Getting More Women into the Game

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
It was a good article. It is very hard for me to drag my friends out to the course who are not familiar with the game. I've heard every excuse in the book. I usually get them out there by putting them in charge of beer / driving the cart duty. :act-up:

Something that is amazing to me, is that there is not a LPGA tour stop in Texas. There are so many for the PGA and I go to them all. I am originally from Oklahoma and need to try to go to that LPGA event but have not made it yet. Just kills me that Texas is so big, with so many courses, and we can't get an event here. I think it would help.

It was a good article. It is very hard for me to drag my friends out to the course who are not familiar with the game. I've heard every excuse in the book. I usually get them out there by putting them in charge of beer / driving the cart duty. :act-up:

Something that is amazing to me, is that there is not a LPGA tour stop in Texas. There are so many for the PGA and I go to them all. I am originally from Oklahoma and need to try to go to that LPGA event but have not made it yet. Just kills me that Texas is so big, with so many courses, and we can't get an event here. I think it would help.

Actually, I think I recall that the new home for that IMG-sponsored LPGA event will be in Houston. Isn't that right, JB, Harry, Claire, someone?

You want to hear something even crazier is that the LPGA is home in FL. Yet we have NO stops either. They lost the one event they had in Orlando. Just keep moving them overseas.

We have an LPGA tour stop here in Vegas, but it is usually here, and gone before a lot of folks know about it. It is not well publicized by the local media. I golf at that course sometimes, and I know when the ladies are going to play because of the course preparations involved. I usually attend it for at least a couple of days. Now when the PGA is in town, that is a big deal, and a big effort is made to get the local folks out there to help with next year's stop having a sponsor.:comp:

It's truly sad that there isn't an LPGA stop in Florida. You can't hardly go outside your home without tripping onto a course here.

I'm glad my sister is starting to play more - I still need to get her to post an update on her Nickent Ladies 3DX RC clubs now that she's been out on the course. No luck yet with getting my fiance to touch a club beyond mini-golf, but she has said she'll come along with and ride just to see the birds and other wildlife on the course. I'll get her to try it eventually! :devil:

I know Osahar. The state that still has the best ratings for womens golf and had a large turnout each year for the event they had and of course home to the LPGA has no stops.

I am astounded there isn’t a Florida LPGA stop.

I feel very blessed that my wife not only loves to play but enjoys watching golf on television as well. Hopefully when my eight month old daughter gets old enough we’ll have another female golfer. We don’t plan to push her to play but are definitely hoping she likes the game.

It's truly sad that there isn't an LPGA stop in Florida. You can't hardly go outside your home without tripping onto a course here.

I'm glad my sister is starting to play more - I still need to get her to post an update on her Nickent Ladies 3DX RC clubs now that she's been out on the course. No luck yet with getting my fiance to touch a club beyond mini-golf, but she has said she'll come along with and ride just to see the birds and other wildlife on the course. I'll get her to try it eventually! :devil:

I went to the Ginn Open the past 3 years, but not this year, of course! It is very sad that there is no LPGA event in FL.

Maybe your fiance will try to hit balls at range? I would only hit balls at range for a long time. It seemed intimidating to play on the course.

You just need to get her to hit one good shot. Then she will be hooked!

I find hitting on the range more intimidating than playing--too many people looking at me and judging. I'm sure that's due in large part to being left-handed. I like to go with someone I know, so we can get bays facing each other, and I don't have some stranger watching me and giving me gratuitous advice.

On the other hand, it can be very reassuring to stand back for a few minutes and watch where other folks are hitting their balls. There is ALWAYS someone worse than you.

I find hitting on the range more intimidating than playing--too many people looking at me and judging. I'm sure that's due in large part to being left-handed. I like to go with someone I know, so we can get bays facing each other, and I don't have some stranger watching me and giving me gratuitous advice.

On the other hand, it can be very reassuring to stand back for a few minutes and watch where other folks are hitting their balls. There is ALWAYS someone worse than you.

Minus the lefty part I feel the exact same way! I always feel like people are watching me when I am at the range, and I am always bound to hit a few shots so far to the right that I am afraid I will take out the person next to me. However, like you said I do like to step back for a minute and find one (all I need is one) person who is worse than I am and you are correct there usually is one.

