Carry or pull cart?

I don't walk much anymore, which is to say never, but when I did I always carried. The course where I would walk was very hilly and many of the holes and natural drainage through the low areas and I found using the cart you always had to walk around anyway so it was much easier to carry so you could take a straight line. I also found that it was sometimes more work and strain up the hills using a pull cart (newer push carts might be different) than it was just to carry.

It's $11 here and the strange part is if there are 2 of us sharing a cart its still $11 EACH....havent figured out that math yet.
Because you aren't renting a whole cart, you're renting half a cart. Imagine if there were three of you and they charged the third double because he was riding alone.

For me, it's carry 9 months out of the year. June, July, and August are often in the 90s and I'm just too tired by the end of 18 holes to keep at it. I believe in carrying wholeheartedly. I will support push carts also because it gets people walking. Anything to support walking. In the midst of summer I push myself due to the heat.

I think golf carts should only be for those over 50 and those who for whatever reason are physically unable to walk18 holes.
The part in red is why the part in blue will never happen. Plus carts are a HUGE, that's H-U-G-E revenue for courses.

You want to play by those cart rules? That's what the PGA Tour is for, and also what the Senior Tour is for.

I rarely walk but when I do I use a cart most of the time. My C130 cart bag is to heavy (29.7lbs) to lug around a golf course.

Because you aren't renting a whole cart, you're renting half a cart. Imagine if there were three of you and they charged the third double because he was riding alone.

The part in red is why the part in blue will never happen. Plus carts are a HUGE, that's H-U-G-E revenue for courses.

You want to play by those cart rules? That's what the PGA Tour is for, and also what the Senior Tour is for.

I'm aware carts will never go away....... but that isn't going to change my opinion.

I will ALWAYS walk the course unless I'm at a course that simply doesn't allow it. Up untill a couple weeks ago I would always carry my bag, but now I bought a Clicgear and this thing has already upped my enjoyment of the game of golf. It's easy to push, you have somewhere to put everything, and It's so much easier to golf in the rain now...me and my clubs can stay dry.

I'm aware carts will never go away....... but that isn't going to change my opinion.

Wait until you need the cart to carry the beer cooler!

Sorry, I don't know anything about CaddyTek.

I know Costco has them on sale... I went with Clic after reviews... Had to cancel Amazon order for Caddytech.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just turned 64. I carried for many years. About 9 years ago, I started using a push cart. Then four years ago I started using a motorized cart to carry my bag. The last couple of years I have had to ride sometimes due to osteoarthritis of my knees. The right knee has been replaced and the left knee flares up occasionally. I still walk as often as I can with battery powered cart.

Truth! My Clicgear can be quite heavy the first couple of holes until we lighten the load. Most of the really good tee time deals up here include cart so I will ride when I am playing with my buddies but I always walk when I am by myself, unless it is twilight.

I just turned 64. I carried for many years. About 9 years ago, I started using a push cart. Then four years ago I started using a motorized cart to carry my bag. The last couple of years I have had to ride sometimes due to osteoarthritis of my knees. The right knee has been replaced and the left knee flares up occasionally. I still walk as often as I can with battery powered cart.

Good for you, sir. Take care of your knee and hit'em straight and long!

If you eliminate the beer drinking, you might be lower your handicap. I know it's a tough call :)

I don't do beer during my rounds unless it's a scramble format and the foursome doesn't have a chance to win.

If you eliminate the beer drinking, you might be lower your handicap. I know it's a tough call :)

I don't do beer during my rounds unless it's a scramble format and the foursome doesn't have a chance to win.

I don't anymore. But I did in my 20's!

Well that's a Ignorant! what are u some big money guy who has endless amounts of cash to blow on golf?

Hardly. I'm anything but. Here's some cold hard economic realities of the cheapest course near me. It costs $21 to play 9 holes -- WALKING. It takes $24 to play 9 holes if you rent their push cart. A riding cart rental alone is $30 per person on top of the round. On weekends, people tee off every 6 minutes from 6 AM through 3 PM. Even with those prices, demand far outpaces supply.

I walk far more than I ride as a result. I only ride when I'm playing with older people (i.e. pushing 70s) who are going to wear out when walking 18. As stated, I have carried and push carted and for me the push cart is the way to go.

I think that JimmyCricket65 summed up the reasons that I see very well:

1. It can ruin/hurt my aging back - in a long run, if not by a freak accident (I have slipped an inch or so on a cart path).
2. I was young when I started carrying and must have had a subliminal ego affecting my decision. A push cart did seem to say, "I am getting old."
3. I want to be able to carry extra items while a round of golf - lunch, snack, drinks, gps, rangefinder, etc.
4. I will be walking and getting my exercise still but my shoulders and neck won't be sore. My lower back also response to carrying clubs. What was I thinking - I completely ignored a tiny pinched nerve on my neck.
5. Push cart can help improve my golf swing as far as energy is concerned. Weaker leg and tired shoulder does affect my swing.

There's also a 6th reason -- it gets pretty hot in the summer where I live. People routinely come off the course pouring sweat, even with a push cart. Add potentially passing out due to heat to that list.

When I see people carrying around here, it is almost always a younger guy whose average age is about 23. There's some small cost savings that I can understand. Most of it really is ego driven though. I was at that age once too and understand where it comes from.

Part of getting older is to better understand one's limits. Yes, I'm technically still in the prime of my life, but I want to stay that way. For my long term health and enjoyment of this game, I'm fully convinced that push carting will help me versus carrying.

After renting the push cart this past year, I picked up a Clic Gear. I can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:
I know Costco has them on sale... I went with Clic after reviews... Had to cancel Amazon order for Caddytech.

At 48 I push my Clicgear cart around the course at every opportunity. I think out of about 40 rounds this year 6 were in a cart. I enjoy the exercise myself, it makes my doctor happy to.
Good choice going with the Clicgear, mine has served me well and except for a few scratches on the main tube is in excellent condition. It rolls as easy as the day I bought it and the only issue I have ever had is the front brake. (once in a while the big round knob pops out of the cam. It pops right back in too.)

Thinking about getting a push cart this year. I live in DFW area and its just to hot to walk in summer months but in winter I walk. I carry however been looking at the click gear 3.0 for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 48 and have a Clic Gear 3.0. I prefer to walk as I can think about my shots as I approach my ball. I need the storage for the 2 dozen balls I carry with me.

i'm 52 and have been using mgi navigator for about 10 years now. love walking but not carrying for 18 holes. i'll only carry if i play 9 holes.

i'm 52 and have been using mgi navigator for about 10 years now. love walking but not carrying for 18 holes. i'll only carry if i play 9 holes.

... And you are hot looking for 52!

Carry for me, but these days its usually only when I'm by myself or with 1 other buddy.

In the autumn I prefer to carry.
While walking I can put my hands in my pocket.
Which is a relaxing way to walk the course.

I use a push cart 80% of the time and ride the rest of the time...usually when it gets too hot. I do agree it's more of an ego thing to go from carry to push / ride.

Oh and for all those thinking to get a cart for next season...you guys should definitely check out this review. I will be looking at this and the clicgear...
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=18101

We use a Sun Mountain Micro cart. 4 wheels, really compact when folded up and very easy to walk with.

I'm 37, carry or cart it doesn't matter

Back