Cleveland Black Fairway Woods

This could very well be the longest 3 wood I have ever played. Just a blast to hit off the tee, and from the deck. I'm loving the lightweight shaft and think it really fits me. It has me pondering the 265 driver, but I just don't know if I can cheat on the amp. This thing is definitely the real deal for long high and straight.

This could very well be the longest 3 wood I have ever played. Just a blast to hit off the tee, and from the deck. I'm loving the lightweight shaft and think it really fits me. It has me pondering the 265 driver, but I just don't know if I can cheat on the amp. This thing is definitely the real deal for long high and straight.
Frank, I think you would love the Black Driver. It's impressive dude. I think the lightweight really promotes a good tempo and think it would benefit you more than you realize.

Frank, I think you would love the Black Driver. It's impressive dude. I think the lightweight really promotes a good tempo and think it would benefit you more than you realize.

I agree, but I'm not hitting the AMP poorly. I will scope the bay and see if a cheap experiment can be had.

Frank, as well you're hitting the Amp I wouldn't change a thing man. People go through drivers like paper towels, all looking for that magic bullet.

You've got it, hammer it.

Frank, as well you're hitting the Amp I wouldn't change a thing man. People go through drivers like paper towels, all looking for that magic bullet.

You've got it, hammer it.

Absolutely buddy. The playability for my current bag is amazing. Comfortable with every club. The only thing I should be buying right now is range balls and rounds

Frank have you played Willowhaven with the Black 3W yet? If so what holes did you use the Black 3W to tee off with? Hope the success continues with the current bag. Even though I like Cleveland I am more of a of its not broke don't fix it homer, so I would say stay with what is working driver wise and the longer you wait I would think the price of the Black driver would only get less expensive that is if you do need it some time in the future.

SW did you try the Black 5W and 7W? I just ask because you seem to have such success with the Black fairway line. Would like to know if the Mashie line just out performed the Black or maybe Black hit the ball to high?

Sadly no. The 5&7 in stiff flex dont exist as far as I can find. However, I find the Mashie fairways in those lofts to be so good at what I need them for that I would be hard pressed to swap them. I like the Black 3, I like it a lot, but honestly I don't see the 5&7 being as versatile as the Mashie.

I know on the Cleveland website it says get your distance back so I think the Black line is more for the slower swing speed or senior golfers.

You would be correct, but it is playable by a wide wide range of golfers.

Maj,

I have only played one time out at Willowhaven with the Black 3 wood and only used it for a few holes. Sorry I can't give you more info that way. I did crush it on the par 4 16, the elevated tee box dog leg left back up the hill over the water hole.

I played it a couple of times off the tee today and get terrific distance out of it. I can also hit it well of the deck. I'm a big fan. I agree with Danny about the Mashie's, and how versatile they are. I have no fear with any of these Cleveland FW's in my hands. I just expect to hit a great shot. Do I hit it great everytime, of course not, but my percentages are getting much higher on good to bad.

As far as swing speed, they are marketed to those who need a boost. I can't crush the ball. Max out on my driver in the high 90s and hit my 3 wood low 90s but the 39g C. Kua is legit, and like I said I hit the ball high and farther.

Yes I am sure it is as witnessed here, but I think even some retail salespeople have a misnomer because I have been told more than once that I should try the Classic that the black is for senior players. Didn't mean to insinuate anything by that post. As we have discussed before you hit the ball longer than I do.

Yes I am sure it is as witnessed here, but I think even some retail salespeople have a misnomer because I have been told more than once that I should try the Classic that the black is for senior players. Didn't mean to insinuate anything by that post. As we have discussed before you hit the ball longer than I do.

I love the irons with the stiff C. Kua graphite shafts. They are incredible. I'm hitting the ball a full club farther at the moment.

JB did a lot of driver testing when it came out with people at his club. All with > 90mph swing speeds from what I remember. Some had a lot of extra distance, others lost quite a bit. It really does max out with this shaft right around a 100mph or so and depends on your transition. Check out this radio show on the black driver. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15047

Frank and SW, I may have asked a similar question a few weeks ago but please humor me. Which do you think makes the Black 3W more versatile/easier to hit than the Mashie 3W, loft or shaft length? correct me if I'm wrong but the Mashie and Black fairway line have the same shaft in them, right?

Also could you both tell me your experience with Black vs. Mashie 3W and how you came to your decision to go with the Black, Thanks guys.

Frank and SW, I may have asked a similar question a few weeks ago but please humor me. Which do you think makes the Black 3W more versatile/easier to hit than the Mashie 3W, loft or shaft length? correct me if I'm wrong but the Mashie and Black fairway line have the same shaft in them, right?

Also could you both tell me your experience with Black vs. Mashie 3W and how you came to your decision to go with the Black, Thanks guys.

I think both are easy to hit, I'm just liking that the Black gets up and goes a little more. If it were really windy I would put the Mashie back in the bag b/c I hit it a little lower.

The Black has a 39g C. Kua, the Mashie a C. Kua 59. I get the same tragectory out of the Black that I get out of the Mashie F5/F7.

Frank my issue with the Black (although I haven't hit it that much, truthfully) is I generate a lot of spin with the driver even though my very highest swing speed these days with the driver is 92 mph. I also have a miss of left so I have all the misses of a "better" golfer with the swing speed not to take advantage of it. I am sure it is more of a swing issue, but the last few years have worked more on short game than full swing.

Im not really a senior player, nor do I have a slow swing speed. It just works, I cant say it any better than that, it just does.

The F3 is just a club I don't hit well. Maybe its the different profile, maybe its the keel and rails? Honestly man I just don't know. I have an old Nike that uses a keel sole and I hit it well, so there's that lol. I think there is like .5* difference between the two and the F3 is shorter, which should equal more control but it doesn't for me. I got low fades from the F3.

I use the Black primarily off the tee, but surprisingly I've started using the F7 of the tee with great results. Ample distance and reliability in spades. That can actually be said for both the Black and my Mashies. Different animals, but equally effective to me.

SW could you elaborate on the distance gap between your mashie 7W mashie M5 and 588 CB 6-iron. I would think these would have more of a gap than say a matched set of clubs.

Frank are the Black irons a full iron longer than your previous irons? and what irons were you using before the Black irons?

The only gap is 6 iron to 5 hybrid. 20 yards but it is easily managed by choking down on the hybrid.

SW have you considered going with the 588 CB 5-iron? It would seem to fit but I realize you may prefer to just grip down on the M5 and keep a spot for some other club, just a thought.

Nope. I hate 5 irons. Carried one from last spring through this spring. Used it like 6 times, totally a wasted club in my bag.

Well excuuuusseee me. No really tell me how you feel. Just a thought. You obviously have your bag set up just like you need it right now.

Haha come again?

Back