Songs That Ruined the Legacy of Great Bands

Dr Feelgood by Crue was a stinker. I really dig their very early stuff.

Sugar Ray sold their everlasting soul to make the transition from struggling badass thrash band to pop sensation. Their first album, Lemonade & Brownies was awesomeness on a little silver disc. They influenced quite a few other bands from that area when their souls were still in tact.

Agree with you on both points Gummi, but that should come as no suprise to you. That song SR had with the singer arguing with the lady in drive thru at the taco stand was the s**t

Thats funny Gummi, my first job out of high school was doing some lighting for the MTV beach house and Sugar Ray was there on my first day. They played that stupid Fly song about 15 times. The only thing that made the day was that the Bostones played too.

Thats funny Gummi, my first job out of high school was doing some lighting for the MTV beach house and Sugar Ray was there on my first day. They played that stupid Fly song about 15 times. The only thing that made the day was that the Bostones played too.

Bosstones rule!!! Seen them many times and they NEVER dissapoint!!!

God, none of this means anything to me.

Spoiler
Except I always liked Kokomo. So shoot me.

Wow...

Heart-These Dreams...one of the only Heart songs that I like.

Dr. Feelgood...great guitar album and song with many good songs, if anything on that album was rough it would be the ballads. This album and song did not ruin the bands legacy by any means...it was one of their best selling. How is that ruining a legacy?

Enter Sandman...great song and great album. It was tought to follow up the And Justice for All album, which was amazing but not a record for the masses. The Black Album did EXACTLY what it needed to do, launch the band into the a new category. How can you say that song ruined the band's legacy...which was the original question? 90% of people would not know Metallica without that song and that album...otherwise they would be a Megadeth...good band not but very niche.

I am thinking more of bands that were ruined by a specific song, like White Lion-When the Children Cry. It was their best known song, but they were not able to do anything after that and they became pegion-holed. They actually were great musicians and have done some great things since then, but that song killed the band.

How aobut Meatloaf-I would do anything for love? Another great song, but took him into a different dirrection for a comeback and has not been able to do anything successful since then.

Make sense? I think Harry was not asking what song ruined your personal thought of a band, but what song ruined their legacy as a band.

I would definatly agree with the Beach Boys and Kokomo. I love their earlier stuff, then they come back and release that schmultz...and nothing since then.

Faraway Eyes by the Rolling Stones.

As far as what WWPSD said, their "Emotional Rescue" album. Disco and the Stones do not mix.

Last edited:
Okay, not necessarily one particular song, but how about a whole new persona?? Like when Garth Brooks went and released songs under the name "Chris Gaines." YIKES :sidefrown:

I am a fan of all types of music. Garth was one of my oldie favorites because he went to my under grad, Oklahoma State. Then he goes and pulls that move and I almost disowned him...

Okay, not necessarily one particular song, but how about a whole new persona?? Like when Garth Brooks went and released songs under the name "Chris Gaines." YIKES :sidefrown:

I am a fan of all types of music. Garth was one of my oldie favorites because he went to my under grad, Oklahoma State. Then he goes and pulls that move and I almost disowned him...

Yeah the Chris Gaines album was bad. I bought it though. Along with 500,000 other fans just because it was really Garth Brooks. Have you heard the "unreleased" album with his last box set? He did a cover of "Fishing in the Dark". It's bad. :bad: There are a couple songs on it that are ok.

I am thinking more of bands that were ruined by a specific song, like White Lion-When the Children Cry. It was their best known song, but they were not able to do anything after that and they became pegion-holed. They actually were great musicians and have done some great things since then, but that song killed the band.

man i used to love that White Lion song: "Little Fighter". i miss the Glam Rock days, lol. so many good songs back then
:)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=9002683

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bo0_white-lion-little-fighter_music

G'n'R was one of my favorite bands...but we have to forget about that whole spaghetti incident.

(And everything thereafter, of course.)

man i used to love that White Lion song: "Little Fighter". i miss the Glam Rock days, lol. so many good songs back then

I have a few White Lion albums on iTunes right now and I like Little Fighter a lot, but they had no chance at ever being credible about When the Children Cry, even though it was a big hit. Their drummer toured for several years and did an album with David Lee Roth, including the Roth/Hagar tour. I have to admit that the dude handled the into to Hot for Teaher pretty damn well.

