Golf Makes it's Olympic Pitch

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
From Yahoo.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-olympicbid&prov=ap&type=lgns

Golf makes its big play for a place on the Olympic program next week believing its lineup will deliver a persuasive case for inclusion.

Annika Sorenstam and Colin Montgomerie will join tour leaders from around the world to present golf’s pitch to the International Olympic Committee executive board on Monday.

United under the International Golf Federation flag, they will arrive at IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, with unofficial status as a front-runner among the seven sports aiming for two available program spots from 2016 onward.

“We feel good about the story that we have told,” IGF executive director Ty Votaw told The Associated Press on Thursday.

“But we don’t have any sense of where we are in the process. I don’t get too high with the positive rumors, I don’t get too low with the rumors that say we’re long shots.”

Monday’s presentations are a crucial step in the long-term lobbying campaigns waged by golf alongside baseball, karate, roller sports, rugby sevens, softball and squash to join the 26 existing Summer Olympic sports.

The 15-member IOC executive will hear all seven proposals, then decide in August which two sports will be presented to the full membership for possible inclusion in an October poll.

Votaw believes golf has a “compelling” argument that it can deliver what the IOC is seeking.

“It’s the commercial appeal of our sport. It’s the celebrity of our top players. It’s the global reach,” he said in a telephone interview.

Votaw said the sport is played by 60 million people in 120 countries, and televised to 550 million homes in 230 countries.

“That would be a wonderful platform to promote golf’s participation in the Olympics and the Olympic ideals on a year-round basis,” he said

The presentation team will highlight a reputation for honesty and fair play that lines up with the movement’s values.

“If you play golf you play by the rules,” said Votaw, adding that 18 months of drug-testing programs on the major tours have shown the sport to be clean.

The IGF proposal calls for 72-hole stroke play tournaments for men and women, with 60 players in each field. Three-hole playoffs will decide the medal places.

The world’s top 15 players will gain automatic entry with remaining places filled by the highest-ranked players whose countries don’t already have two players in the field.

Retired legend Sorenstam and European Ryder Cup captain Montgomerie will lend the star quality in a six-strong bid team led by Votaw and Peter Dawson, chief executive of the Royal and Ancient club at St. Andrews.

They are joined by PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem and Hisako Higuchi, chairwoman of the Japan LPGA, who are among 19 major tours and amateur federations in 121 countries supporting the bid.

All have promised to adjust their tournament schedules to give Olympic golf exclusive status should it return to the Games for the first time since 1904.

“We believe that with this support golf is speaking with one voice,” Votaw said.

IOC members will vote at their annual session in Copenhagen, Denmark.

I hope it's not allowed.Golf should not be an Olympic sport. We already have special PC and RC events and 4 official majors.

Why not? Tennis is in, baseball is in, why not golf? It should only be amateurs but that won't ever happen.

• Admin
Im with you Smallie. I would love to see this. I think if done correctly it could be a blast.

Why not? Tennis is in, baseball is in, why not golf? It should only be amateurs but that won't ever happen.

Actually Smalls going forward Baseball/Softball is out. :sad: I agree though that it should be amateurs who should play. Why have it in the Olympic games if we already have that in the weekly tournaments? Also will it be a team event or individual? Sounds like they are leaning towards individuals. Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone know what other sports are trying to get in?

I don't think I would watch the Olympics any more than I do (which is very little) if golf were added. I don't even watch that much golf on TV as it is. Of course golf would be one of those sports that would be free of judges with personal agendas. It would hard to manipulate par, and the stroke count. Of course, if the judges were to strictly enforce the USGA/R&A rules, you might see a few more penalty strokes added. I would also hope that the various golf teams would not want to be paid for their time spent representing their country, and/or appearance fees. Yes, the game of golf should be an Olympic sport, but it would not surprise me if it does not happen. :comp:

It should be in there for at least a couple of Olympics to test it out, like Softball was. It is different from the PC and RC since it is a Nationality based event, but individually, not team based. I would love to see it and I am sure that the golfers would enjoy the opportunity to be a part of the Olympic festivities and compete for their country...even if they make it amateur only, but I would rather see pros anyway.

As you can see in my profile pic, I got to meet Annika a couple of months ago and heard her give a speech. She talked about this meeting she was going to have with the Olympic committee. Apparently she has the backing of the PGA and LPGA with all the big names (Tiger also) throwing support behind her for this. She is very passionate about the topic, as she is with most things she gets involved in. She stated that she thinks she can do more good for the game of golf now that she is retired. She's a good voice for the game.

I would love to see Golf in the Olympics, but like so many other sports I have a feeling it would turn into another pro event.

If it is allowed, PLEASE let it be restricted to amateurs. It's bad enough I have to watch pro tennis, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc players competing in what was once an amateur event. :bicker:

I too would like to know what the other six sports are. Though the fun part of the Olympics is the obscure sports.

Interesting that the JLPGA head was there but not the LPGA.

You are wrong about soccer....it is not specifically amateurs but it is restricted to young players. I do not remember the specifics, but you are only allowed something like 3 veterans of any age, and the rest are either U-23 or U-21 players.

I also think that NO ONE watches or cares about Olympic soccer becuase of this fact. When there are professionals in a sport...like baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey...it is hard to watch people you don't know compete in something like the olympics. For sports like swimming it is ok, because you only watch it once every 4 years anyway.

Also, people tend to forget that not ALL olympic sports are amateurs...even track & field competitors are highly paid professionals...can you imagine if we said that those people could not compete, like Michael Johnson in 96 in Atlanta.

You are wrong about soccer....it is not specifically amateurs but it is restricted to young players. I do not remember the specifics, but you are only allowed something like 3 veterans of any age, and the rest are either U-23 or U-21 players.

I also think that NO ONE watches or cares about Olympic soccer becuase of this fact. When there are professionals in a sport...like baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey...it is hard to watch people you don't know compete in something like the olympics. For sports like swimming it is ok, because you only watch it once every 4 years anyway.

Also, people tend to forget that not ALL olympic sports are amateurs...even track & field competitors are highly paid professionals...can you imagine if we said that those people could not compete, like Michael Johnson in 96 in Atlanta.

Nobody watches professional soccer in the US let alone Olympic soccer. As for the pros vs amateurs. When we had the amateurs in basketball everybody wanted the dream team. When we got the dream team, everybody wanted amateurs.

Nobody watches professional soccer in the US let alone Olympic soccer. As for the pros vs amateurs. When we had the amateurs in basketball everybody wanted the dream team. When we got the dream team, everybody wanted amateurs.

I very much agree with your statement about the dream-team...and I feel the same about olympic hockey. I wanted pros, but do not want to go back to ams....I would not watch it as closely if it were not pro. The problem is that the US used Ams but the rest of world used thier best players. When they started kicking the butt of our Ams we got sick of losing and decided to put a beat-down with our pros...now they have caught up to that as well.

I will just say that nobody would pay attention aside from hardcore fans who would under any circumstances were this to be filled with amateurs. I like the idea of having golf in the Olympics, but it would have to be pros for it to succeed, imo.

Back