Matrix 6x3 White Tie - THP Review...Preview

This is a nice looking shaft for sure. High launch, low spin, the promised land! Will be interesting to follow along.

FINALLY, a calm, clear, and beautiful day. The White-Tie will be getting a workout today, thoughts to come this evening. I'm eager to see it in non gale-force winds.

FINALLY, a calm, clear, and beautiful day. The White-Tie will be getting a workout today, thoughts to come this evening. I'm eager to see it in non gale-force winds.

Looking forward to getting somemore feedback. Looking for a direct comparision between this shaft and the B. Asha.

Well, I finally got out for a full round with the White-Tie in NON insane winds and it was a good day.

As a reminder I've got the Matrix White-Tie 6x3 in stiff flex and its playing 44.75' in my 10.5 RAZR Fit head.

The 6x3 is the new version of the OZIK XCON with essentially more tech built into it for stability and feel. It is spec'd to be high-launch and low-spin which is an intriguing thing to me and heading into hitting it honestly a bit daunting as I've always felt like a high launch player anyways and have used shafts on the opposite end of the launch spectrum as this one. On course and in hand always tells the tale though.

What I've seen so far is not what I visualized as a HIGH launch, for me it actually sits on the upper end of the mid-high spectrum. With the flight the ball gets up but from what I've seen so far it doesn't balloon for me, it just climbs, eerily similar to what I see with the B.Asha but with more of an arcing path than a flat-line path while it climbs. I cringe to talk about "feel" because its so dang subjective, I will say it is right on par with what I expect out of Matrix and their quality of shafts. I have seen so far that it responds better for me not necessarily to a less aggressive swing but one with a better overall tempo to it.

Its so early its still tough to put out "certainties" with this one, plus, everyone's mileage will vary depending on what fits them. So far though, yes it is a higher launching shaft and it seems to really be truly a low spinner, I need to get on a monitor to try and confirm that in the next week or so though. I plan on getting out again today to get more thoughts on it.

As always though, if you have any questions PLEASE don't hesitate to ask as I'll do whatever I can to answer them for you!

I am very surprised you're seeing an arc'ed flight rather than a straight line path in height.. I would expect the reduction in spin rate + high launch would equate to the "up in a hurry and hang" style launch.

Thanks for sharing Jman! I'm eager to hear about your next experience.

I am very surprised you're seeing an arc'ed flight rather than a straight line path in height.. I would expect the reduction in spin rate + high launch would equate to the "up in a hurry and hang" style launch.

Thanks for sharing Jman! I'm eager to hear about your next experience.

Its hard to describe dude, ESPECIALLY compared to the B.Asha because I've NEVER seen a shaft with a flight/reaction/line/trajectory like that. SO, it is more arced in comparison, but nothing like I have seen in some others. Its a hard and finite thing to try and describe, ya know?

I'm with Dan. I would've imagined more of a hanging flight vs an arcing ball. Some numbers should paint a clearer picture of what you're seeing Jman.

How was your dispersion? And yes, I have to ask about feel. You can just say it wasn't whippy or boardy and I'll be happy.

Its hard to describe dude, ESPECIALLY compared to the B.Asha because I've NEVER seen a shaft with a flight/reaction/line/trajectory like that. SO, it is more arced in comparison, but nothing like I have seen in some others. Its a hard and finite thing to try and describe, ya know?

I definitely hear you... I have found that one of the hardest things about shaft testing is trying to compare flight to some sort of crazy baseline, because I really don't think there is one.

What you've noted here definitely clears the air for me though.

A nice looking shaft and good to get to start reading your reviews. Good stuff.

I'm with Dan. I would've imagined more of a hanging flight vs an arcing ball. Some numbers should paint a clearer picture of what you're seeing Jman.

How was your dispersion? And yes, I have to ask about feel. You can just say it wasn't whippy or boardy and I'll be happy.

Thank you for asking about dispersion.. I had completely forgotten it. If you don't mind Jman, throwing a comparison between the white tie dispersion and again the B.Asha would be very beneficial for me!

Hahaha, no problem dude. It is certainly solid in the feel department, no whippiness at all to it and in though it is solid the certainly is not "board like" there is enough there for me that you can indeed feel the shaft through transition. Its nowhere near as stout as I found the Black-Tie to be, but few things are or have been for me.

As to dispersion for you two, yesterday minus my one snap hook (my patented miss with any driver) it truly was very tight. When I got out of the way and swung with a good transition/tempo the ball was on line with where I wanted it to be every time with only the slightest of baby fades at the end, and I mean slight.

I hope this helps.

Great review so far Jman! That shaft looks awesome.

Those rough Okie winds can be terrible... I've hacked it up many a time at Jimmie Austin in some brutal winds.

What about the dreaded shaft shudder, notably on hits on the toe side of the clubface? Anything at all?

