Women hug, men shake, why

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
I don't understand why at the end of a professional round women hug each other? It is just uncomfortable to watch when golfers who are not friends hug or when they hug the caddies. Why can't the women shake hands like the men? I don't know why, but this bugs me.

Get out of my head. I was just talking to someone abot this yesterday...hehe

Its more acceptable I guess. Tradition I guess. There are way too many differences. I am still trying to figure out the pants vs shorts thing.

Whoa. I was thinking the same thing yesterday watching Wegmans! I was going to make a thread but forgot.

The caddie hugs, in particular, are so forced that it makes me uncomfortable just watching. It's that A-frame, lean-in, but don't actually touch hug.

I agree, they should just shake hands.

Spoiler
Or they could smack each other on the butt like football (American football) players.

It's always bugged me too. But I'd hate to be the first she to stop hugging. "Oh no she didn't! Beotch!" J/k but in truth if this is to stop, then Bivens would have to say in a players meeting, look, don't hug anymore unless you particularly feel like hugging from here on out. And I can just imagine how well she'd handle that speech.

PROPER HUG TECHNIQUE:

[YOUTUBE]qMmv7NHmkfk[/YOUTUBE]

One of my best friends, who was an all-american wrestler and is built like a bull, always hugs his close male friends and tells them that he loves them. Kind of caught me off guard the first time, but I think nothing of it now, and just return the gesture. He is probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

I have no issue hugging other men, but don't hug many of them. It just isn't really the dynamic that male friends have with eachother, with few exceptions.

My wife says women hug because they are more loving towards other people in general, but more so with people that they are friends with. Something about the loving nature of motherhood. :confused2: With men, a hand shake is more of a respect thing towards another man, regardless of how well the other man is known to them. In a business setting most women I know will shake hands first, if they do not know the other person very well. :comp:

I grew up in a very, very Irish (and old European in general) section of Minnesota, granddaughter of immigrants. We used to kiss in greetings and goodbyes. As a girl and young woman, I found hands on shoulders or the two hand shake (when you shake right hands, then clasp your left hands on top) paired with a kiss was appropriate with men, and a hug and kiss was appropriate with women. Men like my brother would do the THS/kiss with women, and just the THS with another man. I never saw two men hug and kiss in this more casual way.

I wonder if it all evolved from the old world customs? I know for me these were hard habits to kick as I got older, and more people moved in who weren't comfortable with this. I still catch myself doing the two hand shake if it's a step more intimate than just a straight business relationship.

But I agree...there are some moments that are awkward as all get out when women that competed and don't want to hug, do. The Olympics come to my mind as being full of them.

Most of my really good male friends do the shake hands and pat on the back type of hug with the arm you are shaking hands with ending up being the "personal space" divider in the hug. If I don't know them well enough they get the fist bump and that's it.... Examples:

Yes:
man-hug4.jpg

No:
mccain-hug.jpg

No:
manhug2.jpg

HELL NO!!!
manhug.jpg

:clown:Wow CraigMac...nice of you to post a self-picture in that last one!

If it were up to me I would rather shake hands than hug. I hate the awkward hug when you weren't sure if the other person wanted to hug or shake hands. I wish it was the same across the board, all shakes or all hugs.

The problem is that everyone on the LPGA does hug, so everyone is forced to, which leads to some very uncomfortable, pat on the back kind of hugs. I agree that there is no way to stop this "tradition" unless it was a joint decision made by all the golfers. Which can't and won't be done for various reasons.

The problem is that everyone on the LPGA does hug, so everyone is forced to, which leads to some very uncomfortable, pat on the back kind of hugs. I agree that there is no way to stop this "tradition" unless it was a joint decision made by all the golfers. Which can't and won't be done for various reasons.

Maybe we could buy the domain name "stopthehug.com" and start a petition.

And while we are at it, let's get "thewoodinitiative.com" to force announcers to call fairway woods "woods" and not "metals" or, worse, "metal-woods."

the LPGA should do the fist bump

or maybe the Sammy Sosa thing, no not Steroids.

I was thinking the LPGA players hugged after the round so that way during the post round pillow fight in the locker rooms no one thought they were being mean. Someone's not going to tell me that they don't put on their nighties and have a huge pillow fight are they?

I guess it never bothered me. Then again my family is very huggie.

I was thinking the LPGA players hugged after the round so that way during the post round pillow fight in the locker rooms no one thought they were being mean. Someone's not going to tell me that they don't put on their nighties and have a huge pillow fight are they?

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that there is, in fact, a post round pillow-fight.

Nice call, Bogey.

Maybe we could buy the domain name "stopthehug.com" and start a petition.

And while we are at it, let's get "thewoodinitiative.com" to force announcers to call fairway woods "woods" and not "metals" or, worse, "metal-woods."

Lets also start "shutupthegetintheholeguy.com" too!

Back