Golf Courses; Customer Service and setting themselves apart.

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
I will start by saying that I have never been a member of a Golf Club, as the area I live in there are so many different options of courses to play that I have always been content with playing a different course on a weekly basis. The only course that I have ever been somewhat associated with is the course where I play in a Wednesday Night League. I have always enjoyed this course, which is semi-private, and while the member dues are extremely reasonable, the thought of becoming a member was not one that I ever really entertained.

About 1 year ago, this course underwent a management change, and with that change came some things that have made me strongly consider becoming a member. I am not talking about improving the layout or the maintenance of the course, as it has always been in excellent shape and is well maintained. What I am talking about here is the Customer Service side of things and what the little things they have done to set themselves apart from other courses. In my line of work, as well as working with my Family's small businesses, I am a firm believe in the power of Customer Service and what it can provide a business, and what I have seen over the past months, has me thinking of becoming a member of this course.

Here are a few of the things they have improved upon since the change in management, while they are nothing earth-shattering, it's the little things that I notice and keep me playing the course;
  • Placing a small towel in the cart, with 5 tees, a plastic divot tool, and a ball marker.
  • Rather than having the rakes sitting in or around the bunkers, they moved them to the carts in the rake holder (no more complaining about rakes being in the way or nowhere to be found).
  • On busy weekend rounds, there is a pace of play marshal on each 9 holes, and they are often seen walking the greens and repairing ball marks that people leave behind.
  • Marshals actually enforce pace of play, and if a group is not letting another play through, will hold them at the tee box and let a group play through.
  • Each tee box has a small box with tees in it, in case you forget or run out. It's a little thing, but something that I noticed and liked.
  • Every other hole has a water cooler on it now, in the past there was only one per 9 holes, and during the mid-summer months, it was miserable.
  • They removed the "bag drop" and now you are met at your car with someone to take your bag and place it in your cart for you.
  • After your round, the cart guys meet you by the proshop, clean your clubs, then will ride to your car with you and will return the cart to the cart barn.
  • On the 2nd tee and 11th tee there is a box with scorecards and pencils, again, a little thing, but having a broken pencil or forgetting a scorecard happens and often times I never check to see if the pencil is sharpened or even has a tip to use before I play my first hole.
There are a few other things that I have seen improvements in, and in general it's the attitude and customer service from the employees working at the course that has me wanting to play there week in and week out. Their membership offers reciprocal agreements with their sister-courses, and the dues are extremely reasonable now.

Anyone else have something that their course does extremely well, draws you to come back, or sets themselves apart from others?

It's nice to see changes like that War. I would consider joining a place where they put the simple things in play. It doesn't have to be a fancy schmancy place but as long as they are taking care of their members it's a good place. Keeping it simple is sometimes the best way to improve on something that's already established.

I will start by saying that I have never been a member of a Golf Club, as the area I live in there are so many different options of courses to play that I have always been content with playing a different course on a weekly basis. The only course that I have ever been somewhat associated with is the course where I play in a Wednesday Night League. I have always enjoyed this course, which is semi-private, and while the member dues are extremely reasonable, the thought of becoming a member was not one that I ever really entertained.

About 1 year ago, this course underwent a management change, and with that change came some things that have made me strongly consider becoming a member. I am not talking about improving the layout or the maintenance of the course, as it has always been in excellent shape and is well maintained. What I am talking about here is the Customer Service side of things and what the little things they have done to set themselves apart from other courses. In my line of work, as well as working with my Family's small businesses, I am a firm believe in the power of Customer Service and what it can provide a business, and what I have seen over the past months, has me thinking of becoming a member of this course.