In my experience it seems to be more about the right flex for each golfer, but I've experienced some shuddering in my very limited session with a black tie.

What about the dreaded shaft shudder, notably on hits on the toe side of the clubface? Anything at all?

In my experience it seems to be more about the right flex for each golfer, but I've experienced some shuddering in my very limited session with a black tie.
I honestly stayed away from the toe-side yesterday, which is ASTOUNDING for me as I usually do toe the piss out of 1-2 per round with my "tee turrets". I'm sure I'll have something for you today there.....sadly. HA!

Sounds perfect man. I was a big fan on the Xcon which this is replacing so I imagined the feel would be in the same ball park. For me there should be just enough resistance to feel it without getting in the way, which is why the Black Tie is such a bad fit for me.

I honestly stayed away from the toe-side yesterday, which is ASTOUNDING for me as I usually do toe the piss out of 1-2 per round with my "tee turrets". I'm sure I'll have something for you today there.....sadly. HA!

hahaha!!! When you said your miss was a snap hook I figured that was the case.. There are a few shafts/heads on the market that for some reason boomerang the clubhead/ball on impact and force a snapper.. I look forward to hearing whether the Fit/white tie does that.

You playing that thing at Neutral?

Sounds perfect man. I was a big fan on the Xcon which this is replacing so I imagined the feel would be in the same ball park. For me there should be just enough resistance to feel it without getting in the way, which is why the Black Tie is such a bad fit for me.

The Black-Tie was certainly STOUT for me personally, not nearly as stout as the Devotion6 X I tried to play in my Classic. This though, you can certainly tell it is the XCON platform IMO. I will say that Matrix never ceases to amaze me with what they put out, some of my absolute favorite shafts out there with CRAZY quality.

hahaha!!! When you said your miss was a snap hook I figured that was the case.. There are a few shafts/heads on the market that for some reason boomerang the clubhead/ball on impact and force a snapper.. I look forward to hearing whether the Fit/white tie does that.

You playing that thing at Neutral?

Damn hook. Hehe

It was a HORRIBLE swing dude, no turn at all and all arms, I knew it was coming mid swing but if I tried to Na it mid swing I'd end up in traction.

I do play it in neutral but with the 2g weight replaced with a 6g to help me feel the head.

Great looking shaft you got right there!

Gonna make it out today for a round after work so there should be more thoughts tonight/tomorrow. Taking the B.Asha-4x/11.5 combo for the sake of actually seeing the flights one after another rather than replaying form memory. Should be a good time.

Had a fun day with this one yesterday, even with my driver demons that have crept in from time to time.

I did hit it and the B.Asha 4X head to head (though the Asha is in an 11.5 head) and the flights were very similar as far as a penetrating and climbing standpoint with the White-Tie being the higher of the two, as it could be. Add to that though the White Tie was longer than the B.Asha for me and just as tight dispersion wise. Mind you, not a ton longer to some, but for me 4-5 yards is a LOT.

Still lots of thoughts rolling around in my head before I sit down to write this one up and I should get alot more QT with it tomorrow since I'll be putting up 2-3 rounds!

J,

Didn't know if you have had much of chance to play around with shaft lately or if you have been on a launch monitor with it. But would you consider this a high-launching shaft? I put a Radix 6 HD X in my R11 which I thought was going to be higher launching, but its fairly low, which fine with me. I have enough ball speed to get plenty of carry. I'm thinking of this shaft in Xflex in a RBZ Tour 3 14.5. Looking for a solid fairway finder for med length Par-4's. Would probably look at it in the 7x gram range, would be a 7x3?. Whats your thoughts on this shaft for this use?

J,

Didn't know if you have had much of chance to play around with shaft lately or if you have been on a launch monitor with it. But would you consider this a high-launching shaft? I put a Radix 6 HD X in my R11 which I thought was going to be higher launching, but its fairly low, which fine with me. I have enough ball speed to get plenty of carry. I'm thinking of this shaft in Xflex in a RBZ Tour 3 14.5. Looking for a solid fairway finder for med length Par-4's. Would probably look at it in the 7x gram range, would be a 7x3?. Whats your thoughts on this shaft for this use?

PD, the review for this one I believe should get up later this week or early next. For what I found though it was for me certainly on the very high end of mid-high on launch. I really got a pretty ball flight out of it in my time with it as my gamer and came away quite positive on the experience. It opened my eyes to high-launch shafts and the fact that I don't need low launching shafts like I believed for so long, high and low spin is a GOOD thing.

The 7x3 in S flex has a raw weight of 76g's if that helps! I think it would be a quite nice fairway shaft in a 3w at a 70g-ish weight BECAUSE of the launch, its certainly be something I considered after this review.

I've heard so many great things about matrix ozik shafts, especially from guys at the MC last year, so I'm really looking forward to hearing some thoughts on this shaft

Back