Songs That Ruined the Legacy of Great Bands

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I just heard a song that made me think of this.

What are some songs that just ruined the legacy of a formerly great band?

The ones that popped into my head were:

• "Abracadabra" - The Steve Miller Band

• "These Dreams" - Heart

• "Rock Me Tonight" - Billy Squier (in all fairness, it was more the video than the song itself. You can't be a rock guitar hero and come out with something like that.)

Spoiler
[YOUTUBE]WZvl2aqIyNg[/YOUTUBE]

Enter Sandman - Metallica

I post more as I think about it

I wasn't ever really a Metallica fan, but everyone I know who is/was agrees with that C-Mac.

oh man i remember that Billy Squire video. that ruined him. i thought he was gay (not that theres anything wrong with that, lol) after seeing that for the first time. the song was OK, but the video was just terrible.

EDIT: Damn, i just listened to that song again and think its an awesome song, lol

The Scorpions- Wind of Change
I realize the song brought the end of communism, but it really sucked.

Bad Religion-Struck a Nerve
I like the song now, but I was very upset when it came out.

oh man i remember that Billy Squire video. that ruined him. i thought he was gay after seeing that for the first time. the song was OK, but the video was just terrible.

It's hilarious to watch w/out the sound:D That video totally ruined Billy Squire for me.

As for Metallica, Enter Sandman was bad, really the whole Black CD was. They've recovered pretty well from it and put out some solid stuff since then.

The Scorpions- Wind of Change
I realize the song brought the end of communism, but it really sucked.

Bad Religion-Struck a Nerve
I like the song now, but I was very upset when it came out.

Scorpions - yep.

Bad Religion - it wasn't their best song, but I wouldn't say it ruined their legacy.

Scorpions - yep.

Bad Religion - it wasn't their best song, but I wouldn't say it ruined their legacy.

did Bad Religion have a legacy? lol... i always thought they were just plain bad. as in terrible.

As for Metallica, Enter Sandman was bad, really the whole Black CD was. They've recovered pretty well from it and put out some solid stuff since then.

The Black Album was geared more towards the masses than their core audience. Sold them a lot of cd's, but pissed ticked off their longtime fans.

i realize a lot of people like this song, but i dont know why. i always hated it and thought it was horrible: Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard

did Bad Religion have a legacy? lol... i always thought they were just plain bad. as in terrible.

Hell yeah. They are widely considered to be THE SoCal punk band.

Stand by R.E.M.
another stupid song imo

Kokomo by The Beach Boys

Hell yeah. They are widely considered to be THE SoCal punk band.

am i thinking of another band? the one with Neil Schon from Journey and John Waite? hardly punk.

I WAS THINKING OF BAD ENGLISH!!!!

sorry

lol....thats the band i thought was just plain BAD

Scorpions - yep.

Of course they had a legacy. All the early records that were re-released with 80-85, Suffer, No Control, Against the Grain, and Generator. Recipe for Hate was their first album on a major label, people freaked out.

What about when Kiss went Disco with "I was made for lovin you"

i realize a lot of people like this song, but i dont know why. i always hated it and thought it was horrible: Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard

I think Rock of Ages ruined Def Leopard, they were better when the drummer had two arms.

What about songs that changed a bands legacy.
Exile- Kiss you all over.
Like Metallica and Bad Religion they lost a lot of their original fans, but it brought in a bunch of popularity by hitting the mainstream.

I think Rock of Ages ruined Def Leopard, they were better when the drummer had two arms.

i dont think that song ruined them at all. definitely a better song (IMO) than that Pour Some Sugar On Me crap, lol

Pyromania was released in 1983. Rick Allen didn't flip his car until 1984.

I was listening to the radio the news about Rick Allen broke. The DJ gave the news and then played "Lay Down Your Arms" by Led Zeppelin. True story.

Pyromania was released in 1983. Rick Allen didn't flip his car until 1984.

I was listening to the radio the news about Rick Allen broke. The DJ gave the news and then played "Lay Down Your Arms" by Led Zeppelin. True story.
You got me Harry, im not much of a fan. I only liked Foolin and Love Bites.

I think Def Leopard made most of their money off of royalties from Strip clubs. :act-up:

Anything Boston did after Don't Look Back.

Dr Feelgood by Crue was a stinker. I really dig their very early stuff.

Sugar Ray sold their everlasting soul to make the transition from struggling badass thrash band to pop sensation. Their first album, Lemonade & Brownies was awesomeness on a little silver disc. They influenced quite a few other bands from that area when their souls were still in tact.

Back