Here are a few of the things they have improved upon since the change in management, while they are nothing earth-shattering, it's the little things that I notice and keep me playing the course;
  • Placing a small towel in the cart, with 5 tees, a plastic divot tool, and a ball marker.
  • Rather than having the rakes sitting in or around the bunkers, they moved them to the carts in the rake holder (no more complaining about rakes being in the way or nowhere to be found).
  • On busy weekend rounds, there is a pace of play marshal on each 9 holes, and they are often seen walking the greens and repairing ball marks that people leave behind.
  • Marshals actually enforce pace of play, and if a group is not letting another play through, will hold them at the tee box and let a group play through.
  • Each tee box has a small box with tees in it, in case you forget or run out. It's a little thing, but something that I noticed and liked.
  • Every other hole has a water cooler on it now, in the past there was only one per 9 holes, and during the mid-summer months, it was miserable.
  • They removed the "bag drop" and now you are met at your car with someone to take your bag and place it in your cart for you.
  • After your round, the cart guys meet you by the proshop, clean your clubs, then will ride to your car with you and will return the cart to the cart barn.
  • On the 2nd tee and 11th tee there is a box with scorecards and pencils, again, a little thing, but having a broken pencil or forgetting a scorecard happens and often times I never check to see if the pencil is sharpened or even has a tip to use before I play my first hole.
There are a few other things that I have seen improvements in, and in general it's the attitude and customer service from the employees working at the course that has me wanting to play there week in and week out. Their membership offers reciprocal agreements with their sister-courses, and the dues are extremely reasonable now.

Anyone else have something that their course does extremely well, draws you to come back, or sets themselves apart from others?

I dont have much to add to this thread because I do not have a home course but the bullet points you made are all really neat little things that would for sure enhance the experience for me. The nice courses I have played around here do the club cleaning stuff after the round which is really nice.

It's nice to see changes like that War. I would consider joining a place where they put the simple things in play. It doesn't have to be a fancy schmancy place but as long as they are taking care of their members it's a good place. Keeping it simple is sometimes the best way to improve on something that's already established.
Exactly, like I said, the course has always been in great shape, but the little changes in customer service have really set it apart, IMO. Keeping the pace of play going has been the best thing I have seen, and it is much needed during this time of year on the weekends.

One pet peeve I always had with this course, was that they took two tee times, and sent groups off on #1 and #10 at the same time and it REALLY backed the course up. This no longer is going on, and it has really made things better.

Exactly, like I said, the course has always been in great shape, but the little changes in customer service have really set it apart, IMO. Keeping the pace of play going has been the best thing I have seen, and it is much needed during this time of year on the weekends.

One pet peeve I always had with this course, was that they took two tee times, and sent groups off on #1 and #10 at the same time and it REALLY backed the course up. This no longer is going on, and it has really made things better.

This alone drives me insane. There is a public course that is very well kept and always in great shape that has a great membership option that makes golf very feasible on a monthly basis. I refuse to sign up just becase of this very reason, the last 2 times Ive played there its been a mess with people teeing off all over the place. While I like the fact its 6-7 minutes fro my house, Ive been spoiled with the 3 hour rounds my current place offers, which cannto be had at this place

Its the little things that so many overlook. In the end it normally comes down to cost, pace of play and conditions for most, but every little item added is a step in the right direction.

Its funny to see the list, because if you look at many private clubs around the country, when times got tough, cutting one or two of those was the first thing that happened. It is the little things that makes you feel as though your money is well spent and will keep me coming back to a course.

Those are things that have been perfected on resort golf courses. WE if you said the dues are reasonable, I would join it. Playing the same course everyday is something that improves my fun level for the game. Your course becomes a friend and a foe. The more it beats you up, the more it lets you win.

Its just one of those things that I prefer to be honest.

Its the little things that so many overlook. In the end it normally comes down to cost, pace of play and conditions for most, but every little item added is a step in the right direction.

Its funny to see the list, because if you look at many private clubs around the country, when times got tough, cutting one or two of those was the first thing that happened. It is the little things that makes you feel as though your money is well spent and will keep me coming back to a course.

+1. The best thing the privates can do when time gets tough is spend more. Its such a fantastic way to build a loyal base of members, or customers.

