fund for the future.

I think your logic is perfectly fine here buddy. Everyone could stand to save a bit and put that money into their future. I would never contest that at all, I merely think that slips, in moderation, are part of what make life worth living.. If people could just learn to limit that, I think this country (and the one north of us) would be much, MUCH better off.

30 MPH winds...stupid cold front. Now debating whether or not to play today. Its fall break, I have to....right?

30 MPH winds...stupid cold front. Now debating whether or not to play today. Its fall break, I have to....right?

Go out and play for those of us that dont have fall break. Hit em straight fella.

Go out and play for those of us that dont have fall break. Hit em straight fella.

See, this is what I wanted. I must go play now. Plus, the course will be EMPTY! It would be the day I pulled the 3i out of the bag though, dummy.

Hey if you are on fall break you could of flown out here... not much wind, not a cloud in the sky... just like IOWA!! :D

No dude just put that money towards your 401k

I'm not gonna lie. This made me laugh. Thank God its just me in my classroom alone and wishing PARENTS were actually coming to PARENT/Teacher conferences.

Just called Golftec, finally taking the plunge, time to get serious about my game!

I am going to do retirement planning next year. Whatever it takes to get me there, I am going to put it there. The rest of the money is mine to go HAM with and I will still retire with enough money to be comfortable (if I ever decide to truly retire).

Just called Golftec, finally taking the plunge, time to get serious about my game!

Good for you. I'm going to have a bi-weekly lesson myself this offseason. No reason to stop working on it just because the weather sucks!

apparently I'm getting a C in computer apps because i'm able to complete every assignment in the first day (always have 2 or 3 days to complete assignments) so i've been on the internet doing stoof. i do all of the extra credit i can before i get online, but seriously what am i supposed to do for 1.5 hours each day? just sit there staring at the ceiling? if i have every single assignment done and havnt gotten lower than an 85% on any assignment, how is it that i have a C? total BS. talkin' to her after class....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back