What is Your Biggest Pet-Peeve on the Golf Course?

One of my favorites ever...
Drunk guy: "My personal experience has been, when a woman says no, she really means yes."
Julie: "That's strange. My personal experience has been, when I say no, I really mean no."

Can you believe this would fly?! (While we're talking about pet peeves and drunks. :angel:)

There's an old, tacky joke about ladies and diplomats. Thought it was retired long ago:

If a diplomat says yes, he (it was always a he back then) means maybe.
If a diplomat says maybe, he means no.
If a diplomat says no, he's no diplomat.

If a lady says no, she means maybe.
If a lady says maybe, she means yes.
If a lady says yes, she's no lady.

There's your drunk for you!

I know this thread is old - I hope it's ok I'm posting here. I play on an older tight New England style course most of the time. It's the course where people insist on using their driver and end up not just 1, but 2 holes over. I hate when the people who do that stroll into my fairway and proceed to hit their ball without waiting for me to hit my ball or wave them on. Not yielding the fairway is a major breach of etiquette that many people just don't seem to understand. :at-wits-end:

I know this thread is old - I hope it's ok I'm posting here. I play on an older tight New England style course most of the time. It's the course where people insist on using their driver and end up not just 1, but 2 holes over. I hate when the people who do that stroll into my fairway and proceed to hit their ball without waiting for me to hit my ball or wave them on. Not yielding the fairway is a major breach of etiquette that many people just don't seem to understand. :at-wits-end:

Agreed, and yes old threads are always okay to dig back up!

Agreed! I've been the one to end up a fairway over a time or two on a couple of the local public courses. If I do, I'll sneak around the trees, etc and check to see if someone is playing up the fairway. If they are, I'll sit between the fairways and wait for them to either hit past me or wave me to go ahead and take my shot. It's stupid and dangerous, both to the other golfers and yourself, to not yield the fairway to the group playing that hole.

Which CT "back and forth" track are we talking about, Diane? (unless you'd prefer not to reveal that info)

Which CT "back and forth" track are we talking about, Diane? (unless you'd prefer not to reveal that info)

Give me a little time - just got here. :bashful:

Mine has to be ball marks on the green!! Alot of courses give out divot tools for free..to use, not to put in your tool collection.

I'd have to say slow play. I have been so unlucky to be constantly caught by slow groups nowadays.

Fivesomes. Or worse: sixsomes.

Slow Play. I have a rhythm I need to get into if I am going to play my best golf. I can slow or quicken the pace of that a little, but when I am waiting on every shot I might as well go home. I played Friday on a crowded city course and even walking, I was waiting for long periods. It took 5:15 to get through the round. Surprisingly enough, I played the City Championship on this same course and we finished in under 4 hours playing it down and putting it out on a full course.

This particular course has been designated to be "Cart paths Only" through September of this year. It really slows play for those in carts. Us walkers have an advantage because we don't have to worry with the cart.

"Cart Path Only" SUCKS!

I would have to say the person that normally shoots around 105, taking 4-5 practice swings, lining up to the pin, taking 2 more practice swings and then duffing the ball 20 yards....

If I have not said so already, mine would be those pesky course marshals who drive the course backwards, park in front of you in plain sight, and sometimes with in range of your next shot. Don't like them, don't need them, since they don't do much of anything as it is. Of course I do understand the lure of free golf. The other evening I had one drive across the fairway in front of me twice while I was set to swing. On my third attempt I finally make my swing, and hit the green. As he drives by me his says "nice shot, I did not think you could reach the green from where you were." I told him "yeah, that it was quite a strain on my 8i." :bicker:

Lazy slobs who throw their empty beer cans wherever they feel like instead of placing them in the trash receptacles that are on every tee box.

i have a number of pet peeves that bug me!

slow play - i play mostly twilight rounds to avoid slow play

pitch marks - i hate when i approach a green and see several pitch marks :angry:

and lastly golfers (usually in a cart) who proceed to cut to the hole in front of you!!:angry: Then play slowly!!

....o.k. i'm done.:D

slow play by far is #1 for me.
Poor golf etiquette in general.

"Cart Path Only" SUCKS!

Hate that too, if it's that bad on the course just don't allow any carts period. I am headed out to play 18 in a few minutes & the course I am going to has issues with water retention. It rained last night & if they tell me cart path only, then I will walk instead of riding.

I would have to say the person that normally shoots around 105, taking 4-5 practice swings, lining up to the pin, taking 2 more practice swings and then duffing the ball 20 yards....

That would probably be my #1 complaint, well that & the ones who spend a full 5+ minutes looking for their Top Flite XL3000 or Nitro ball.

Slow play, loud drunks, and big egos would be my peeves.

Sand on the greens makes me nuts. C'mon guys, tap it off your shoes before you step on.

A**holes who don't fix their ball marks on the green. These are probably the same a**holes that you hear complain how bad of shape the greens are in.

Also, folks who don't play ready-golf. I'm not perfect but don't ride out to your ball, ride back to the cart path, take forever to decide what club to choose and then WALK back to your ball. WTH!!??

As most people have already said, slow play. I blame TV for this. Golfers have come to believe that it makes you play better to take a long time studying their next shot because they watch the pros do it on Sunday....C'mon people, this putt is NOT for $1.3 Million! Hit it and move on!

People that hit down on you and don't say anything. Group behind us hits the ball a plop shot about 2 feet from our group as we are walking off the green on a par 3. We look back and they're all just standing there looking at us like a bunch of inbred retards.

people in front of me doesnt bother me as much if they are good/slow players, but when the terrible 4/5 somes who have no one in front of them are sitting digging for their lost balls and yet not let me play through! ohhhhhhhhhh the nerve!!!! :angry:

We were on the tee on the 16th today when a guy from the 8th hole hits into our fairway. He waves at us to say he's going to hit. The other 3 women I was playing with are long hitters and he would have been right where they would hit. Long story short - the best golfer in our group who is a 7 HI decided he wouldn't have let us hit had the situation been reversed, so she tees up her ball and hits. She then insisted we all hit. Everyone had a great drive - including me and I have to tell you making him wait felt good. I know you guys don't understand this, but men do this to us on the course all the time. It's our fairway damnit and some women (not me) have game.

Back