Big Break: Prince Edward Island [spoilers]

Not real happy with what we saw from Brenda tonight...

...Seriously, are women really just that catty to each other? And if so, why? And do men act that way?

Not a big fan of Blair's BeDazzler'd "Faith" trucker hats.

I'm rooting for Blair. I think she has the most upside potential and might be able to do something on the LPGA. Especially wit $100k at her disposal for practice, training, and Q-School prep. In contrast, I don't see Derek on the PGA Tour.

I thought she was being rather harsh as well. At one point Jacqui actually turned to me and said, "We women can really be catty like that!"

I'm not a big fan of trucker caps in general.

I'll be rooting for Blair too. Jacqui doesn't like her (haha) and will be rooting for Derek.

At any rate, I think Derek wins. Yes, Blair can putt, but she does miss a lot of greens so a lot of her nice putts are for par, not birdie. I think she will start missing some of those nice putts before she starts hitting a lot more greens. Derek hits more greens and gives himself more birdie chances. He won by what, three shots on the front nine? To be fair thoguh, he wasn't involved in any competition last night, since the real game was between Blair and Brenda. He was mostly just there for the ride.

I hope Derek wins. He's clearly the better player.

Blair's ridiculous hat and that equally ridiculous bow around her waste brought her down a notch.

Fortunately, her pants made up for those shortcomings.

Not real happy with what we saw from Brenda tonight.

First, I really hope when she was talking about chatting with Blair, that she said:
"I'm going to talk with [Derek] because [Blair's] about as interested as that piece of cardboard"
and NOT
". . . because [Blair's] about as interesting as that piece of cardboard."

Also, what was up with criticizing Blair for marking and lining up her ball on the 6 inch putt??? C'mon Brenda, you're the one who criticized Aaron when he didn't mark his ball (and then missed) on a short putt! Blair was right, it was too important.

Then there was the comment about falling asleep in the woods because Blair takes so long to hit every shot. Then shortly thereafter, Brenda says (about Blair's shot) "Just hurry up and go. Your chances of getting it on the green right now are sweet fanny nothing."
I'm not sure if it's true or not that Blair is a slow player (although I find it odd that, if it is true, we've never heard about it before); and I know that Brenda was frustrated with her play . . . but damn girl, take the high road. There was no call for those comments - especially sitting in the interview room after it was all over.

I'm not one to generally believe stereotypes, but I'm beginning to understand Juli Inkster's comment a couple of years ago (on LPGA players complaining about caddies on the practice putting greens, and the resulting ban) that:
"You know what? It's women," she said when asked for a comment. "If you just put that down, everyone will know what you mean. Just capitalize 'women' and you don't need to explain anything else."
Seriously, are women really just that catty to each other? And if so, why? And do men act that way?

Not a big fan of Blair's BeDazzler'd "Faith" trucker hats.

I'm rooting for Blair. I think she has the most upside potential and might be able to do something on the LPGA. Especially wit $100k at her disposal for practice, training, and Q-School prep. In contrast, I don't see Derek on the PGA Tour.

I also think Brenda wasn't very happy with Brenda last night. She apologized to Blair in her interview before I even brought up the cardboard or asleep in the trees comments. I didn't understand the cardboard statement, but I do believe now it is because Blair wasn't very talkative out there. So I believe she said "interested", not "interesting". But I'll have to rewatch the show to make sure.

Blair was a bit surprised as well about the comments, but was careful how she handled it today in her interview.

As for Juli's comment about women...

Until I started participating in forums I would have totally agreed with Juli about women being catty. But then I started participating on about 5 different golf forums. I learned that some of the cruelest and most catty comments often come from the men on forums (of course there are a lot more men in general on forums). IMHO, I believe women are more open about being catty. However, give a man a nickname and a funny avatar and they'll put women to shame in how they can tear apart another person while keeping their identity hidden. I could quote dozens if not hundreds of posts where this is the case.

So it's not just women who are catty - they are just more, dare I say, honest about it?

Okay, guys...feel free to tear me apart on this one - I can take it :bicker:

Derek has been clearly the best golfer from the first show. Gerina was a close second. Neither Blair nor Brenda can hang with Derek. Not to say he can't play one poor round of golf next week and lose.

Blair is pretty boring, the word vapid comes to mind. Just not a lot there in terms of interesting comments.

As far as her being this great putter, that just hasn't been the case. She has hit some long putts but she has three putted a lot as well.

We thought you preferred Blair without the slacks?

Well, that's a given, my dear Claire

Spoiler
In fact, without the slacks, the bow and the trucker-style hat would be just fine.

:quiet: sorry

Derek has been clearly the best golfer from the first show. Gerina was a close second. Neither Blair nor Brenda can hang with Derek. Not to say he can't play one poor round of golf next week and lose.

Blair is pretty boring, the word vapid comes to mind. Just not a lot there in terms of interesting comments.

As far as her being this great putter, that just hasn't been the case. She has hit some long putts but she has three putted a lot as well.