I find the course to just be more rewarding and challenging all at the same time. I enjoying hitting from different lies and trying out different shots and picking a real target instead of a floating island like my course has.

I think I get worried about all the rules and I did not want to slow play, so the course intimidated me a lot at first.

Strangers (male strangers) do like to give unwanted advise to women at the range. That is irritating. You don't see them going up to men and giving them advise. :at-wits-end:

I think I get worried about all the rules and I did not want to slow play, so the course intimidated me a lot at first.

Strangers (male strangers) do like to give unwanted advise to women at the range. That is irritating. You don't see them going up to men and giving them advise. :at-wits-end:

Just smile sweetly and ask, "have you always had that funny hitch at the top of your backswing?" :angel:

I find the course to just be more rewarding and challenging all at the same time. I enjoying hitting from different lies and trying out different shots and picking a real target instead of a floating island like my course has.

It is hard to practice shots from different lies at the range. Darren (hubby) & I kid about how we need that Hillshot Golf thing that was on Fore Inventors Only, but we are not kidding! Sometimes we play a late afternoon 9 and declare it a practice 9 where we play an extra ball here and there (esp. wedges) to get more realistic practice.

All this talk about practice makes me want to practice. But I am tired and it is time for bed. And I am sorry if I highjacked thread. But it does not seem like you guys are as uptight about that here as they are on some other sites. Thank goodness. Here is a dancing banana :banana: for women playing golf because that is awesome and I just wanted to use the dancing banana. :banana:

It is hard to practice shots from different lies at the range. Darren (hubby) & I kid about how we need that Hillshot Golf thing that was on Fore Inventors Only, but we are not kidding! Sometimes we play a late afternoon 9 and declare it a practice 9 where we play an extra ball here and there (esp. wedges) to get more realistic practice.

All this talk about practice makes me want to practice. But I am tired and it is time for bed. And I am sorry if I highjacked thread. But it does not seem like you guys are as uptight about that here as they are on some other sites. Thank goodness. Here is a dancing banana :banana: for women playing golf because that is awesome and I just wanted to use the dancing banana. :banana:

Sweetie, if you think THAT's threadjacking, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

I consider our par 3 muni to be practice. Or that's what I tell myself.

I went to the Ginn Open the past 3 years, but not this year, of course! It is very sad that there is no LPGA event in FL.

Maybe your fiance will try to hit balls at range? I would only hit balls at range for a long time. It seemed intimidating to play on the course.

You just need to get her to hit one good shot. Then she will be hooked!

I think I'm going to have better luck getting her out to one of the local Exec courses on a slow afternoon. Had her at the range with me last weekend and she said there's no way she'll swing a club with people around to watch.

That drives me crazy!!!! Every time I am out there some older man wants to come over and say "have you tried doing it this way?" I can't stand that. Unless I ask for help please don't give it.

Koko and GG,
Strangers want to give unwanted advice to everybody, not just the ladies. It is terrible.

Koko and GG,
Strangers want to give unwanted advice to everybody, not just the ladies. It is terrible.

Yup.

My advice: iPod.

Yup.

My advice: iPod.

That is exactly what I was about to say. This helps me forget about people possibly staring at me. Plus, it is a good deterrent from people coming up to give advice. They know they might be interrupting you if they do.

Koko girl - I also like the dancing banana! :banana:

I've never had the unwanted advice problem at the range...but I always stand either on the end, in front of a boyfriend/friend, or in front of another woman. (Or they talk about your butt.) That helps.

My mom has recently started playing golf. My dad has tried for years to get her to play and obviously I play, but she was never really comfortable. This year she joined a great program with a friend of hers who was new to golf as well. It was a 12 week program for women only that met once a week. The first 6 weeks were lessons,the next 6 weeks they went on the course. The same women in the lessons were now all playing together on the course. This let my mom get comfortable on the course playing with other women of her skill level. Now she has played with my dad a few times. They started on par 3s first and have now been playing 18. She called me last weekend, she had out driven my dad on one hole (from the women's tees) and I am pretty sure there is no turning back now!
I think women have to be in an environment that they are comfortable starting out in with other women. Unfortunately that is not on any old course, at any old time. It has to be in a set up like my mom started out in. There needs to be more all women programs that offer not only lessons (like mentioned in the article) but also get the women comfortable on the course.

Back