Women hug, men shake, why

In golf, it may only be the women hugging, but in business, it's men too.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203937504574252261140036116.html

Good catch, Diane--I saw that too, but you got there first.

I remember Miss Manners's* advice from years ago about unwanted office touching, but you have to be ready for it: shriek really loudly and jump. That ought to prevent it from happening again.

Spoiler

That's the possessive for a word or name ending with a single S. With two Ses, just an apostrophe at the end, as for a plural possessive.

I remember Miss Manners's* advice from years ago about unwanted office touching, but you have to be ready for it: shriek really loudly and jump. That ought to prevent it from happening again.

If it's a client and they want to hug - I hug, but I don't like it in business. I live in CT, but close to NYC. People here are a combo of standoffish New Englanders and "stay out of my space" New Yorkers.

Spoiler

That's the possessive for a word or name ending with a single S. With two Ses, just an apostrophe at the end, as for a plural possessive.

But is Miss Manners really that sort of name, such as Moses (Moses's tablets) or Charles (Charles's appendix)?

Edit: And here, I've screwed it up. "Moses" gets special treatment: "Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names in -es and -is . . . ." Strunk & White, The Elements of Style 1 (2nd Ed. 1972). And the rule isn't limited to proper nouns: "Form the possessive of singular nouns by adding 's. Follow this rule whatever the final consonant." Ibid. So you're right.

But is Miss Manners really that sort of name, such as Moses (Moses's tablets) or Charles (Charles's appendix)?

Worst - Are you trying to stage a coup to be the Grammar Czar?

Worst - Are you trying to stage a coup to be the Grammar Czar?

Given my edit, above, clearly that would be a travesty.

I have a slight edit to the original question. I have 2 golf etiquette questions.

1. My friend is a lefty, after the round he has on his glove and he goes for the shake. Is he suppose to take it off for the shake? Shaking hands with the glove on is sort of awkward, I think.

2. Sometimes after the round (especially on the PGA Tour) guys will take their hats off for the shake. Is this required? Is it rude not to take off the hat?

Thoughts?

I have a slight edit to the original question. I have 2 golf etiquette questions.

1. My friend is a lefty, after the round he has on his glove and he goes for the shake. Is he suppose to take it off for the shake? Shaking hands with the glove on is sort of awkward, I think.

2. Sometimes after the round (especially on the PGA Tour) guys will take their hats off for the shake. Is this required? Is it rude not to take off the hat?

Thoughts?

Depends on what kind of shake we're talking about :D wakka wakka

Thoughts?

You guys will probably jump on me for this, but I think a man should take his hat off, but I wouldn't.

You guys will probably jump on me for this, but I think a man should take his hat off, but I wouldn't.

You wouldn't if you were a man, or you wouldn't as a woman?

I take my hat off when I shake hands on 18. It's a sign of respect. It also allows your playing partner to respectfully search your scalp for tics or other pests picked up during the round, and for you to return the favor.

It also allows your playing partner to respectfully search your scalp for tics or other pests picked up during the round, and for you to return the favor.

I imagine if you have a tic, it would be noticed even with your hat on. Now a tick on the other hand might not be.

I imagine if you have a tic, it would be noticed even with your hat on. Now a tick on the other hand might not be.

Masterful!!

From the lefty perspective--I prefer shaking gloves off, and I'm trying to get better about removing my glove to putt. That right there fixes the problem.

From the lefty perspective--I prefer shaking gloves off, and I'm trying to get better about removing my glove to putt. That right there fixes the problem.

Except when you chip it in on 18!

I disagree. Coming from a cold weather climate, we used to shake with gloves on. You can get static and a zap if you both yank your gloves off, and anyway, I know I'd appreciate no sweaty palm contact if I could! :smile:

Are you Claire's evil twin?

Spoiler
Wait, Claire is evil, so what would that make you? The eviler twin? The slightly less evil twin?? The equally evil twin???

Are you Claire's evil twin?

Spoiler
Wait, Claire is evil, so what would that make you? The eviler twin? The slightly less evil twin?? The equally evil twin???

Wait a minute--I'm my own evil twin!

Back