Those are things that have been perfected on resort golf courses. WE if you said the dues are reasonable, I would join it. Playing the same course everyday is something that improves my fun level for the game. Your course becomes a friend and a foe. The more it beats you up, the more it lets you win.

Nail meet head.
It is why resort courses have flourished in so many areas and also why so many resort courses switched to memberships as well. It will be interesting to see if it continues with the economy the way it has been.

Yes it is, and it's the sole reason I am wanting to join.

I have been playing this course every Wednesday for the past 5 months or so, and over the past 2 months, my rounds on the weekend have been here as well. The membership package has it's perks as well, and while it's not a full Country Club, it's in a convenient location and easily accessible.

Nothing annoys me more lately than a course with a fairly steep green fee ($60-90 in this area), still charges you a few bucks for a small bag of range balls. Some memberships here include full practice facility uses, some include a bucket a week, or some are pay per use, so there really isnt a standard here.

Also, I love when places have water coolers and a bathroom near the practice facility. Nothing special needed, but sure beats hoofing it back to the clubhouse or trying to jump into the woods without drawing too much attention.

Nothing annoys me more lately than a course with a fairly steep green fee ($60-90 in this area), still charges you a few bucks for a small bag of range balls.

Also, I love when places have water coolers and a bathroom near the practice facility. Nothing special needed, but sure beats hoofing it back to the clubhouse or trying to jump into the woods without drawing too much attention.
Now that our Golf "season" is in full swing, our prices are going through the roof, benefits of a membership keeps the greens fees low for locals. Another reason I am pondering the membership.

I'm impressed and unimpressed with my club when it comes to service.

They are better than the public courses in the area, but I don't think they are even close to a good resort course. At times, it frustrates the hell out of me and other times I figure you get what you pay for. It's not an expensive club.

The cart staff does many of the things you mention. They don't bring a cart to my car anymore, but they also know I walk. They do call me by name, which I think is one of the simple things that makes a difference.

Water is poorly placed, especially on the back nine, and it's not always full. Drives me crazy. Cart girls are rare and they don't carry much besides booze. Wait staff is ok, but they can't handle busy times because they staff bare bones. I've sat and waited quite a few times, which bothers me.

It's one reason that I doubt I'll join that specific club in the future.

I'm impressed and unimpressed with my club when it comes to service.

They are better than the public courses in the area, but I don't think they are even close to a good resort course. At times, it frustrates the hell out of me and other times I figure you get what you pay for. It's not an expensive club.

The cart staff does many of the things you mention. They don't bring a cart to my car anymore, but they also know I walk. They do call me by name, which I think is one of the simple things that makes a difference.

Water is poorly placed, especially on the back nine, and it's not always full. Drives me crazy. Cart girls are rare and they don't carry much besides booze. Wait staff is ok, but they can't handle busy times because they staff bare bones. I've sat and waited quite a few times, which bothers me.

It's one reason that I doubt I'll join that specific club in the future.
You joined this club a little over a year ago? Correct?

Having not been a member prior, to becoming a member; Do you think it was worth it?

Interesting. Hadn't looked at it that way before

Now that our Golf "season" is in full swing, our prices are going through the roof, benefits of a membership keeps the greens fees low for locals. Another reason I am pondering the membership.

Honest question as I have one on the way... With kids at home, would you feel pressure to justify a membership and actually using it enough to get the value? A couple buddies back east belonged to clubs when they started their families and were stuck in a year long commitment and werent really using it due to the new families.

I can see us joining a club when the kid(s) are big enough to use the pool, junior golf, etc. I am more interested in those first 3-4 years.

Any courses / clubs have daycare?? :angel:

(I DO NOT mean to make this a thread jack either)

You joined this club a little over a year ago? Correct?

Having not been a member prior, to becoming a member; Do you think it was worth it?

It was earlier this year. Basically for the 2012 season.

For the most part, yes it was worth it. It's a tougher course, which I think helped me in some ways. Made me force myself to take putting and course management more seriously. The practice area was a huge benefit.

