Push driver right, natural draw with irons

Chris77

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi
I have always struggled off the tee with my driver - blocking/pushing my drives out right. Although I seem to get away with it with my irons which tend to have a natural draw shape.

Could you let me know how I could correct this.....it's costing too many shots off the tee!

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the question. It sounds and looks like you are having a harder time squaring up the club with your driver compared to being able to square it up and hit a draw with your irons. The first thing I would change (from looking at your video is having the ball position closer to your left heel at address and a wider stance with your right foot. This will get you behind the ball more at address and make squaring up the clubface easier. Then in the swing it looks like you getting stuck at impact with your body so your arms have a harder time getting through the ball. To help this stabilize your left knee in the backswing (less movement) and then feel like you straighten it up in the downswing really quickly. When the leg straightens up it will help to give your arms more space and you will be less likely to get stuck. Use a chair behind you to make sure your rear end maintains contact with it at all times in the swing. It would be interesting to see a down the line video for you too since that is a better view to see this swing fault. Hope this helps.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

I too have the same problem with my driver, I can hit my irons great and hen it gets to my hoods I start missing to the right, I saw a video of my swing and it looks like I'm Hitting a power fade since my timing on the release is late.

My instructor mentioned I need to release earlier for longer clubs, is this true Josh miller?

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

Yes it sounds like you need to work on getting your right forearm on top of your left forearms right after the golf ball. This will show that you were squaring up the clubface better on the downswing. Feel like the toe of your club is coming into the golf ball first on the driver swings. In my experience the driver just exaggerates the issues of not squaring up the clubface and that is why you are experiencing more issues with it. Hope this helps!

Josh Miller
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

I had the same issue pushing my drives big time. I had my ball too far back (almost middle of my stance) and most importantly, I didn't bring my club head back in a straight line behind the ball. i was pulling it too tightly so coming in to out and just pushing it over there. Also, my shoulders were not square with my target. Fixed my push anyway. I'm no pro but from what I learned your ball is too far back and try bringing your club head back straighter on your take away/backswing. I'm sure the pros here will have great advice but this worked for me.

Yes it sounds like you need to work on getting your right forearm on top of your left forearms right after the golf ball. This will show that you were squaring up the clubface better on the downswing. Feel like the toe of your club is coming into the golf ball first on the driver swings. In my experience the driver just exaggerates the issues of not squaring up the clubface and that is why you are experiencing more issues with it. Hope this helps!

Josh Miller
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks Josh, This will definitely help, my slices start straight and then go right, and when I think released early, I play some of he best tee shots of my life

I will work on this a lot

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

Josh Miller
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Josh this is what I'm talking about, other than the left knee buckling and sliding the hip a bit at the top of my swing, I'm working on this release timing. I also notice that when I slow down my swing this much, I can't square the face as easily, could you take a look at this swing since I have very similar problems to the original posters? Thank you

Josh,

Thanks for your response, I will try the ideas you mention and let you know my progress. Now I look at it the ball in my stance is way off my left foot!

I've uploaded a front angle swing below...does this tell you anything different?

Thanks
Chris

Josh,

Thanks for your response, I will try the ideas you mention and let you know my progress. Now I look at it the ball in my stance is way off my left foot!

I've uploaded a front angle swing below...does this tell you anything different?

Thanks
Chris

Chris

Be real careful basing things solely off video. Even slight changes in angle can make things - like ball position - look different then they are...

Back