Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Nice round Dave. Have you seen your GIR's going up as well?

Yes I have. The ones I am missing are just off. That is more due to alignment issues. My distance control has been awesome lately.

Yes I have. The ones I am missing are just off. That is more due to alignment issues. My distance control has been awesome lately.
Awesome man. Love hearing about progress.

Still loving mine. They feel so darn good.

BUTTER

These feel so nice. They are so forgiving. My "lefts" are gone mysteriously, which is a good thing. I played decent today. My irons play was good, but I am still trying to figure out the distances.

I think these are more forgiving than my MX200s. More shots feel better. My Mizunos felt better when hit just right, but you felt it more when you hit a poor shot. I'm not sure if its the Wilson Duo golf balls being so soft or if everything off my irons feel like a great shot, but everything but 1 shot have felt like I got it right.

Sadly, I have flown the green too many time so far in my 2 rounds with them.

Mine came at D0 but I used lead tape to get them to D2. I asked Ping how much to change the swing weight and the said, $30. That's $30 per club. I'm now considering other options.

Ouch, I went with the Tungsten stick on squares for now. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0054_A_cn_E_1895 two on each club just above the CTP centered on it. Considering just adding these into the tips as well http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0105_A_cn_E_1895 I do my own shaft work so it would be easy enough to do. Just not sure if the weight in the shaft tip would change the way the club hits or feels as opposed to having the weight centered in the CTP port.

Edit: did some research and it looks like you can also pull the grips, use tungsten powder and a cork pushed down into the tip with a ram rod to add swingweight without having to pull the heads. Definately recomend the tape option to try it out first though.

Last edited:
Ouch, I went with the Tungsten stick on squares for now. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0054_A_cn_E_1895 two on each club just above the CTP centered on it. Considering just adding these into the tips as well http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0105_A_cn_E_1895 I do my own shaft work so it would be easy enough to do. Just not sure if the weight in the shaft tip would change the way the club hits or feels as opposed to having the weight centered in the CTP port.

Edit: did some research and it looks like you can also pull the grips, use tungsten powder and a cork pushed down into the tip with a ram rod to add swingweight without having to pull the heads. Definately recomend the tape option to try it out first though.

Thanks. Ya I don't think putting 4 grams in the tip should affect the way the club plays, but who knows. Nice set up, I'm pondering Scor wedges myself.

Mike

I finally purchased a set and they arrived from ping yesterday. I was fitted for these with the stock steel cfs shaft r flex and black dot. One thing that I noticed about the irons is that the faces on mine don't look as dark compared to some that I have seen. I know with the earlier sets there were some wear issues after a few rounds, so maybe this lighter color face is the change that ping made. I went to the range (before a storm moved in) and hit the u wedge and 8 iron and must say these are wonderful feeling clubs. I also have a set of the TM cb's which have a forged face, and these pings actually feel better. The pings are definately more forgiving on off-center strikes compared to the cb's. I must say my first time out with the pings was better than I expected. On another note I have a set of G-20's that will be up for sale since I hit the I-20's much better. Go figure!

I finally purchased a set and they arrived from ping yesterday. I was fitted for these with the stock steel cfs shaft r flex and black dot. One thing that I noticed about the irons is that the faces on mine don't look as dark compared to some that I have seen. I know with the earlier sets there were some wear issues after a few rounds, so maybe this lighter color face is the change that ping made. I went to the range (before a storm moved in) and hit the u wedge and 8 iron and must say these are wonderful feeling clubs. I also have a set of the TM cb's which have a forged face, and these pings actually feel better. The pings are definately more forgiving on off-center strikes compared to the cb's. I must say my first time out with the pings was better than I expected. On another note I have a set of G-20's that will be up for sale since I hit the I-20's much better. Go figure!

Congrats on the irons! Yep, we discussed it during testing (WAAAAAAAAAY back in this thing somewhere, its HUGE! HA!) that they had gone to a lighter finish on the clubs now. I have the original finish on my testing irons and with a TON of round son them they still look great, some are just pickier than others. GREAT irons.

I bought the used i20s I found at PGASS today. They look new and were at a smoking price, lower than I have seen on ebay for 4-pw. I was shocked to see they were still there at that price. Went straight to the range with them. I really like these. The turf interaction is great. The i20s just cut through the turf on my bad swings that normally leave a deep divot with the Mizzys.

I warmed up with the 9 iron and then grabbed my Tzoid 9 to compare. I pured the Mizuno, beautiful shot. Hit another with the Ping that was just as straight, but higher and probably 5 yards longer, didn't feel great though. Looked at the face and I had caught it out toward the toe. Awesome. Only got to hit 25-30 balls before my teacher grabbed me for my short game lesson. I'll squeeze in another session this weekend. I will get them on the course Monday.

I met this pro on the range yesterday. He had the titleist 712 MB's in the bag so I decided to see what would happen if I hit these. Surprised to see I hit them well. Made me realize how much progression made since I have my i20's.