I miss that glam/hair rock as well and still listen to David Coverdale a ton. To me he is one of the best voices for a band.

Have you heard of Chickenfoot yet? Give them a close look and listen. Great debut album and great sound. I can not wait to see them on tour this summer in Charlotte.

I think Extreme's More Than Words did the same. Hugely popular song, but killed the ability for the band to ever do anything else.

Hw about WL Broken Heart, Cry for Freedom (my personal fav.), and Hungry...like those too?

I have the song to end all songs for this original conversation......The Final Countdown!!!!

Same premise as the When the Children Cry. I liked them a lot, but wow...where do you go from there?

Yeah the Chris Gaines album was bad. I bought it though. Along with 500,000 other fans just because it was really Garth Brooks. Have you heard the "unreleased" album with his last box set? He did a cover of "Fishing in the Dark". It's bad. :bad: There are a couple songs on it that are ok.

Touching "Fishing in the Dark" should be a no no!!! :shock: That's like trying to cover an Alabama song. You would fail

Touching "Fishing in the Dark" should be a no no!!! :shock: That's like trying to cover an Alabama song. You would fail

A lady after my heart. I love Alabama and trying to do a cover of their songs would be horrible. Fishing in the Dark was bad. But I guess if he released it first and not NGDB then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

A lady after my heart. I love Alabama and trying to do a cover of their songs would be horrible. Fishing in the Dark was bad. But I guess if he released it first and not NGDB then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Just for you, I turned on Alabama on my Pandora radio streaming in my office.

I have the song to end all songs for this original conversation......The Final Countdown!!!!

Ya right, that song still gets regular play on my IPod along with the Karate Kid song, and both of the songs from Rocky 4.
Europe did Carrie too, their legacy blew to begin with, so I dont think there was any way to tarnish it.

What is it about that song that makes you girls go gooey? It's a good tune and all, but I've heard several women tell that it's their mostest favoritest song evar.

What is it about that song that makes you girls go gooey? It's a good tune and all, but I've heard several women tell that it's their mostest favoritest song evar.

Well, I don't know about other girls, but it is a memory from my childhood. My aunt (now passed away) used to play it and we would dance in her living room to it. Now, it represents a great chilled out romantic night that most girls would like. If more guys would do what is in the song, it would be great! But, to defend the guys, you have to have a girl willing to go chill out and not be high maintenance.

I have a few White Lion albums on iTunes right now and I like Little Fighter a lot, but they had no chance at ever being credible about When the Children Cry, even though it was a big hit. Their drummer toured for several years and did an album with David Lee Roth, including the Roth/Hagar tour. I have to admit that the dude handled the into to Hot for Teaher pretty damn well.

I miss that glam/hair rock as well and still listen to David Coverdale a ton. To me he is one of the best voices for a band.

I think Extreme's More Than Words did the same. Hugely popular song, but killed the ability for the band to ever do anything else.

yeah, More Than Words was a good song (i would've never guessed what that song is REALLY about, lol), and i agree, that was NOT Extreme.

another one of my favorite White Lion songs was "Love Dont Come Easy". i was just listening to that on my ipod the other day. I actually never liked When The Children Cry. I always just changed the station when that song came on. never liked it.

Hw about WL Broken Heart, Cry for Freedom (my personal fav.), and Hungry...like those too?

Same premise as the When the Children Cry. I liked them a lot, but wow...where do you go from there?

oh man, The Final Countdown was friggin AWESOME!!!! LOVED/LOVE that song. man, those were some great years for music. I graduated High School in 87 so I was right in the middle of the Glam-Rock days. Night Ranger was one of my favorite bands back then. Ive seen them perform about a dozen times, lol. Night Ranger, Journey, Poison, White Lion, VH, Motley Crue, GnR, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Ratt, ACDC, Cinderella, Warrant, Tesla, Skid Row, Enuf Z'Nuff, LA Guns, Skid Row.....man, those were some fun days....

Back