Can't hit the 4 iron!

harrinjj

Reaction score
Handicap
For some reason I am having issues hitting my 4 iron. I don't have any issues hitting my 5 iron and up. Instead of a 3 iron, I have a hybrid so I have nothing to compare to with less degree irons. The irons are new (Nike split cavity victory reds), which were fitted for me. I didn't have any issues hitting my 4 iron from my last set (Taylor Made racs), so I have no clue what's going on? Any ideas or tips? Thanks!

What type of shot are you getting or is the contact just poor? This type of issue is normally something very small. Double check your setup....and make sure the ball position is where it should be. If you check the basics 9 times out of 10 you will get it. If not please let me know what type of shots you are getting and I will get you some more info and insite.

ya who can? haha i give mine a try at the range every couple weeks but still not good enough id hit it in regulation....but i do know that you have to hit more in a sweeping motion, unlike a stabbing one that youd use with a gap wedge or even 9 iron

when i start getting staby with it i just hit a push/fade

when i get too sweepy i hit a pull/hook or big push

what exactly do you mean by bad?

I didn't even order a 4 iron with my latest set, for the reasons you just described. I can hit the dickens out of my 3&4 hybrids though (#2 is giving me fits, so it's a sometimes thing). :D

Well it is different depending things I try to fix it. I take my normal setup (ball position front center) and I try to take my normal swing. Sometimes I thin it, other times I just fade it, and sometimes I hit it fat and pull it. I actually went today to work on hitting it. At first the same old thing. Then I took my 5 iron and hit that instead. No issues there. I tried to mimic the swing and all of a sudden, my 4 iron was going straight with pure contact. I think my issue was that I was afraid of bad things happening and I was gripping the club too tight. I took some pressure off my grip and started stripping it. Hopefully this will continue on the course.

Back