Walk, Ride or Caddy?

Diane

Reaction score
I don't often play with a caddy, but I do - I definitely play better and not just because they're telling me exactly where to putt. A good caddy is a lot better at club selection than I am. Next, I'd have to say when I'm walking - I'm more focused and always have the clubs I need with me. When do you play your best golf - walking, riding or with a caddy? Or do you see no difference?

Riding.

I have never had a caddy.

I tend to play better when others that I'm playing with are a lot better than me regardless of whether I'm walking, riding, etc. Aside from that, I play better walking as it gives me a different rhytmn (sp?) than when I'm riding. But if its beastly hot and humid I'll do better riding since I'm not expending as much energy

Walking, unless its summer in Texas.

Never had a caddy. I don't need an audience for my failures.

I like to walk. Sometimes I'll hump my bag, but usually I'll put it on my trolley.*

I play my best golf when I'm alone. It doesn't matter much if I'm walking or riding. It's the distraction of other folks not being there that allows me to focus and really hit good shots. These are my happiest moments on a golf course.

I've never been fortunate enough to play a course with caddies.

*Some courses around here don't let you use a push/pull cart, they insist that you carry, or rent a car from them. It seems as though some knuckleheads think it's OK to drive their trolley across the greens.

Last edited:
Ride. My course does not allow walkers before 4pm and I dont like to walk either way.

I play better when I walk, but get stuck riding most of the time, because a lot of the courses dont allow walking.
Ive never had a caddy because most places around here dont offer them. But if I ever get a chance I will for sure.

I fall squarely in the walker category. I like to walk and carry. My rule in Arizona is to walk if the temp is below 106 and ride above that. Of course, in the Tucson area, there are lots of courses that just will not let you walk. The courses are built with lots of long walks between greens and the next tee box. There, I have no choice except that when playing with my men's club, I walk the hole and hitch a ride to the next tee box. I have actually had a marshall make me put my bag on the cart just to prove I wasn't actually walking.

I am an official "Walking Member" of the USGA and I have a bag tag to prove it. LOL!

I always ride. Most of the courses I play are ride only due to the space between holes. I probably wouldn't walk anyway. I like to enjoy my time on the course, and walking when it is really hot isn't enjoyable. I would like to walk with a caddy sometime, but no courses around here offer it.

I walk most of the time, and sometimes use the services of a caddy when available. Riding in a cart would be #3 on my list. I don't carry my bag when I walk, preferring to use a trolley. My bag probably weighs 35+ pounds.

Having a caddy is a perk of sorts to me. A caddy makes the round more fun, and most times easier to play. This is true on courses I don't play enough to remember the little things that help with scoring. I don't think I play any better with a caddy when compared to walking a course on my own. This I attribute to enjoying the round from a different perspective. Something I would like to see with regards to the subject of caddies, is to have a PGA tournament where the pros do not have the services of a caddy. They would carry their own bags, and do all the other things they rely on their caddies for.

Most, if not all my lowest scoring rounds have been while walking. I can get into, and maintain my rhythm easier which helps with my swing tempo, and timing. To me, walking the course is the way this game should be played by those physically able to do so.

Riding is something I do with family, and friends. Again the idea to still play well, but the emphasis is more on enjoying the company of family, and friends. Most local tournaments I play in require a cart. Another time I might ride is while traveling, and I stop to play a course that has a lot of hills, and valleys. Carts do serve a purpose even for those of us who do not use them very much. They generate revenue which helps to keep green fees lower for everyone. :comp:

I played recently with a couple of guys I do business with at their club and they didn't make a move without the caddy directing them. The caddy chose their clubs on every shot and read every putt for them. On one hole, one of the guys questioned the caddy's read, but went with it anyway and missed. I asked him why he didn't trust his own judgement and he responded that the caddy was usually right.

I've never been anywhere that has caddies, so no experience with that. But I seem to play better when riding in a cart, especially on the back 9 when I'd be tiring out if walking.

No difference.
I disappoint myself, regardless.

I have only had caddies at courses that supply them. Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, Bandon, and they really don't help all that much. Occasionally the caddie I have is a good player so he is able to add some direction to my play, but usually not.

I enjoy walking but so few places allow it and as others have mentioned the walks between tees are crazy so carts are usually involved. I have grown to like having the cart. I have the sand nearby to fill the divots and towels are easy to just hang on the cart rather than it falling out of my bag whilst I am walking and have to run back and get it.

I walk a 9 hole par three with a small bag and a handful of clubs but if I'm playing a regulation 18...I ride. Had some parts removed from my spine years ago and there's no way I could carry the bag 6000 yards. Plus the breeze generated by the cart speed feels soooooo good when riding between shots on a hot day.

The only times I've been able to use a caddy have been when I'm the only woman and the only leftie. It's not fair to the caddy, trying to be two places on the hole at once, and I'm the one who gets the short end of the stick.

I prefer to walk, and I really don't like being the one driving the cart. When Hubby drives, I mostly end up walking anyway.

I played recently with a couple of guys I do business with at their club and they didn't make a move without the caddy directing them. The caddy chose their clubs on every shot and read every putt for them. On one hole, one of the guys questioned the caddy's read, but went with it anyway and missed. I asked him why he didn't trust his own judgement and he responded that the caddy was usually right.

Add me to the list of people who are now curious about where you play.

The only track around me that I can think of that offers caddies is Chambers Bay. (I'm guessing Seattle Golf Club and Broadmoor do, but I'll probably never have the chance to find out first hand.)

I dont think i play better either way, but when i play with better people i play better. period. Who i play with usually dictates whether i ride or walk(gma, dad, mom, some friends, other friends, etc)

Add me to the list of people who are now curious about where you play.

I am only lucky enough to have a caddy if it's a business outing and someone else is paying. I play local munis and pay for play courses in CT and NY for the most part. I belong to a league and we have a lot of outings to try different courses. My father and brother belong to a club so I also play with them at times.

Dosen't matter if I walk or ride, pretty much score the same. Don't want a caddie & would turn one down if offered.

When it is really hot and muggy, I will carry a bag with only half a set of clubs. It lightens the load and gives me a chance to work on half shots, etc. It is fun to manufacture shots.

I can see how a caddy could help with reading greens, letting you know where is the better place to hit, how far you have to hit to avoid trouble, things like that, but club selection? Do they watch you on the range before the round? How do they know how far you can hit your clubs, normally? Or is giving you the yardage what people consider club selection?

When it is really hot and muggy, I will carry a bag with only half a set of clubs. It lightens the load and gives me a chance to work on half shots, etc. It is fun to manufacture shots.

I walk but don't carry, that's why push carts were invented.

I can see how a caddy could help with reading greens, letting you know where is the better place to hit, how far you have to hit to avoid trouble, things like that, but club selection? Do they watch you on the range before the round? How do they know how far you can hit your clubs, normally? Or is gving you the yardage what people consider club selection?

The good caddies will watch you on the range. Whilst I was at Pinehurst the caddie came out and watched me hit balls on the range to see the distance and trajectory of my shots. He was probably the best caddie I have had.

Lately been playing better while riding but I think it's because I have simply been playing more in general. My local course is running a special...all you can golf after 5:00 with a cart for $19. Regular price is $50 with a cart for 18. Never played anywhere that had caddies.

Back