The I got back to my i20's and it was like heaven. Great feel, great forgiveness and plenty of room to shape shots if you want to. I'm sticking with these for a while!

Got in another range session, and then 7 holes on course with my teaching pro. I am so happy with the i20s. I don't know why, but I hit these very well. They really help my confidence. Not a real round so no score to relate to. He would just put me in different situations on the course and select a club from my bag for me to hit. He and I thought I pured one on a 6 iron shot from the fairway, long with a slight fade. looked at the face and I caught it way out by the toe. Very forgiving irons. I was about 3 yards past the 150 marker on the next hole. He handed me an iron and told me where to aim and told me to go easy on the swing so I figured it was the 6, didn't really pay close attention to what iron it was. The shot ended up about 2 feet short of the green. It was a 9 iron, I have never hit a 9 iron that far before. The i20s are very long for me compared to my old blades.

Look good in the bag too.

IMG_3984.jpg

Mad at my i20's right now. Well, really everything. I'm just swinging terrible. But I'd rather blame the arrow than the Indian.

Driving for show and chutting for dough

Got in another range session, and then 7 holes on course with my teaching pro. I am so happy with the i20s. I don't know why, but I hit these very well. They really help my confidence. Not a real round so no score to relate to. He would just put me in different situations on the course and select a club from my bag for me to hit. He and I thought I pured one on a 6 iron shot from the fairway, long with a slight fade. looked at the face and I caught it way out by the toe. Very forgiving irons. I was about 3 yards past the 150 marker on the next hole. He handed me an iron and told me where to aim and told me to go easy on the swing so I figured it was the 6, didn't really pay close attention to what iron it was. The shot ended up about 2 feet short of the green. It was a 9 iron, I have never hit a 9 iron that far before. The i20s are very long for me compared to my old blades.

Look good in the bag too.

IMG_3984.jpg

Ducmike, that's a good looking bag there dude. You're spot on, lots of forgiveness packed into this sleek package. Just so dang good.

Had another solid round on Sunday, in large part due to the consistency and confidence I have with the i20s. Played in a challenging 2.5 to 3 club wind (thanks Sandy!), beating my handicap (again!) by 3 shots. Given the conditions, I'd have to consider it one of the top 10 rounds of my life.

My handicap is now officially down 3 strokes since I got the i20s, and is trending down another 0.5 strokes.

Finally... Picked these beauties up on my lunch break today.

6629652B-6CDA-412E-844A-87B1178C1613-2635-00000130BA1C450D.jpg

Still catching up from my vacation, so didn't get to spend much time with them. Took a few swings with the PW & 7I and was pretty pleased with the results. Felt really nice considering I haven't hit a club in almost a week & a half. PW ate up some good ball cover on the first swing. :D Noticed that I'm making contact a little to the inside, but that's more of an setup issue and will be rectified on the range as soon as I can swing it. Most likely tomorrow after work!

Finally... Picked these beauties up on my lunch break today.

6629652B-6CDA-412E-844A-87B1178C1613-2635-00000130BA1C450D.jpg

Still catching up from my vacation, so didn't get to spend much time with them. Took a few swings with the PW & 7I and was pretty pleased with the results. Felt really nice considering I haven't hit a club in almost a week & a half. PW ate up some good ball cover on the first swing. :D Noticed that I'm making contact a little to the inside, but that's more of an setup issue and will be rectified on the range as soon as I can swing it. Most likely tomorrow after work!

Those look very sexy Jon. I can't wait to hear more about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice Jon!

Mine will be getting ANOTHER work out today, love it.

Nice Jon!

Mine will be getting ANOTHER work out today, love it.

Yeah, between halloween and work catch up I'm thinking tomorrow is more realistic. Got a busy couple of weeks coming up but am going to carve out some quality time for these and my wedges for practice (and hopefully some actual rounds in there).

Great picture Jon, enjoy your irons!

Yeah, between halloween and work catch up I'm thinking tomorrow is more realistic. Got a busy couple of weeks coming up but am going to carve out some quality time for these and my wedges for practice (and hopefully some actual rounds in there).
I'm excited for ya. I still stand by these being fantastic, SO much fun out on the course.

Been prepping an end of year recap on the i20s. Going through scorecards and compiling stats is time consuming. Hope to have something up in the next week or so.

12/18 GIR's today, a 9i on a par 3 to 3.5 feet, and the best 5i I've ever hit in my life.

I love you too i20's.

Nice Jman. The 5i serves me well. It seems to do better in really bad spots. Strange.

Its crazy to see/think that this thread has got over 300,000 views. THAT, is impressive and kind of scary too!

Its crazy to see/think that this thread has got over 300,000 views. THAT, is impressive and kind of scary too!

Ping + game changing irons + awesome THP testers + even more awesome members = ??? Can it get to half a million? My work isn't done yet!

Back