I do not agree with this statement. We do not see every putt that they have on the show...or maybe we do...but she has been money in the 3-6 foot range, which is the clutch range.

I also think Brenda wasn't very happy with Brenda last night. She apologized to Blair in her interview before I even brought up the cardboard or asleep in the trees comments. I didn't understand the cardboard statement, but I do believe now it is because Blair wasn't very talkative out there. So I believe she said "interested", not "interesting". But I'll have to rewatch the show to make sure.

Blair was a bit surprised as well about the comments, but was careful how she handled it today in her interview.

As for Juli's comment about women...

Until I started participating in forums I would have totally agreed with Juli about women being catty. But then I started participating on about 5 different golf forums. I learned that some of the cruelest and most catty comments often come from the men on forums (of course there are a lot more men in general on forums). IMHO, I believe women are more open about being catty. However, give a man a nickname and a funny avatar and they'll put women to shame in how they can tear apart another person while keeping their identity hidden. I could quote dozens if not hundreds of posts where this is the case.

So it's not just women who are catty - they are just more, dare I say, honest about it?

Okay, guys...feel free to tear me apart on this one - I can take it :bicker:

The Brenda moment that bothered me the most was when she was asking Blair to hurry up and hit the ball...you have no chance of hitting the green. She said this when Blair has the side-hill lie.

As for the comment about Derek being the better golfer, I just do not buy it right now. She has had a few bad holes, but so has Derek. She has been a clutch putter when she needed it...and she is very long off the tee. She is definately "David" in the finals vs Goliath. I hope she does it.

I still think it's going to be Derek. Simply because he hits more greens. I won't have a problem if Blair wins though.

Did anyone see that smoking hot model hit the 260 3 wood last night? WOW babe!

Boy did I !!! :alien2:
I think Derek is the overall better golfer but Blair can beat him and it would be great TV if she did.... :cool:

I love this program!! :clapp:

Hammer

Well, I stupidly did what I've stipidly done before: I decided to watch Morgan's Playing Lessons first (which broadcast after the BB episode) and of course the timing was off so my DVR picked up the last seconds of BB, meaning I saw Aaron talking during the credits. Damn. Spoiled it again.

Anyway, I sort of dazed off during the play a bit, I've got to admit. It's now becoming more golf competition and less reality show drama hour. Brenda's usual jest fest was much reserved today, perhaps a result of editing, perhaps not. I fear for my Gerina, whose been dealt a tough hand with the timing of her apparent bout of consumption or, maybe, TB. Derek did not play well at all, for him, but I still see him as incredibly talented and the likely winner. Blaire is much better than one might expect, but who knows if she's good enough to hang on to the end; she almost didn't hang on through to the top four. Going out on a limb, here's my predictions:

4. Brenda. Hate to lose your lilting editorializing, but I think you're time is come, sweet babe.

3. Gerina. Sorry. I've said it before: you're a stud. You deserve to be in the finale. But you're sick as a dog. That has to take something out of your golf.

2. Blaire. Look, I'm giving you the final two, but what do you want from me? You play powder puff football for money, for christ's sake!

1. Yes Derek, that leaves you, my cocky friend. Congrats. Now prove me right.

There you have it. Who else dares to handicap the final four in order? Awsi, want to make a gentlemen's bet? The wager? Your pride and good name.

Very tardy view of the recent pages here. Nice call on the final two, WSE. I certainly expected Brenda to depart before Gerina. Blair always looked like a solid bet to make it to the finals, at least once the Golf Channel producers strangely started hyping her game for no apparent reason in the weekly blogs at least six weeks ago, including assertion she would make the LPGA.

I'm baffled that Big Break apparently changed the format drastically for the finale. It's typically 18 holes of match play but every indication is the final was merely 9 more holes of stroke play, identical to the semifinal. There was a hint of that in this week's episode when Stina says welcome to the finals, or something like that. They treated it like 18 holes of a final, with a little technicality that only two advanced beyond nine holes. Derek says in his Golfgal interview this week that it was only 9 more holes, and Blair reveals it was filmed the same afternoon. That's also something I suspected after watching this week's group confessional. There's a reference by Blair that, "Derek and I moved onto the finals," or similar. Clearly the phrasing seemed to be past tense, that she was being filmed after the final result. Blair says they broke for lunch after Brenda was eliminated then advanced smack to the finals, which caught her off guard but Derek and Brenda apparently had heard a crew member tip the schedule.

That seemingly plays heavily to Blair's favor, only 9 holes. The stronger player has decisively more opportunity to prove it, the further you go. Maybe they altered the typical format due to uncertainty how the varied tee box distances would impact fairness. I still pick Derek but as a handicapper it's not as confidently as I would be of his chances at 18 holes. Heck, I fluked 37 on the back nine the other day. :D

Blair certainly is the most positive player I've ever seen in Big Break confessionals. No hint of anything but a beaming smile, other than one teary moment when she said no one wants to lose. It didn't seem like overly favorable editing, either. There's been no wobbles from her in Golfgal interviews. Not surprising she apparently has been signed by Golf Channel for a new venture, which Blair hinted at in this week's interview.