Financially and socially, maybe not so much. It costs more than I can really afford to pay and I never ended up doing much besides the golf. I figure I can get a membership for about 1/4 of what I spent there next year. I think it might be different when the kids are older and we can enjoy something as a family.

Up in northern NJ, there are no clubs that have the customer service you describe. I'm sure the private clubs up here must have good customer service, but the semi-private and public courses lack what you experience.

Up in northern NJ, there are no clubs that have the customer service you describe. I'm sure the private clubs up here must have good customer service, but the semi-private and public courses lack what you experience.

Not entirely true. Go play Ballyowen or Wild Turkey, they have some or most of the bullet points, but you have to pay over $120 a round to get it.

It was sort of a culture shock the first time I played in Florida. Obviously, there are different levels of service, but I hadn't seen a good portion of the things that are very common down there. I'd say that TPC Deere Run is about the only public facility that offers service on par with a resort course.

Honest question as I have one on the way... With kids at home, would you feel pressure to justify a membership and actually using it enough to get the value? A couple buddies back east belonged to clubs when they started their families and were stuck in a year long commitment and werent really using it due to the new families.

I can see us joining a club when the kid(s) are big enough to use the pool, junior golf, etc. I am more interested in those first 3-4 years.

Any courses / clubs have daycare?? :angel:

(I DO NOT mean to make this a thread jack either)

When looking at the financial side of things, the membership will actually save me money over the course of the month. Especially when looking at range balls, and 9 hole rounds.

Green fees go up this time of year down here, and they will be close to $60/rounds. Membership will get me on for a third of that.

My club doesn't have a lot of those things you mentioned. It does have some, though. The best part for me is the staff. I'm up there all the time, so by now I think they know my number. I call up, they answer with "Hello Mr. Maikis, when would you like a tee time?". When my tee time comes, my bag is already waiting for me outside the pro shop so I can just grab it and head to play; they told me I didn't have to check in anymore. I'm really liking the relationship I'm building with the guys there and it makes me want to keep playing there.

In the summer I played Blue Bell CC here in Pennsy. My brother got married there and they gave him a free 2some. We called and made a time for 4 and they said it would have been a difference of $200 for the other two. We all chipped in and payed the difference. When we got there we were treated like rockstars. It was HOT that day and there was a cooler with ice and two hand towels to dry off. Tee's in the cart and divot tools as well. It's nice to get the Rockstar treatment every now and again. I think when you join a club, that's what your paying for. Customer Service!

I enjoy the small touches of class that some courses offer. Not class in monetary sense, but in the courtesy of showing a little respect. I'll most likely not join a club until I move away from Naples, but when I do, service will be of equal importance to the course.

Example, yesterday I played an incredible course but the staff didn't rest on just having a nice course. They took it to the next level by having exemplary service. The cart staff was amazingly friendly, actually met by the head pro upon arrival. The range was equipped with complimentary balls, but also bottled water, tees, and ball markers. Demo clubs were setup on the range for you try if you wanted, a robust selection as well.

People long to be shown appreciation. Do that and you've earned not only a loyal customer but someone who will speak highly of your course going forward. That is the best advertisement you can get.

I certainly agree the little things can make a difference.

Here in Tennessee we have Kroger supermarkets and Publix supermarkets. Publix is more expensive than Kroger. However, their stores are well-lit, immaculately clean, and their employees go out of their way to say hello, ask if you need anything and be incredibly helpful. They always offer to carry your groceries to your car, and it's against company policy for them to accept tips for that service.

Despite the extra cost, I'll go out of my way to shop at a Publix before going to Kroger. Kroger is not awful - they're just no match for Publix.

Similarly, a very rare thing in the golfing world which makes a difference is just to thank someone for their business. It's so wonderful to be greeted by a pro shop staff who is pleasant, courteous and says, "Thanks for coming out to play today," rather than the grumpy old guy who acts like he's doing you a favor by allowing you to drop $50 at his course.

Back