askthejak

Reaction score
Handicap
I have loved my G10 so far (I think I hit 11/14 fairways yesterday, which is good for me). This has gotten me thinking about picking up a set of their irons. There are a couple on ebay I am looking at (black dot- so I could get them customized pretty easily- I am 5'11, so standard length is fine). What have your experiences been with these irons. I am looking at the i5's and G5's specifically.

Harry I believe plays the i5s, and he likes them quite a bit. I have played both sets that you are looking at and like both of them quite a bit. However if you are used to phenomenal feel, IMHO, neither of those sets has that.

I have the G10 irons and they have been great. Now that said I have a set of Taylor Made Burner '09's coming tomorrow. I heard these provide a little more distance so Im going to try them out and see which set I like more. If I like the TM Burners then the G10's will be going on Ebay soon. But like I said, they are great irons.

The Burners will be longer in most cases than the Pings and have been for just about everybody that has tried them. They are truly LONG irons.

That is exactly what Ive heard and am looking for! They were supposed to be here Friday according to FedEx but somehow they ended up in Syracuse on Friday and didnt make it. So I should have them tomorrow!

I don't worry to much about how long irons are, just not that big of an issue with me unless there is a serious dropoff. My Mizuno's aren't that long, but they spin and come down soft, so they can hold greens.

JB, is feel still lacking in the i5's? They are supposed to be something of a player's CB, so I was hoping that there would be some. How forgiving are they?

I will let the everyday users comment on them more than me, but I found them to have very little feel.

I will let the everyday users comment on them more than me, but I found them to have very little feel.

Okay, how about ballflight (high, low), distance, or spin? Don't mean to pester you, but you have hit them all, just looking for some insight.

No problem. Ball flight for me was pretty high. Not really penetrating, but got up quickly. That could have been the shafts I had in there though which were the Nippons. Distance was a little short for me compared to others I have tested such as the Nickents, Nikes and TMs. Did not use them enough to measure spin.

No problem. Ball flight for me was pretty high. Not really penetrating, but got up quickly. That could have been the shafts I had in there though which were the Nippons. Distance was a little short for me compared to others I have tested such as the Nickents, Nikes and TMs. Did not use them enough to measure spin.

Gotcha- I have Nippons in my Mizuno's and yes, they do launch high, but I don't mind it. It is pretty easy to hit a knockdown, but that is irrelevant. Thanks for the input.

The Burners will be longer in most cases than the Pings and have been for just about everybody that has tried them. They are truly LONG irons.

Heh-heh. Literally. Burner irons are 1/4 to 1/2" longer than other sticks.

I love my i5s. I think they have a very soft feel. The stock shaft is a a high ball flight. They have less offset and a narrower sole than the G5s or G10s, but are MUCH more forgiving than the i10s.

But irons are so personal (perfect example - JB isn't keen on them, but I am), you should find a way to hit them if possible. Maybe a local store will have a used set you can demo.

Don't forget to check out Callaway Pre-Owned, which has a few sets in stock. Unfortunately, non-Callaway clubs don't have the "buy back guarantee."

Another option is to wait until the G15s/i15s (G20s/i20s?) come out this fall. Rumor has it that the new i model will return to more of an i5 design instead of the i10, which was more of a player's club.

Great insights, thanks Harry.

And Callaway pre owned even has a left handed set in steel stiff. Hm.. 415 for 3-PW. I am watching one on ebay that is 390 buy it now for 2-UW.

Ball flight is high, but I tend to disagree with JB on this one, and feel they have the best feel for a Cast iron. I just can't describe really how good these irons are, isn't much to say, but I recomend them. With your handicap I think you should look at the I10's, S57's or S58's.

i would just get s57's or s58's personally. as far as i know they are a little heavier in the head which i like because after playing the same irons, mp-32's with like d2 or d3ish swingweight, and now playing i10s with d0, i would prefer having s57s with d1. also chances are, like most have said, that the i10s will be the least forgiving in the mix. this is probably true, but i haven't really found that to be a huge deal. in my honest opinion i believe that you would prefer s58's or 57's

I played the 1/3 blades for a couple of years before getting on the iron merry go round. Ping irons are made out of a hard cast stainless steel, however the vibration dampening insert on the back makes them feel much softer than anything else I have tried that was cast and stainless steel.

To be honest I do not think they are much harder than the AP2's I am currently playing. I don't think the feel changed much between the 3 and 5 series based on the demos I have tried.

I love my S57's. They feel really good, I ordered them with the Nippon 950GH shafts (98g) in standard length, black dot lie.

They're D1 swingweight, my set is 5 iron through PW. I carry hybrids for the long irons, and Eidolon wedges.

Back