Driver Adjustability - How Often Do You Use It?

I had a TM r7 driver that I used to move the weights around. I now have a Super Tri. I haven't tinkered with it much. But I LOVE the ability to change shafts! I just got TM R11S 3 & 5 woods. I haven't had time to have extended range time with them, but I suspect few changes from neutral.

I've had several adjustable drivers. After getting everything setup initially I have never once changed it. This is the reason I'm not the biggest proponent of adjustable drivers, sure there are some who use it, but 99% of us likely get it and leave it alone. To me a good driver fitting will get you what you need to know, you get the driver that fits your swing based on that fitting and you shouldn't have to change it again.

When i owned the R9, I set it to the TP setting and left it alone completely. The person I sold it to at my club has never even touched the weight, nor do I think he has a clue where it is haha!

My R11 3 wood is set to 14.5 (from 15.5) and aside from that, has not been adjusted.

Most people I know don't mess with them. I like the adjustable drivers because I like the idea of shaft swapping with relative ease.

After being fit, I rarely do. I will play with my fct for fun or my asp. Yet, I am on a setting where I can crush drives. If anything, I would tinker with driver shafts...

I was given the optimal settings for the Razr Fit for my swing during my fitting at the Callaway Performance Center.....Face set to open with the weights in draw bias position....and when it came in that's how I set it.

I have tinkered with it here and there, but it seems that I am just better with those settings and I always end up back there.

i tinkered with almost every setup when i first got my R11, trying to find the perfect combo for my swing.
the weights i moved once, and left. but i only had the stock set of weights.
the shaft, i changed a few times. going back and forth between 10* and 10.5*

i would agree with those numbers, that they majority of golfers never use them, at least past their first initial setup. and i'm admittedly part of that group, in a way.
but...if given the choice to have it or not in my driver, i'd rather have adjustability. just so you can always have it, if and when you may need it.
i also think it's amazing for interchanging shafts. even though i'm personally not doing that frequently, it really comes in handy when testing or tinkering or whatever.

I adjust when things are really awry, but I'm not convinced I know enough about the equipment to make the right balance of adjustments. I was comparing my r11 to the 910d2 the other day and the fitter, almost immediately after hitting my sample shots into the screen, grabs my club and adjusts the loft to 9.5 ... Immediately the spray I was getting left and right narrowed by 20 yards on EACH side of the virtual fairway.

I've had it for a year and a half and had never tried that setting. I'd tried to add loft, change weighting, open the face, etc etc. And this guy knew in 20 seconds what to do.

After playing the 910D2 for the last year and a half, I honestly don't see me ever going back to a driver that ISN'T adjustable. That being said, I am one of those people that have never tinkered around with the weights on it, partly because I didn't feel like spending the extra $ for the weights. If I had them, then heck yeah, I would play around with them and see what happened. It's just not an expense that I felt like making, just to play around. I tinker around with the hosel quite a bit. I currently have my 8.5 driver set at 10.0 with a fade bias (its not helping much with my pulls and pull hooks). But bumping the driver up to 10.0 has been nice, especially when I dropped a stiffer, lower launching shaft into it mid-summer. I have been flipping between 9.25 and 10.0 most of the summer, seeing which trajectory I like the best. Also, with the adjustable drivers, it allows me the opportunity to swap a shaft on the fly or simply slap another one in before heading out to the range or while on the range, without all the epoxy, cutting, and work.

With my R11 I set the loft then really never messed with that to much but the weights I changed around quite a bit, it's fun to see the changes it has on the ball flight.

I know for me, especially with the Fit, after I bought the weight kit I play with the weighting quite often, particularly shaft to shaft. As for the hosel, I leave it at neutral, for me the hosel is more for easy interchange/tinkering of shafts.

I never set the face to open or closed. Until I got the Fit I never even messed with weights either, but with the Fit I tinkered a little bit. I still kept the heavier/lighter weight in the same positions but I just lightened the heavier weight to reduce the total weight and it seemed to work well.

I have owned a few and have tinkered with the adjustments and weights on all of them.

When I first got my R11s I spend about an hour at the range with it finding the settings that worked best. After that day I never touched the adjustments again.

I screwed with my R9ST way too much. To the point I never knew what it was gonna do. When I switched to the AMP, I never touched the adjustments once after the day I bought it. I've gone back to a non-adjustable and I think it might stay that way.

I have a TM R11, I will play with the weights some but hardly anymore because I've got em adjusted the way I want it now.
Now for the other 2 adjustments I dont believe the hype! Both of those can be done by rotating the club in your hand.

The hexagon that suppose to open or close the face can only work if you ground the club then take your grip.
The hosel adjustment cant just change loft. The adapter is round not eccentric or elliptical thus its no different than rotating it in your hands.
The main reason for buying the club is the ease of trying different shafts
Sent from my DROID X2

I almost wish there was some CG adjustability in drivers..

To an extent there is. Some of the TM drivers had a rear weight port, the Z-Star has one as well. You can move the ball up or down by changing the weight from heavier to lighter.

To an extent there is. Some of the TM drivers had a rear weight port, the Z-Star has one as well. You can move the ball up or down by changing the weight from heavier to lighter.

That's what was best on the R9!

Sent from my DROID X2

That's what was best on the R9!

Sent from my DROID X2

Did the 460 have that or just the supertri? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Did the 460 have that or just the supertri? I can't remember off the top of my head.

i think the 460 had it as well

when I got my R11 I used to tinker around with the loft and the face angle, it was fun but I never got a consistent ball flight. In a conversation with my instructor during a lesson, he fitted me with my driver.

I got lucky with the TP Blur 65 shaft-which was a recommendation from him, and we set everything to neutral and hit a few shots, he determined that I needed more loft to get the right amount of backspin and launch for my driver. I ended up turning the loft up by .5 degree, and leaving the face at neutral and the weights at the draw configuration.

This was done in april, and I had my new grip set on the shaft as it was, so I haven't changed a thing because my drives have become more consistent

460 no. S.tri yes

Sent from my DROID X2

I just got my first adjustable driver about a month ago and I keep it on the setting it was set to from my custom fitting. I have taken the head off the shaft just because I could but it stays on my fitting setting when I use it.

460 no. S.tri yes

Sent from my DROID X2

That what I was thinking but wasn't sure. That's something I hope they bring back in the new line but I doubt it will happen. A simple adjustment that can really make a difference for a golfer.

When I played the R7 & R9 I played with adjustments all the time. More to see what other combinations would produce. Once I got bored of that I set the clubs and left them alone.

I've switched the settings in my VRS but found what works best and left it alone. My feeling with adjustability is to get it set in the ship with a proper fitting. This eliminates special orders and time lost. Once the club is set the owner shouldn't have to mess with it.

I tinkered with all the options on my R-11 when I first got it. I used them to dial in the right ball flight and such.
Once I got it dialed in, I have only changed the loft in it once. I had a slight swing change and the ball was flying just a little lower than I wanted.
So, I made one adjustment and all is well !

Back