Used golf balls vs. Brand new golf balls

Well, I have have a bucket of 50 AAAAA Pro-V1x's that should arrive today along with 2 dozen AAAA quality of the same ball for a buddy, bought from lostgolfballs. This is my first purchase of used golfballs, but I have a stash of used Pro-V1 392's that one of the groundskeepers at my home course gave me. I have used these beaten and battered balls quite often, and have no problem keeping up with my friends with their factory fresh golfballs. My home course has no water hazards. On the other hand, I think the water-balls thing is all in the mind. These things are hard resin plastic. Sitting in water for a month or two won't change the chemical composition and I doubt it would cause any erosion of the cover. I mean look at all the plastic trash in the ocean...it doesn't desolve even in salt water, right?

But it will add weight and cause the ball to swell- both of which can change performance characteristics of the ball. Just because the chemical structure doesnt change does not mean the ball is the same as it was before.

I took delivery of a dozen Bridgestone B330-RX lakeballs today, all are AAAA quality. For the price I couldn't not buy them. Will be using one for my next round to see how they work out (after being fitted with them online)

I took delivery of a dozen Bridgestone B330-RX lakeballs today, all are AAAA quality. For the price I couldn't not buy them. Will be using one for my next round to see how they work out (after being fitted with them online)

makes sense to do that for sure if its your first time playing the ball

bought a dozen refurbed bridgestone b330-rx balls!! never again!! they looked like crap after one hole!!

makes sense to do that for sure if its your first time playing the ball

exactly, if they are the ball for me then I will spend the extra £ on new ones, especially if they turn out the same as Matty's did

bought a dozen refurbed bridgestone b330-rx balls!! never again!! they looked like crap after one hole!!

Buy the recycled not the refinished ones. Refinished ones just get painted over, recycled still has its original cover, its gets washed really good but not painted over.

All I play is used Pro V's.

I buy used Penta 3's and cannot tell a difference, I buy from a guy along side the road on the way to the golf course. The used balls are taken from the lakes every 3-7 days at a maximum at all the courses I play.

After reading this my biggest question is does anyone have any idea on how long a ball is in the water before it starts to deteriorate as far as performance goes?

It's to much back and forth, does It affect you by 5 yards? Is it the same? What I do is load up in the winter, on that seasons pervious models before the new ones come out and you get them for half the price. The Pentas are already going on sale, and when there new ball comes out they will be cheaper same with the Pro V's. And i know they are still brand new balls and they will be 100% efficient, even though there last seasons model they will be great for what i need.

I retrieve golf balls from a couple of lakes on golf courses in my local area ( with permission from the manager) I play the balls I get and supply to a few of the guys I play with.

No one I've supplied to has ever noticed any difference to new balls.

I can't believe the price of new golf balls. I will always play used not that I'm an expert.

Any type of transaction takes place in our market place. You will need to list the types of balls, rate them, provide photos and list a price per ball. Once approved by THP your thread will be presented to the forum.

Thank you

I retrieve golf balls from a couple of lakes on golf courses in my local area ( with permission from the manager) I play the balls I get and supply to a few of the guys I play with.

No one I've supplied to has ever noticed any difference to new balls.

I can't believe the price of new golf balls. I will always play used not that I'm an expert.

Sorry I wasn't trying to sell. I only provide for the guys I play with I don't sell them online.

I'd prefer to play new balls all of the time, but this year I havent had any issues playing used ProV1's.

If I was playing for money or a better golfer I.E. single digit trying to hit scratch then I may play only new balls. For the average weekend warrior used balls are fine, I have been playing for 35 years on and off and have used allot of both and I hardly ever buy a new ball unless it's towards the end of the season and that years balls go on sale big time.

The problem I have with AAAA used balls is they're not really that much cheaper than new, once you factor in the expensive shipping. I suppose if you're buying 3 or 4 dozen at a time it is a bit cheaper, but if not, the price difference is so negligible it makes no sense not to just go pick up a box locally.

I will be buying nothing but the grade a or mint condition from now on. I really dont see a reason to buy new after seeing this.

I guess this depends on what ball you are using. I'm using the V2 Gamer which I can get brand new for under $10 a dozen shipped to my door.

I play plenty of refurbished golf balls. Can't beat 25 a dozen (tops) vs. $47

I buy lots of recycled balls from local people. Not a fan of reconditioned balls.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I almost always buy mint condition used balls on ebay (never reconditioned/refurbished)... The quality of the balls & the money I save, IMO is the way to go.

I used to go to lostgolfballs.com still do, but I think buying new of eBay might be the way to go

I know I'm a little late to the party but nice find, Bridges. I've been testing different brands and their respective lines of golf balls the whole past year to determine the "perfect ball" for me. it all started when a buddy & I split a dozen Callaway Hex Chromes over the summer. loved the ball but the price was too steep to keep buying a new dozen every couple weeks so I bought a dozen in what was described as 3/5 condition & they performed identically to the new ones. I have & will continue to buy used golf balls from here on out!

For me it's a total waste of money buying brand new unless it's on a sale. I normally use a couple of eBay sellers who I have found to be reputable. No refinished or refurbished balls just mint or A grade used. I usually get Srixon or Bridgestone from him and the quality is very good and the price reasonable. Keeps me happy!

I have been useing Knetgolf for over a year and i have been able to try out many high end balls and find out what i like for very cheap prices. Prob has saved me Hundreds of dollar's.

I buy used Pro V1s from a good friend who lives on our golf course. He sells them to me for $20 a dozen. He only sells me the ones that look like new. I feel this is a bargain and think I am playing top line balls at all times.

Back