6i: 150
7i: 140
8i: 130
9i: 120
pw: 110
gw: 90
sw: 70
lw: 50

these are very approximative as I usually use meters and I roughly converted them and I don't usually measure my shots exactly.

I was wondering if I should drop the 5w for a 4i as I rately use the 5w ever since I got my hybrid. I use it only on very long par 3s where I could choke up my 3w. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you truly only have a 10 yard gap between your 5-iron and 3-hybrid, I'd say no. since there would be no gap to fill

Yeah I would say no too since your distance gaps seem to be close enough, if anything I would look into your 3 wood, maybe you can get a bit more distance from your 3 wood with a proper fitting if you haven't already since your distance gap is a bit more wide their.

regardless, you have some great distances their and I don't see any significant distance gaps that worry me

Looking at your yardages, where is the 4i going to fit? I guess you'll hit it between 160 and 170. Can't you just choke the 3h down a bit? Any preference for the hybrid over the iron on certain shots?

The 5w is in my bag because I use it for fairway shots that I need more accuracy than my 3w (I hit 175 and 185 for the 5w and 3w).

I am actually going to change one or two numbers, just realized something went wrong with the conversion.

I am going to get fitted in march as I am getting new irons and new shafts for all my woods, my main concern is that I do not use the 5w so often.

I am going to get fitted in march as I am getting new irons and new shafts for all my woods, my main concern is that I do not use the 5w so often.

That's something that can be figured out during your fitting. Where a 4i would fit in or if it would, depending on your distances. The fitter may also change it on the other side of things like drop a 5w for 4 or 3 wood.

why not look into a 2 hybrid instead? now that' I've been nailing the 3 wood from the deck, I haven't pulled the 5 wood out either

getting fit will solve your problems and give you more consistency!

here is my suggestion if you have the 4i already toss it in the bag as long as your not playing for competition to add a 15th club to your bag and go play a couple rounds when the course is slow. And keep track of the number of times you hit it and the number of times you hit your 3h and 5wd in those rounds. I suggest playing all the courses you normally play or at least courses that are good variations of both design and distance so that you get a good overall feel of what clubs you play most often. If expense is a limiting factor on what clubs you get and re-shaft in march this will help you determine what is most beneficial to you and your game.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I will ask the fitter in march what he thinks is right.

I would say, yes. A 20-yard difference from your 5i to 3H is pretty big and a 5-yard gap between your 3H and 5W is a pretty minimal distance. You might want to consider a 4H though. I say give both a hit and see what you like better.

I definitely think either your 5w or your 3h should be removed in order to make room for a 4i (or a hybrid of similar loft).

I would assume the 5w is in the range of 18* and the 3h is in the range of 21*.. I would expect that gap to be a bit further, frankly.

I definitely think either your 5w or your 3h should be removed in order to make room for a 4i (or a hybrid of similar loft).

I would assume the 5w is in the range of 18* and the 3h is in the range of 21*.. I would expect that gap to be a bit further, frankly.

They actually have the same loft.

it all depends on you man i like a 10-15 yd gap between my clubs theres only a 5 yd difference between your 5w and 3h so they are more then likely around the same loft if you through in a 4i all your irons would be a 10 yd gap but thats all up to you my man

Here are my distances:

Driver: 230-250
3W: 200
5w: 185
3h: 180
5i: 160
6i: 150
7i: 140
8i: 130
9i: 120
pw: 110
gw: 90
sw: 70
lw: 50

these are very approximative as I usually use meters and I roughly converted them and I don't usually measure my shots exactly.

I was wondering if I should drop the 5w for a 4i as I rately use the 5w ever since I got my hybrid. I use it only on very long par 3s where I could choke up my 3w. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Yes to fill that gap between the 3H and 5I

First, I can't hit a Hybrid to save my life...I envy you!

Your question: Should I drop my 5W for a 4i?

I would say: Keep the 5W and drop the 3h for a 22°, 7W

Just a suggestion! :golf3:....(I love these emoes)

I would. Or more likely a 4 hybrid. I dropped my 5w this year but put in a super lob 64°. So I go D/3w/4i. However, I'll be mixing up my wedges to add a 3h asap.

I like this idea for you. All depends on what you feel more comfortable with, wood or hybrid.

This is not a bad idea buy my hybrid is my go-to club, I hit it off fairways, bunkers, rough and use it for punch shots so it's definitely the club which I am not parting with.

What is the loft of your 5 wood and 3 hybo? aren't they farily similar?
This is not a bad idea buy my hybrid is my go-to club, I hit it off fairways, bunkers, rough and use it for punch shots so it's definitely the club which I am not parting with.

I'd advise picking up a 4 hybo and drop 5wood. No reason to have two if the same loft in the bag

Thanks for the suggestion, will try a 4 hybo and a 4i and decide.

You can also try a 4 iron with a graphite shaft. I went to one from a 4 hybrid and it flies straighter for me.

Back