This version really suffered when Brian departed in midstream and Brenda advanced beyond her talent level, instead of the reverse. Every episode with Brian was a riot. Then the tipping point of the series was the Derek/Gerina elimination. The loser was gone and the winner became odds-on chalk against Blair/Brenda.

Couple of points on Brenda's comments re: Blair this week. I'm not defending her.

Mostly, Brenda had kept urging herself to play faster, particularly in last week's episode. So frustration with the pace of Blair's play is in line with that. Brenda needs to slow down.

Also, having had her best friend leave the prior show clearly left her a tad bereft. I think some of that got directed at Blair.

The best friend card got used far too much, in my opinion.Sure, be bummed abouit it but quit talking about it Brenda! One of you was guaranteed to lose at some point, sorry you had to beat her to put her in the elimination challenge. She was trying to beat you too. That showed me she wasn't hungry enough. Would Tiger or Phil or anyone else on tour had been so upset as to keep talking about it if they beat their best friend to advance so close to achieving a goal? Not thinking so. Nice to have your buddy around for the competition, but in reality they are just another person to conquer. Would she have been whining about it if she had beaten Gerina in the finals? I bet she would have mentioned it too much then as well.

Very tardy view of the recent pages here. Nice call on the final two, WSE. I certainly expected Brenda to depart before Gerina. Blair always looked like a solid bet to make it to the finals, at least once the Golf Channel producers strangely started hyping her game for no apparent reason in the weekly blogs at least six weeks ago, including assertion she would make the LPGA.

I'm baffled that Big Break apparently changed the format drastically for the finale. It's typically 18 holes of match play but every indication is the final was merely 9 more holes of stroke play, identical to the semifinal. There was a hint of that in this week's episode when Stina says welcome to the finals, or something like that. They treated it like 18 holes of a final, with a little technicality that only two advanced beyond nine holes. Derek says in his Golfgal interview this week that it was only 9 more holes, and Blair reveals it was filmed the same afternoon. That's also something I suspected after watching this week's group confessional. There's a reference by Blair that, "Derek and I moved onto the finals," or similar. Clearly the phrasing seemed to be past tense, that she was being filmed after the final result. Blair says they broke for lunch after Brenda was eliminated then advanced smack to the finals, which caught her off guard but Derek and Brenda apparently had heard a crew member tip the schedule.

That seemingly plays heavily to Blair's favor, only 9 holes. The stronger player has decisively more opportunity to prove it, the further you go. Maybe they altered the typical format due to uncertainty how the varied tee box distances would impact fairness. I still pick Derek but as a handicapper it's not as confidently as I would be of his chances at 18 holes. Heck, I fluked 37 on the back nine the other day. :D

Blair certainly is the most positive player I've ever seen in Big Break confessionals. No hint of anything but a beaming smile, other than one teary moment when she said no one wants to lose. It didn't seem like overly favorable editing, either. There's been no wobbles from her in Golfgal interviews. Not surprising she apparently has been signed by Golf Channel for a new venture, which Blair hinted at in this week's interview.

This version really suffered when Brian departed in midstream and Brenda advanced beyond her talent level, instead of the reverse. Every episode with Brian was a riot. Then the tipping point of the series was the Derek/Gerina elimination. The loser was gone and the winner became odds-on chalk against Blair/Brenda.

I'm not nearly as confident in my Derek pick as I would like to be. With these guys level of talent (i.e., skilled, but still amateurs), and with only 9 holes of play, Derek could easily blow up a hole and permit Blair to cruise by him. Nonetheless, I'm sticking with him.

TGC has been majorly pimping out Blair a bunch lately, including having her at the LPGA McD's Championship as well as the US Open, so I'm not surprised to hear that they are launching some new feature involving her.

I like Blair's game. She is not flamboyant, but she seems to be solid anytime she is faced with competition. I think Derek had better bring his A-game because she is a sleeper.

9 holes to decide $100,000. Were they short on time?

I have enjoyed this season of Big Break, but it sort of cheapens it for me if they only play 9 holes.

Derek certainly has some skills. I mean, I have hit my share of balls on the range and never had them touch. That was off the hook.

9 holes to decide $100,000. Were they short on time?

I have enjoyed this season of Big Break, but it sort of cheapens it for me if they only play 9 holes.

Well, two weeks and 9 holes.

Filming of the episodes took two weeks, or about one elimination a day.

Filming of the episodes took two weeks, or about one elimination a day.

I know that, it just sounded odd.

Spoiler
But we've come to expect that from Harry.

The final decision will be one day of 9 holes (assuming that is the case), but the players also competed for ~2 weeks to get to that final day.

The finale is tonight. In fact, it has just started. Getting ready to go watch it, as soon as it's 15 minutes in.

Watching it in real time for a change.

Derek is flying his Tiger Woods Sunday colors.

Back