Callaway Adds Ryo Ishikawa

People who think this is a small signing just don't realize how big he is over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s great to see Callaway reach across the Big pond and add Ryo to their staff.
Perhaps we’ll see more of Ryo on USA soil in the future.

I think this is a great signing for Callaway. While he isnt THAT well known in the US yet, thats what they have Phil for.

This kind of sums up my feelings. I think it is much bigger than we might see it here

Its a huge move. He is one of only a handful of guys playing professional golf right now that actually does move the needle for consumers.

I can see this being huge overseas since Ryo is a big star there but this does nothing for me. Are they content playing second fiddle to TaylorMade in the US? They need a needle mover over here too.

See this is where we differ. What needle movers does TM have? One could argue that outside of Dustin Johnson, there is really nobody. They have a large amount of quantity, that is for sure, but I dont see the huge names like Phil is, Ernie is, and now Ryo is globally.

I really like this signing, Ryo does indeed have a huge upside and will be a great representative for Callaway Golf.

Great catch for Callaway! He's a golfing god over in Asia!!

Smart move by Callaway. I imagine Yonex is a little bit disappointed right now. That's a huge name to lose in their primary market.

What a great signing for Callaway, they get a little younger and add some real good talent!

But will he move over here and play in the PGA?

I'm pretty excited for Chad and the others at Callaway, this is just the beginning to a fantastic 2013 for the Callaway crew. What a great time to be working with those guys.

Very nice signing in my opinion - Callaway needs some young blood. For some reason whenever I think of Callaway anymore I think of "old timers". I don't know what it is, but I feel like they need some spice in their marketing and clothing line. Maybe it is because their big names are all getting a little older (Phil and Ernie to name two) or because really what does Arnold and Gary Player bring to the young generation. I certainly don't want them to go all Cobra/Puma, but I feel like they need some pizzaz across the board. I think they make good products but get passed over these days a little bit.

This is such an awesome pick up for Callaway, I think he will be a marketing machine for them. JMO.

My guess is that Ryo is not Player X. According to Harry, Player X can hit 7 iron 198. Ryo is long, but I don't think he's that long.

Very nice signing in my opinion - Callaway needs some young blood. For some reason whenever I think of Callaway anymore I think of "old timers". I don't know what it is, but I feel like they need some spice in their marketing and clothing line. Maybe it is because their big names are all getting a little older (Phil and Ernie to name two) or because really what does Arnold and Gary Player bring to the young generation. I certainly don't want them to go all Cobra/Puma, but I feel like they need some pizzaz across the board. I think they make good products but get passed over these days a little bit.

I can kinda understand this. The reason I felt a bit like this was due to the days of the original Big Berthas. That's the days I associate with Callaway and they've kinda stuck in that period in my head.

Lately though, Callaway are making some moves, freshening things up and bringing some really new and exciting stuff to the table. Looking forward to being impressed by Callaway in 2013.....

It is great for Ryo and Callaway, especially for Ryo as Callaway is a big name in golf but I was expecting something bigger.

It is great for Ryo and Callaway, especially for Ryo as Callaway is a big name in golf but I was expecting something bigger.

Something bigger? Callway is a pretty massive brand IMO.

Something bigger? Callway is a pretty massive brand IMO.

Think he means the player. Still, I think, long term thinking, Ryo is one of the hottest properties out there.

Think he means the player. Still, I think, long term thinking, Ryo is one of the hottest properties out there.

I think short term, Ryo is one of the hottest properties out there, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think short term, Ryo is one of the hottest properties out there, too.

Yep, fair point. But while he's not full time on the PGA Tour, some won't be able to see that.

Yep, fair point. But while he's not full time on the PGA Tour, some won't be able to see that.

PGA tour isn't everything. I bet he influences the Asian and European tours more than the PGA. That dominance elsewhere will be cleaned up by Callaway until he makes the switch and performs.

PGA tour isn't everything. I bet he influences the Asian and European tours more than the PGA. That dominance elsewhere will be cleaned up by Callaway until he makes the switch and performs.

We understand that, and so do most of THP. A foothold in the Asian market must be worth quite a bit for Callaway. I wouldn't say he's hot in Europe though, we don't see him much.

If its true, thats a HUGE pickup for Callaway. Ishikawa is a huge star in Japan, has a ton of talent and could be an equally huge star all over the world if he gets his game together and challenges to win tournaments and majors on a regular basis.

If its true, thats a HUGE pickup for Callaway. Ishikawa is a huge star in Japan, has a ton of talent and could be an equally huge star all over the world if he gets his game together and challenges to win tournaments and majors on a regular basis.

It's true.

Back