Your Least Favorite Yardage

110 sucks... right between my GW and SW and I'm terrible at 90% GW shots... terrible.

180-190 is the worst. If I actually managed to pure my 4i on the course off the deck it wouldn't be an issue, but most are snap hooks that fly out of bounds. Most of the time I either lay off my 7w and try to run it to the green or just hit a sand wedge twice.

Definitely 190 for me. I just can't seem to ever end up in a good spot from that distance.

260-270 out in the FW in a par 5. It's the edge of my comfort zone to at a par 5 in two. It's the only distance that makes me think. Anything below is a no brained just as anything above.

60-75 yards. If it's open I will just take a 52 and bump and run it. If it's a carry over a bunker or other obstacle, I'm screwed. The 2 lb chunk of sod often goes further than the ball. I'm cringing now just thinking about it.

230 left on a par 5. That yardage makes me think of getting on in 2. Anything less and I'm going for it. Anything more and I'm laying up. 230 is where the trouble is

230 for me too. Lately Ive been crushing the XTD 3W so far that Im not sure what club to use for that distance. And when I have that distance left on a par 5 I start gearing up for the hero shot. Doesnt always work out good either.

100 yards. Right between my 60 and 54.

What do you do for that yardage, Pete? Do you consciously try to avoid it as much as possible?

55 yards to 87 yards. I just don't have a club or a swing for this range. I have yet to get anywhere near a green, sometimes I chunk, sometimes I hosel rocket, sometimes I go too far. I really just try to avoid that yardage range now.

~Rock

55 yards to 87 yards. I just don't have a club or a swing for this range. I have yet to get anywhere near a green, sometimes I chunk, sometimes I hosel rocket, sometimes I go too far. I really just try to avoid that yardage range now.

~Rock

+1. It's just mind boggling to me that I have so much trouble from this range.

What do you do for that yardage, Pete? Do you consciously try to avoid it as much as possible?

Yes. I manage it of course but I never like it. If I get 77-95 yards I'm licking my chops but 100...meh.

My least favorite yardage is about 3-5 yds. Man I just struggle getting those putts to drop at that range. I know the tour percentage is about 50% in that range, I just want more birdies!

15 yards. For some reason, lately, my distance control from here has been horrid.

55 yards. It's not enough for a true swing with my 58, but it's too much for just a chip shot. So I end up trying to hit a half swing 58, and normally end up hitting it fat and ending up short or just on the green.

80-90. Too much for my 60* ... too little for my 54*.

< 60yds when I can't bump and run with a hybrid...total kryptonite for me

Not that it is my least favorite but Dave Pelz says everyone needs a 14 yard shot and that people who don't hit a lot of greens (your average golfer) has more 14 yard shots than the person who hits more greens. Of course he came to this conclusion from years of exhaustive research so we know he's right.

Last edited:
30-45 yards. So many options I usually have too much going on in my head and make a mess of it. Very Frustrating.

Changing my answer from 6 months ago. I'd say 210-220 yards. It's distance I can cover, but I always seem to feel like I have to swing harder than I need to, which causes bad things.

Hawk, what do you usually hit here? This is prime F5 territory for me. I love the 185-220 range. F7 & F5 are sick at these distances.

230ish however has become an issue as I always want to swing out of my shoes with the F3. Never ends well.

20-30 yards, I just come up short or go long

Anything from 50-90 yards has always killed me! Not great with a 56*. Always tend to decel the closer I get to the green. Very frustrating!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hawk, what do you usually hit here? This is prime F5 territory for me. I love the 185-220 range. F7 & F5 are sick at these distances.

230ish however has become an issue as I always want to swing out of my shoes with the F3. Never ends well.

That's sort of a mystery lol. I'd grab the F3 though, since that's the only club in my present bag outside my driver that could get there. I've seen it go both shorter and farther, based on the quality of the swing, which tends to make it unpredictable when going for a green.

For me it's got to be 190-210 it's between a 4 iron and a 3H always feel like its a full shot I need to flush

Back